OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Strep throat and mouth calls??

Started by C_W, January 24, 2012, 10:38:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C_W

My little guy has been practicing hard for upcoming contest and today he went to the Doc and he has strep. Now he started getting a sore throat Sunday and hasn't used his mouth calls since Saturday. 

We have two choices.
1. Take a chance and throw them in some mouthwash and hope they are not contaminated or the mouthwash killed it.
2. Order up a whole new set. That set includes 10-15 calls that are all trimmed and broke in.

I know the safe bet is replacing them, but would the mouthwash kill it?

CW

Eric Gregg

StruttinGobbler3

Hmmm...as an RN my first response would be to replace them. I know thats a costly option but its the safest route. You will probably get several different opinions on this post, but that is mine. The Streptococcus bacteria can be a tough one to kill, and i have my doubts as to whether mouthwash could do the job. Sugarray would be a good one to get a second opinion from as he is a pediatrician. Good luck on your decision.
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

Eric Gregg

Quote from: StruttinGobbler3 on January 24, 2012, 10:47:00 PM
Hmmm...as an RN my first response would be to replace them. I know thats a costly option but its the safest route. You will probably get several different opinions on this post, but that is mine. The Streptococcus bacteria can be a tough one to kill, and i have my doubts as to whether mouthwash could do the job. Sugarray would be a good one to get a second opinion from as he is a pediatrician. Good luck on your decision.

Scratch what I said, and do what they say

TRKYHTR

You could always boil them. Oh wait a minute thats not going to work.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

stone road turkey calls

You can soak them in vinegar, the acid which is 5% should kill any germs. the only problem is the dbl. reed calls, will the fluid get in between the rubber. Iodine will work on organic germs. I would just replace them.
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

A. Felix

why wouldn't isopropyl alcohol work?  i know its bad if you drink it but in small amounts is it harmful?  i've been known to brush my teeth with it a baking soda....  i dunno what  could live threw that.

ctwny1

I myself would start over. Once you've put a mouth call in your mouth bacteria growth is rapid. Keeping them in a call case with a sponge saturated with Scope (Blue) or Biotene mouth wash and stored in
refrigerator keeps bacteria way down and keeps them safe for you to use.

Using Scope (blue) or Biotene will not destroy or damage mouth call latex. It will also keep reeds from sticking.

sugarray

Well, since I was picked to answer, I better get it right.

JK   :TooFunny:

My thoughts are it is really up to you.  My recommendation would be to replace them for the surest way to prevent recurrence.  Also, though, you can boil or run your toothbrush through the dishwasher after strep as well. 

So, I think the mouthwash soak and then rinse is a good thing to try as long as the alcohol content is high.  Then see what happens.  If he gets a recurrence, then you will have to replace them.

Raymond

catdaddy

Throw out the mouth calls. Saving on a few calls is not worth the chance of a strep throat recurrence. 

drenalinld

After a couple times of getting throat infections from using calls kept from the previous season even after a mouthwash soak before using them, i would recommend trashing them. I no longer use mouth calls from year to year.

turkey slayer

Quote from: sugarray on January 25, 2012, 08:39:55 AM
Well, since I was picked to answer, I better get it right.

JK   :TooFunny:

My thoughts are it is really up to you.  My recommendation would be to replace them for the surest way to prevent recurrence.  Also, though, you can boil or run your toothbrush through the dishwasher after strep as well. 

So, I think the mouthwash soak and then rinse is a good thing to try as long as the alcohol content is high.  Then see what happens.  If he gets a recurrence, then you will have to replace them.

Raymond

I'm going with the Doc!

ctwny1

A high alcohol content in mouth wash will distroy latex.

bird

Quote from: catdaddy on January 25, 2012, 09:11:15 AM
Throw out the mouth calls. Saving on a few calls is not worth the chance of a strep throat recurrence. 

I agree with catdaddy 100%.  Much cheaper to replace the calls then to have to keep taking the young man back to the doc.  Plus who cares about cost when it comes to your kids and their health.  Start over and replace the calls.

bird

Devastator

Quote from: bird on January 25, 2012, 11:25:51 AM
Quote from: catdaddy on January 25, 2012, 09:11:15 AM

I agree with catdaddy 100%.  Much cheaper to replace the calls then to have to keep taking the young man back to the doc.  Plus who cares about cost when it comes to your kids and their health.  Start over and replace the calls.

bird

i agree with these guys i went the last month without rinseing off the new hooks mouth calls i got from scott and almost had the sickness beat and on a sunday morning i got out the same calls and run them and guess what 2 days later i think i got pneumonia and am still trying to get rid of it.I KNOW BETTER THAN THAT,TO ALL,RINSE YOUR CALLS OFF !!!!!