Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Does anyone here have good reviews on Mossberg model 500 ?

Started by rempumpman, January 22, 2012, 10:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rempumpman

As all of you know I am a remington man thru and thru ( 870 pump ) but don't mind "stepping outside the boundries"; I have never been interested in shooting a 3 1/2 mag and don't own a gun that will shoot them, but have been going thru the mossberg web site and they have some pretty good looking turkey rigs;

Here is my question; the 835's are so-called "over-bored" and the model 500's aren't; since I don't shoot 3 1/2 shells, would a 500 be good enough or would it be better to get into the 835 and shoot the 3 inch shells through it? will the 835 pattern better with a 3 inch mag shell than the model 500?

Any information will help; thank you all in advance.........rem;

p.s. I only buy guns done in Mossy Oak as well; the best camo IMO.
God has always provided the tree, but you never read where he built the nest.

BOFF

I'll be able to give you one in about 2 weeks, but it will be the super bantam turkey.  :goofball:

God Bless,
David B.

woodwzrd

I killed my first bird with a 500. I have killed probably a dozen with it since and have loaned it out to my brother in-law on 2 two occasions and he has killed birds with it. I bought a 535 last year and I like the ability to shoot 3 1/2 shells and if I ever had to fall back on the old 500 I would do it in a heart beat. I have never done a pellet count when I patterned it but it shoots consistant and I get a good consentration of pellets at 30-40 yards.

The first bird my brother in-law shot I was calling for him and I told him don't shoot till I tell you he is in range and his trigger finger got itchy and he shot before  told him and I thought crap he was out to far. We paced it off at 47 paces and the bird was deader than a door nail when we got to him.

mcgruff1533

I have a 535 which is basically a stretched 500 to fit 3.5" shells.      I like the gun so far, and this will be my third full season hunting with it.   

Finding a load/ choke combo that will deliver solid 150+ patterns at 40 yards has been tough, but I finally found a combo that works.    The biggest challenge was the 20" barrel since longer barrels typically pattern better.

If I were going to do it all over again, I would have gotten a 24" barrel instead of the shorter tube.

davisd9

I shoot an 835 with 3" shells.  It has a 24" barrel.  I shoot 3" Mag blends in it.  At a lasered 40 yards I get 176 hits in the 10" circle.  I am happy with the pattern because it it every even throughout the cirlce.  I used to shoot 3.5"s and if I ever choose to go back then I have a gun that can do it.  I doubt I will ever go back but you never know.  

I do not know anything about the 535 but the 500 is a good gun.  It will get you decent patterns with the right choke/load combo.  There is not a major price difference in the 3 guns.  Good luck!

Here is my pattern with the 835 and 3" Mag Blends:

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

trkehunr93

The 500 will get the job done, killed quite a few birds with mine just using the full choke.  Mine liked the old Federal 6's(pre FCW).  Haven't used it in years for turks though since I got my 835.

woodwzrd

Quote from: trkehunr93 on January 23, 2012, 08:59:05 AM
The 500 will get the job done, killed quite a few birds with mine just using the full choke.  Mine liked the old Federal 6's(pre FCW).  Haven't used it in years for turks though since I got my 835.

Same set-up I used only mine liked winchester High Velocity 6's

fountain2

The 500 is a good gun that has been around and has built up a good reputation.   Mine shoots well, 200+ at 40 with hevi 13 6s and a Sumtoy choke

Mimosa Gobbler

My 500cancer shot Hevi #7's through a Jellyhead at the rate of 200+ at a lasered 40 yds.

Federal Heavyweight #7's through a non-ported Pure Gold choke with a beautiful pattern at 200+ from a lasered 40 yds.

"My cup is always half full because I have already drank the other half!"

JohnnieB

I've been using a 500 turkey tactical for the past 2 years and love it. It is light and compact but it does kick pretty good. I have had luck with a Truglo SSX and Hevi 13 #7.