OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

My 870 Project

Started by C J Stahly, January 19, 2012, 10:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C J Stahly

I want to post this so everyone can see the transformation process and so I can have a place to put pics to share.  

Background- I bought this gun a year ago.  It is an 870 express mag and came with the 23" cantelieverd slug barrel and a konus pro 3-9x40 scope but I switched it out for a 4-12x56 IR scope from sportsmansguide.  Actually a pretty good scope for the money.  I got it off of gunbroker for about 300 after shipping (in really good shape)...it was really a steal.  I recently decided I was going to make it a multi purpose weapon and make it a turkey hunting machine.  I bought a 26" barrel off gunbroker for half the price of new...and the barrel and the 3 chokes were in better than new condition.  

Here are the pics as of now.  

C J Stahly

The new barrel

JVA54

How much are you going to do to it?

C J Stahly

As soon as the new stock and fore end get here, its gonna get another face lift...then a mossy oak graphics kit face lift, then a saddle and halo (probably a mueller).

davisd9

Looks good Chris!  Cannot wait to see it with the Shurshot and the graphics on it.  You might have me buying another backup next year.  In a couple of weeks we can throw a few patterns!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

C J Stahly

The next phase of the operation is complete:  Got the stock and fore end in and on today.

JVA54

davisd9

Looks like a turkey slayer for sure!  Cannot wait to see what it does on the patterning board.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

C J Stahly

They are done; I will post the pics when I get home/go home for lunch.  Donald has gotten the sneak peek. 

trkehunr93

Good looking gun, can't wait to see how she patterns!

C J Stahly

davisd9

Looks great man!  Cannot wait to see how she does tomorrow.

dirt road ninja

How'd it shoot? Looks like killer.

C J Stahly

It was fair.  I patterned the JH 665 with 3" mag blends.  At 40yd I believe I was at 140-150 range..have to look at the paper again.  I will say that was with a barrel that had not been cleaned since I got it, so I do not know how many shots were through it.  That pattern was with a couple rounds of hevi through it...so I can imagine after the scrubbing it got it should be better.  The pattern was not bad.  I dont think there were any holes and was even.  Just not the numbers I wanted to see or expected to get rather.

My goal is 182...thats what my "cheap" tristar auto got and I would love to have two 180 guns that I feel comfortable going to the woods with

trkehunr93

I would think you should jump into the 180's after a good deep clean and a barrel polishing.  Still a 140-150 even pattern will get the job done.