OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

sheds

Started by MAGGUNS, January 16, 2012, 01:51:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MAGGUNS

I think I may start trying to find some shed antlers this year. Any advice on where and when,etc...   I am in southern Mississippi. Thanks

FANMAN

It's a little early for me here in Illinois,I don't know about Miss....A good place to look is any place on a deer run where they jump...a fence crossing, creek bank ect. ,or late season feeding areas.
  Good luck and post pic's if you find any!!!

Basser69

This my sound crazy but I have heard of guys using hog wire and making a "V" shape and poring corn in it in Feb and March here is Alabama. The deers horns get stuck in the fence and bang, drop right there. makes looking a little easier

DKA

i usually hunt sheds, while scouting for Turkey.

rebelman

Quote from: DKA on January 16, 2012, 05:04:52 PM
i usually hunt sheds, while scouting for Turkey.
What he said.

turkey slayer

Quote from: Basser69 on January 16, 2012, 12:00:28 PM
This my sound crazy but I have heard of guys using hog wire and making a "V" shape and poring corn in it in Feb and March here is Alabama. The deers horns get stuck in the fence and bang, drop right there. makes looking a little easier
I have heard the same!

MarkJM

I have been shed hunting for a long time and have found my share of nice sheds. I ALWAYS start off looking in fields. Around the edges of fields under small trees, cornfields, bean fields, any type of food source is a great place to look. Also once I have scouted the fields I will find a good trail coming from the field and follow it. Look where they might have to jump to get across an oppstical. Also in creek beds, bedding areas, and think brush where their horns will be touching the tree limbs. Take a pair of binos with you, good to glass for them on hill sides if you have a good enough powered binos. Goodluck. its an addiction once you spot that first shed.
MuellerCustomCalls

WNY Bowhunter

That's some great advice right there!!! Sounds like we have the same shed hunting style.  I've got 15 hours invested so far and have yet to bring one home. I think that most of the sheds still have deer attached to them!!!
"I'm not from New Yawk.  I'm a REDNECK from Western New York!!!"
"It's not a passion. It's an OBSESSION."

Kylongspur88

I have a buddy that looks in various target places like bedding areas, food sources and along trails and he finds sheds left and right. Me... I have tried to look in all the "right," places, but every shed I have found so far has been pure dumb luck. I'm usually out scouting birds. I have only found one set, a big 9 laying about 10 yards apart. I have found some good ones. My biggest I tripped over and fell flat on my butt. Most deer wont drop here till late February or early march, but some drop as soon as December.

hookedspur

I like to walk fence rows and check the areas they cross by going both ways on their path .
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

sbe2#

I like to wait until March just to be safe. I dont want to be too early and run them off onto the neighbor!

Dixie Whistler

I wait til early march also, the ones that have already dropped aren't going anywhere very quickly.  It gets real tough after things start greening up.  I'm awful at finding them though.  A couple friends are trying to train shed dogs.

Trevor2

Please DO NOT do this. Sure it snags the loose antlers but it also damages their pedicle and their horns grow irregular or not at all the next year.
Strutstopper

MarkJM

Quote from: Trevor2 on February 03, 2012, 01:22:13 PM
Please DO NOT do this. Sure it snags the loose antlers but it also damages their pedicle and their horns grow irregular or not at all the next year.

good to know trevor
MuellerCustomCalls

Kylongspur88

Found this set yesterday.