turkeys for tomorrow

Help with the trumpet please!! video if you can stomach it.....lol

Started by drenalinld, January 23, 2012, 09:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drenalinld

When you have time i could use some pointers on the trumpet

www.youtube.com/watch?v=i17VVu8f71Y&feature=g-upl&context=G2bef61aAUAAAAAAAAAA

savduck

David, I think you sound pretty good. You have a good cluck, and if you have that you can get a good yelp. On your yelp try drawing more air, but dropping your jaw more.  

Experiment with the position of your lip stop and hand postition. Open and close your hands when yelping to get the notes to vary more.

i hear a lot of people say you run a trumpet by kissing.....I dont do that. I cant get good air flow. I tuck my bottom lip like Im biting  on it, and then I draw air like a baby sucking on a boob. I think you pretty well have what you need, its just a matter of training your muscles to control the air.
Georgia Boy

TRKYHTR

I don't feel like I am good enough on a trumpet to be teaching or helping anybody. So I'll just repeat what was said to me because I think I was doing alot of what you are doing. I hold my trumpet in my left hand and wrap my middle finger around and inside the hole on the bell end. I can fluctuate the amount of air coming in with my finger. This gives me the ability to get loud or soft. MKW told me one time to try and do a tree call on the trumpet. At first I thought there is no way I can make it that soft. Now I am able to do it. It is important to get the lipstop where you are comfortable. I like my mouthpiece a little longer than most. It's the big lips. Try calling as soft as you can. Decrease the amount of air taken in and slow down the sucking. Remember we are trying to sound like a turkey. Make it turkey when you are using it. Keep practicing. I have been sucking every day since I tried my first trumpet. At least a little. Good luck,

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

savduck

I agree Joe. I do a lot of soft stuff. When you first  start running trumpets, your lips are going to HURT. After a while you start to get the hang of it and you loosen your lips.  I didnt have any training or hints from anybody.....kinda trail under fire kinda thing, but the soft calling is something I do a lot of.

I hold all of my trumpets like a goose call. Barrel between thumb and index finger on my right hand. I cup with my left hand. Ive found some trumpets like a finger in them and some dont. They all need some type of backpressure though.....you just have to try different things to find the sweet spot.
Georgia Boy

savduck

Its all air control. I can hear your two note yelp trying to come out of Joes trumpet. We will play around with it when you get here this spring.

When your yelping, Do your first note then suck softer like Joe said and drop your jaw. It will come ...you just need some more stick time.

Georgia Boy

TRKYHTR

The last few runs of yelps sounded good. More trumpet time will get you more consistent. Good job keep at it you'll get better.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

drenalinld

This is silly, but I was nervous trying to make a clip with the trumpet because I have not confidence in it yet. Dry mouth, short of breath just like I heard that first gobble opening morning!!! I absolutely get better sound with less air and less pressure. I'll get there. Now the kee kee, that's not coming too well.....lol

savduck

David.....here is an exercise.

Take your trumpet and just suck air into it.........a solid draw....not clucking. Draw it in and see how high pitched you can get it. Just like your were whistling, just sucking.

Do that until you can get consistent. When you start getting consistent, try cutting your air off and then re-starting it. Thats how I yelp. The cluck is like popping air, the yelp is drawing air. The kee kee is also drawing air, only way harder with more pressure from your lips. I think your somewhere in between teaching your mouth and lips how to smoothly draw air and not pop it like the cluck.

Its coming. One day it will just click. Whats really funny is I did the same thing when I first filmed that mero and mudpuppi video a few months back. You sound good man.
Georgia Boy

Basser69

Like Del and Joe said back pressure is a big key to this whole thing. The double handed cup works for me but everyone runs them a little different. Part of this is you have to find what works for you. One of my little helps (for me) is facing forward I have the trumpet at about a 60 degree angle downward when I first start off. Also, a wet mouth piece seems to help also. I hope some of this helps a little and makes some sense.

drenalinld

It makes perfect sense, Scott. For me, it's a little like throttling a goose call. I'm a newbie on that thing also...lol

Nice call collection, btw!! :you_rock:

Houndstooth Game Calls

Wait, wait,wait one sec! Did I read "Like a baby sucking a boob"  :TooFunny: I might can get used to this trumpet yelping! lmao :TooFunny: You got my attention!!!

savduck

Quote from: Houndstooth Game Calls on January 24, 2012, 10:10:10 AM
Wait, wait,wait one sec! Did I read "Like a baby sucking a boob"  :TooFunny: I might can get used to this trumpet yelping! lmao :TooFunny: You got my attention!!!

Yes you did......people describe it as kissing, for me kissing method doesnt work doesnt work. Kissing pokes your lips out. You need to have your lips tucked in.

David, on your cluck.....your popping the air, on your yelp your drawing the air, but stopping it mid way through your draw.
Georgia Boy

Basser69

Quote from: Houndstooth Game Calls on January 24, 2012, 10:10:10 AM

Lyle, now you figured why we like trumpets so much!  :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

David, thanks!

drenalinld

That explains how Del can run a trumpet for 10-12 hours per day.