OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Copper Top help

Started by Spurs, February 18, 2011, 10:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spurs

I have a copper over slate osage call from Mr. Jack Lewis....Pappy.  I lost my strikers in the process of moving this year and was wanting some opinions on which type of wood to get.  I am looking for a mid pitch rasp....if that makes any sense.  Also, what should I be using to condition the call?  Never really had to last year, but has gotten really smooth and won't carry a tune with an old diamond wood striker I have (this stiker used to sound ok till it cracked).
This year is going to suck!!!

870BkWht

I have the same call.  I condition mine with a green scotch brite pad.  Every so often you should wipe it down with an alcohol wipe like they use to sterilize for a vaccination.  My strikers are as follows.  Copper surface was sent with a pecan striker.  Slate surface sounds great with a purple heart and also osage orange.  I also have a cheap hickory striker that sounds decent on the copper side.  Im sure every call is differnt though.  Hope this helps.

hookedspur

Osage orange,is a great striker.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Cut*N*Run

I like canarywood and maple on copper

letinmfly

Mahagony or Ironwood.  Some laminates also sound good on copper.
Captain of the former Gobble Kings

hunter22

I would agree with Lou on Mahagony or Ironwood. Those are the wood strikers that Larry Gresser sends with his copper pot calls and mine sound awesome from him.

M,Yingling

For mid pitch rasp ,,, I like poplur , or cedar striker
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

ElkTurkMan

I like Rosewood or Cedar with the copper surface

lightsoutcalls

I like canarywood and cedar on my copper pots.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

pappy

Spurs, if you are having a problem with the pot call send it back to me and we will do something with it. If you are having issues on conditioning it, just grab a piece of scotch brite and an alcohol pad do a lil' cleaning and run the brite pad accross it. If you need another or a couple strikers, let me know, I have a couple in canarywod and ironwood if you need them, pappy
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

doepee

I thought a scotchbrite pad would just smooth a copper surface?

mmims

Green Scotchbrite. Hard Maple is a good striker for copper!

Corn Doc

You may want to try some 400 grit wet/dry or brown scotch brite. They will provide a little rougher surface than green scotch brite.   :gobble:

ncturkey

Chalk your favorite striker tip for copper it really helps. I like laminated strokers for my copper call. Here a picture of my stirkers I like for copper.