OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

KENT TURKEY LOADS

Started by tyelper, January 22, 2012, 11:19:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyelper

anybody ever use these if so what was the pros-cons

mcgruff1533

Ask and ye shall receive...   http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,11939.0.html

Overall, those Kent shotshells are solid performers out to 30 yards.    I've shot them at 40 yards and noticed the pattern fell apart and was in the 80's/ 10" circle@ 40 yds.      I plan on giving them another test this Spring with my Indian Creek BDS .660" choke.

PROS:  Kent Cartridge is a good company to deal with.     They responded quickly to my concerns and offered a plausible explanation for the poor patterns.     The new batch of shells they sent me did pattern somewhat better, but was still marginal at 40 yards.

CONS:  The payloads are non-buffered and the wads are quite thin.   Kent says their Diamond Lead shot has a high Antimony content and therefore is hard enough not to need buffer.   Not sure if I believe the hype as every other Turkey load on the market is buffered with various materials.   I've recovered some wads after shooting them through various chokes.   I've found some petals that were completely ripped off, and others that wore holes through the petals.     

SUMMARY:  The Kent Diamond Ultimate lead turkey loads are solid out to around 30 yards.    If I were hunting tight cover, I would not hesitate to use them.   Most of my hunting is done in more open areas so I like having the ability to shoot farther than 30 yards if necessary.

teke

The 3.5 2.25 #5's do real well for me.

Gobble Nole

I patterned my Super Vinci, M 1, and 870 Super Mag last year and to be fair bought several different kinds of shells for each of the guns.  They consisted of Kent Diamond Shot 3 1/2 #5, Winchester Extended Range 3 1/2 #5, Federal Premium Flight Control 3 1/2 #6, and the Mag Blends from Hevi Shot in both a 3 inch and a 3 1/2 inch shell.  I have a Kicks choke on the Super Vinci, I believe it is .655, a similar Jelly Head on the Benelli M1, and a Jelly Head on the 870 Super Mag. 
My best patterns out of all the guns were with the Hevi Shot blends, given the M1 would only shoot 3 inch shells so I didn't shoot anything else through it.  However, the Kent Diamond shells were the worst patterning shells out of the group, by far.  After about 30 yards they for the most part lost any type of uniformity and just went all over the target.  Now, that's not to say that they would not kill a turkey, but they did not pattern well when compared to the competition.   

I don't believe that I got over 100 hits in a 10 inch circle at 40 yards with the Kent 3 1/2 shells compared to 250-260 with the Hevi blends and around 200 with the Win. Extended range.

surehuntsalot

been using what I bought to pattern,for squirrel hunting
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Valk

I could not get a decent pattern at all from Kent, even with several different chokes. The remainder will be used for critters or home defense.