OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New Prototype

Started by merocustomcalls, January 22, 2012, 05:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merocustomcalls

Here's a new project I've been working on.  It's a cocobolo trumpet with an adjustable mouthpiece.  The delrin mouthpiece has brass tubing glued on the outside.  The wood barrel has a one size larger brass tubing glued on the inside.  A little teflon tape is wrapped around the bottom of the mouthpiece for an airtight fit.  You simply unscrew or screw in the mouthpiece to lengthen/shorten it.  I know I'm not the first person to do this but it is new to me.  The trumpet can go from a young hen to a jake yelp with less than a 1/4" of adjustment.  I plan on having one of these in my vest this spring. 

Brian

savduck

Brian, thats pretty sweet.
Georgia Boy

Basser69

Brian, I like the looks and idea of that one!

cannonball

VanHelden Game Calls

On my bucket list as well.
Any reason you decided to use a double brass sleeve?  I am afraid of corrosion binding the sliding action of this setup.  Could you have just machined the delrin to fit the barrel collar with 1 or 2 o-rings for the seal?

Way to take it  up another level :z-guntootsmiley:

Basser69

I have one of Marlin Watkins trumpets that has an adjustable mouth piece and it uses a compression nut and an o-ring type set up. I will try and remeber to get some pics tonight if ya'll would like me too.

maustypsu

Cool. Good luck mastering it.

merocustomcalls

I tried a prototype with just one piece of brass tubing glued into the call barrel and the delrin machined to slide in and out.  The delrin continued to bind and would actually get shaved off somehow in the brass.  When the delrin was machined smaller there was too much air leakage.  I went to the brass/brass set up so that there would be less wear.  The after polishing the brass pieces they actually have a pretty big gap in between them.  If I use no teflon tape and tip the call upside down the mouthpiece will fall right out.  I use about two layers of teflon tape. 

I never did try to use teflon tape around the delrin in the single brass tube set up.  That might have worked better. 

At any rate the only draw back is that the teflon tape has to be replaced from time to time, and hopefully not while I'm in the woods. 

VanHelden Game Calls

Thats why I think rubber o-rings maybe the ticket.  They seal, they offer a compression fit for a tight hold.  And it simplifies the build.  Turn the delrin and the ring grooves, rings and assemble.

TRKYHTR

What about a threaded connection?

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

savduck

Quote from: Basser69 on January 23, 2012, 10:18:06 AM
I have one of Marlin Watkins trumpets that has an adjustable mouth piece and it uses a compression nut and an o-ring type set up. I will try and remeber to get some pics tonight if ya'll would like me too.

How does it run? Ive been wanting one of his. Also want one of his long boxes. Spoke with him on the phone. He is a fine gentleman.
Georgia Boy

Basser69

Quote from: savduck on January 23, 2012, 06:00:14 PM

How does it run? Ive been wanting one of his. Also want one of his long boxes. Spoke with him on the phone. He is a fine gentleman.

Del,

it is sweet. I cannot lie I paid a small dowery for it but I do not regret it in the least. I looked at of more an investment piece than a hunting call but I am having second thoughts about it, the more I run it. I own way more trumpets than I can hunt with in a year but I am thinking hard about taking this one in the woods.

Scott

savduck

Quote from: Basser69 on January 23, 2012, 09:52:25 PM
Quote from: savduck on January 23, 2012, 06:00:14 PM

Del,

it is sweet. I cannot lie I paid a small dowery for it but I do not regret it in the least. I looked at of more an investment piece than a hunting call but I am having second thoughts about it, the more I run it. I own way more trumpets than I can hunt with in a year but I am thinking hard about taking this one in the woods.

Scott

I think you would do a call an injustice if you dont take it in the woods. At least get one birds blood on it before putting it on the shelf. Im going to get something from Mr. Watkins. I spent an hour on the phone with him one afternoon. He is a great fella, and has some cool stories. I just dont have 200 bucks right now for any call.
Georgia Boy