OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Some days I hate wood!

Started by Basser69, January 16, 2012, 10:12:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Basser69

Nothing like getting to this point and have one snap in half. Dang Spanish cedar came apart... Back to the bench I go

savduck

Man, that one looked like it was gonna be a looker.
Georgia Boy

Basser69

:TrainWreck1:
And it keeps getting better and better.... Think I am done for the night! Thanks Del. I am gonna try to salvage it

merocustomcalls

I've had plenty of days like that in the shop myself.  In fact in my old house I screwed up so much I designated one wall in the shop to be my "swearing wall."  I would turn toward and fire off a good curse.  I've got more practice now so screw ups are fewer and farther between. 

TRKYHTR

Dang it I hate when that happens. Let me ask why you don't drill the center out first? I tried to make some and drill the holes after the outside was done and I couldn't get anything to work right. What I don't understand is why does it always blow up or break when your almost don't. Dang it. Sorry about the problems. I've had my share recently.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Basser69

Toninght was the first time I have ever tried turning before I drilled. I guess I learned something! Won't try that one again.....

VanHelden Game Calls

Yup I find it best to walk away. Some days I have a gut feeling I should not be turning and I learn to trust the gut.  Sometimes I still get stubborn but I am quickly reminded, good thing that happens less often now.  Either I am learning or getting lazy :D

What glue are you using for that but joint?

Basser69

Quote from: VanHelden Game Calls on January 17, 2012, 10:12:32 AM
Yup I find it best to walk away. Some days I have a gut feeling I should not be turning and I learn to trust the gut.  Sometimes I still get stubborn but I am quickly reminded, good thing that happens less often now.  Either I am learning or getting lazy :D

What glue are you using for that but joint?

I figured out that it was better to walk off last night. I went and got a beer and watched tv the rest of the night.

Thant glue was tightbond III but the glue did not fail. The wood actually snaped in half

Basser69

Quote from: Gitzit69 on January 17, 2012, 10:51:52 AM
Not sure but from looking at the blank you have in the pic, the wood looks really rough like when your tools aren't sharp. If you have dull tools it takes more pressure against blank to get it to cut. I've broke my share of strikers because of dull tools. When the tools are good and sharp it doesn't leave it rough looking like that.
Dave

Dave, the tool is a new carbide tip cutter. It has less than 10 hours on it so it should not be dull. I was thinking that it was just the grain of the poplar but I might need to replace the head on it and try it again.
thanks....Scott

Basser69

I managed to salvage the yelper

Houndstooth Game Calls

I have had poplar crack messing with it's flimsy stuff glad your ok!!!