turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Pure Gold or Indian Creek

Started by tcolden, January 23, 2012, 10:44:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wingbonehntr

I have a browning silver and have both the 670 pure gold and the 675 Indian creek. I get equal results with those two chokes. I have also tried the 665 Indian creek but it didn't pattern as well as the 675. The jelly head by primos also shot well in my gun.  I currently shoot a 670 rhino with hevi 7s getting around 260 in the 10 @ 40yds.  Hope this will help.
               Brent

Fullfan

I have shot the IC and a Rhino through my X-2 ( same gun as yours) and the Rhino put up better numbers than the IC. Can not say about the PG choke though.  I was shooting the hevi mag blends hevi #6 and #7's. The rhino did bettel with all three.
Don't gobble at me...

chipper

I haven't shot the .675 IC  in my SX3 but I did shoot a .675 Madd Super Maxx and a .675 Kicks and the .665 IC out shot both of those with Winchester XRHD 3.5 2oz. #6 and Hevi 2.25 # 7.

ncturkey

Why is that?
Quote from: allaboutshooting on January 23, 2012, 11:29:59 AM
Of the 2, the PG would be my choice but I'd take a hard look at the Hevi-13 Turkey Choke as well.

Thanks,
Clark

goblr77

Quote from: ncturkey on January 26, 2012, 02:35:28 PM
Why is that?
Of the 2, the PG would be my choice but I'd take a hard look at the Hevi-13 Turkey Choke as well.

Thanks,
Clark

I don't know Clark's reasoning but I will offer my two cents. The Hevishot choke has internal steps like the Indian Creek and doesn't have all that many parallel slots that weaken the construction. The Hevishot choke I have in my Xtrema smoked every other choke I've tried using Hevi 7's. Plus it's cheaper than an IC. I feel the PG would be a better option than the IC as well, simply from a durability standpoint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ILIKEHEVI-13

Well I used to own a Browning Gold 3.5" semi-auto.  And I shot mostly lead loads with it and used a .675 Comp-n-Choke to obtain my best patterns.  I did shoot some Rem Hevi-Shot shells I think that were 3" 1.75oz  #6 loads out of this choke which now know is not recommended, but it shot super patterns.  But I will tell you that .670 to .675 should be about a great exit diameter to start with.  Both of these chokes will shoot.  Take your pick.  I have owned both but not for the Browning.  But in my Rem 870 both shot about the exact same.  

Todd1700

QuoteWhy is that?

I have spent a small fortune on various shells and chokes. I have barely gotten any choke/shell combo to break 200 inside 10 inches at 40 yards. The Hevishot choke with Hevi 7's put 278 inside 10 inches at 40 yards out of my 835. Not saying they will out perform every other choke by that margin in any gun of course. There is, of course, no way to kniow which choke a gun will like best. But I'd say they warrant being considered right up there with the other top chokes out there.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: goblr77 on January 26, 2012, 05:41:43 PM
Why is that?

Thanks,
Clark

I don't know Clark's reasoning but I will offer my two cents. The Hevishot choke has internal steps like the Indian Creek and doesn't have all that many parallel slots that weaken the construction. The Hevishot choke I have in my Xtrema smoked every other choke I've tried using Hevi 7's. Plus it's cheaper than an IC. I feel the PG would be a better option than the IC as well, simply from a durability standpoint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's one reason.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Todd1700 on January 26, 2012, 11:18:34 PM
QuoteWhy is that?

I have spent a small fortune on various shells and chokes. I have barely gotten any choke/shell combo to break 200 inside 10 inches at 40 yards. The Hevishot choke with Hevi 7's put 278 inside 10 inches at 40 yards out of my 835. Not saying they will out perform every other choke by that margin in any gun of course. There is, of course, no way to kniow which choke a gun will like best. But I'd say they warrant being considered right up there with the other top chokes out there.

That's another reason.

Thanks,
Clark

allaboutshooting

Why is that?

Thanks,
Clark

Of the 2 chokes mentioned, I would choose the Pure Gold. It has a very strong and robust design, proven over many years, with all kinds of turkey shotshells.

I also try to shoot every choke tube that's available to us as turkey hunters and as far as I know, I've done that. There are many good chokes out there today and that's a very good thing.

When I evaluate anything, chokes tubes included, I look first at performance. It must perform. Secondly, it must be worth the money you have to pay for it.

Based upon my experience, of comparing all the turkey chokes out there today, for anyone  looking at a new turkey choke, it really is worthwhile to consider the Hevi-13 Turkey Chokes. They are well made, of excellent materials, well designed and very fairly priced.

Thanks,
Clark

ncturkey

I did not think about the cost. I have not tried the Hevi-shot choke yet. I have both the PG and the IC choke both are great chokes. I have not had any problems with either chokes.  Have you had trouble with the Indian Choke you have tested.
Quote from: allaboutshooting on January 26, 2012, 11:46:30 PM
Why is that?

Thanks,
Clark

Of the 2 chokes mentioned, I would choose the Pure Gold. It has a very strong and robust design, proven over many years, with all kinds of turkey shotshells.

I also try to shoot every choke tube that's available to us as turkey hunters and as far as I know, I've done that. There are many good chokes out there today and that's a very good thing.

When I evaluate anything, chokes tubes included, I look first at performance. It must perform. Secondly, it must be worth the money you have to pay for it.

Based upon my experience, of comparing all the turkey chokes out there today, for anyone  looking at a new turkey choke, it really is worthwhile to consider the Hevi-13 Turkey Chokes. They are well made, of excellent materials, well designed and very fairly priced.

Thanks,
Clark

cahaba

My SX3 12 ga.inv plus has a Indian Creek .665. I shoot 3" Mag Blend  and average 223 at 40 yards 10" circle. I'm going to try a Hevi 13 choke based upon what Clark has said. He knows what he is talking about. Of course every gun likes different chokes. Boy patterning guns is fun and exciting. Makes me want to run to the target after every shot!

Dsamab

What is the better choke for a benelli m2 12 gauge with a 26" barrel shooting 3" nitro 5x6x7

Indian creek or rhino?

offshore

pure gold for me out of my SBE I with mag blends

reynolds243

Well currently I am a bit unhappy with both of them. Got a PG in Dec and finally got to pattern it last week. Didn't like it more then what I had so I wanted to see about the 660 instead. Only get 30 days on it so I was stuck with it. Lessoned learned to buy a choke when I am ready to shoot it. Thing only had 1 shot out of it but because of the weather they wouldn't do anything for me

update: did finally get the new IC choke in the mail from Mike so I am now happy again with IC lol