turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mag blends and .670 PG

Started by chatterbox, January 15, 2012, 07:43:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chatterbox

Now that we can shoot 7's in NH, I have been thinking about giving Mag Blends a try through my setup.
Has anyone shot them through a .670 PG and Mossy 835? I really like the idea of the knockdown power of 5's with the pattern density of 6 and 7!

mossy835

Not the .670 but I use a Carlson's .690 turkey choke with my 835 and the 7's with good results. No numbers but one very dead turkey.

sugarray

Mike, if it was me, I'd go with the JH .690 if you are going to shoot the MB.  If you are going with the straight 7s then I'd go with the PG.  Just my thoughts from all that has been posted up.  Even if you went with the 6s, which is what my choice would be, then I'd still use the PG.

If you wanted to try the 7s then I'd try the Fed HW and maybe a tempest.  I'd have to search and think about that one a little more.  If Federal could get them to 2 oz or 2 1/4, that would be a great load then.

bbcoach

The Pure Gold is the ticket in my 835 with the 3 1/2 7's.  I'm getting over 300 in 10 at 40 on warm days and with three dead birds last year alone, I have extreme confidence in this setup.  Give it a try, I think you'll agree. 

chatterbox

Quote from: sugarray on January 15, 2012, 03:35:37 PM
Mike, if it was me, I'd go with the JH .690 if you are going to shoot the MB.  If you are going with the straight 7s then I'd go with the PG.  Just my thoughts from all that has been posted up.  Even if you went with the 6s, which is what my choice would be, then I'd still use the PG.

If you wanted to try the 7s then I'd try the Fed HW and maybe a tempest.  I'd have to search and think about that one a little more.  If Federal could get them to 2 oz or 2 1/4, that would be a great load then.
Thanks Ray. I have a JH .690 I might give a try with those.

chatterbox

Has anyboby tried the mag blends out of a .690 JH in a MB 835 in either 3.5 or 3?

afoshie

I shoot that combo out of mine and if memory serves me corectly i get around 225 at 40 in a 10" ring. drops turkeys, and at 15 it will decapitate.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Well my Pure Gold .670 shot pretty lousy with the Hevi-13 6's.  I wasn't impressed at all.  I'll leave it at that. 

Gobble!

Quote from: afoshie on January 19, 2012, 10:15:29 PM
I shoot that combo out of mine and if memory serves me corectly i get around 225 at 40 in a 10" ring. drops turkeys, and at 15 it will decapitate.

Great numbers there  :icon_thumright:

davisd9

Quote from: chatterbox on January 19, 2012, 06:19:39 PM
Has anyboby tried the mag blends out of a .690 JH in a MB 835 in either 3.5 or 3?

Planning on giving a JH .690 and 3" Mag Blends a try on the weekend of Feb. 3rd.  I will post what I find out for you.   I have an 835 with a 24" barrel. 
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

joshua

Quote from: davisd9 on January 20, 2012, 09:28:16 AM
Quote from: chatterbox on January 19, 2012, 06:19:39 PM
Has anybody tried the mag blends out of a .690 JH in a MB 835 in either 3.5 or 3?

Planning on giving a JH .690 and 3" Mag Blends a try on the weekend of Feb. 3rd.  I will post what I find out for you.   I have an 835 with a 24" barrel. 
You will probably like that pattern. I had to make a last minute switch on guns last season and brought out my old, trusty 835 with a JH .690, 24" pipe. I shot a 3.5" MagBlend at around 35 steps(this was a far back as I could get) and tho I didn't count holes the pattern looked to have in the neighborhood of 200-220 hits on whatever size a standard turkey target is. :anim_25:
Turkeys are as smart as hunters make em and public land offers more classes.
George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

JUGHEAD

Haven't shot the Magblends through a Pure Gold, but I'm averaging close to 240 in the 10" at 40 yards with the 3.5 mag blends through a Tru-glo SSX .670.  Got some more work to do with the SumToy .675 as it threw a 265 on the 3rd shot ever through the choke and according to William it will get more consistent with more shots.  Will definitely be hunting with the Magblends this year as I really like the extra 150 fps, especially since I'm using an auto (Mossberg 935).

chatterbox

So do most of you guys feel the .670 PG will outshoot the JH .690 with Mag Blends?
I have both chokes, but it's gonna be a while before I can pattern.

JUGHEAD

Quote from: chatterbox on January 20, 2012, 04:07:16 PM
So do most of you guys feel the .670 PG will outshoot the JH .690 with Mag Blends?
I'm getting ready to do some more patterning work over the next couple of weeks.  I could run a 3.5 magblend or 2 through a jellyhead .690 and see how it does but I got the feel on here last year that most believed that the .670-.675 range would be best with the magblends.

chatterbox

Quote from: JUGHEAD on January 20, 2012, 04:11:50 PM
Quote from: chatterbox on January 20, 2012, 04:07:16 PM
I'm getting ready to do some more patterning work over the next couple of weeks.  I could run a 3.5 magblend or 2 through a jellyhead .690 and see how it does but I got the feel on here last year that most believed that the .670-.675 range would be best with the magblends.
Gotcha. Thanks for the advice!