turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New hunter with gun questions

Started by Jgspahn, January 12, 2012, 12:20:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nyhunter

I have the 870 sps turkey shurshot in realtree ap and i love it. I have a jellyhead .660 in it and i shoot H-13 3.5" 2.25oz #6. when my son use's it he shoots H-13 3" #6s both work very well. This will make you a great gun that will last a long time.

maustypsu

Either of those will kill turkeys just fine.

Just make sure you build into your budget enough for one or two after market chokes.  That will make more difference than any difference remington built into those two guns.

Adjustable sights or a mounted optic are really a must.  Your turkey shotgun is more like a rifle and needs to be set up and shot like one.  That is what I would keep in mind.

Even Bird would rather have a Mossberg with good sights and the right choke than a remington with all the bells and whistles that scattered a bad pattern to somewhere other than where he's aiming.

bunk

Quote from: Canyonhunter on January 12, 2012, 08:16:01 PM
I ve heared the shurshot stock will hammer your jaw when shooting a hevi recoil load. Also, my brand new 870 wont eject a 2 3/4" shell after shooting it.
I would say alot of stocks will hammer your jaw with a heavy turkey load. I know my 870 did with the factory and knoxx stock. I now have the sureshot stock and like it better than any I've tried. As far as the new 870 not ejecting the shells I would say polish the chamber or put some rounds through it. Mine was like that when new, and I know others with the same complaint. It just needs broke in. I love my 870 for turkeys.

DKA

Jgspahn

Well guys I went with this one

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model-870/model-870-express-shurshot-synthetic-turkey.aspx

Picked it up locally for 415 out the door. I also picked up some sights that I plan on installing this weekend.

Now, its time to pattern the gun and find out what kinda shot it will throw the best. I have also never done this before. I made up some targets tho, and planned on using the printable targets off this site I saw somewhere. Does anyone have some tips, tricks, starting point in doing this? I know there are prolly some other people who have asked this before, so if someone could maybe point me in the direction of a good post id sure appreciate it. Thanks for yalls help so far!!!

davisd9

Get a large sheet of paper, 36" x 36", I use gift wrapping paper because it is cheap.  Place a piece of tape in the middle and shoot at it at a lasered 40 yards.  After you do this, find the most dense part of the pattern and draw a 10" circle around it and then count your hits.  This pattern may not be exactly where you aimed.  Some choke/load combinations throw of your point of aim and point of impact, that is why you use the large piece of paper and get adjustable sights.  Now when you get a pattern you are satisfied with use cheap loads to start sighting in the gun. When you think you have it dialed in with the cheaper loads, finish with the shells you are going to hunt with.  You want to shoot a choke/load combination a few times to get an average.  Now if you shoot once and the pattern is horrible then just move on.  Clean you gun each time, a bore snake will help greatly.If you get 150+ in the 10" circle then you have a turkey killer at 40 yards.  The least amount of hits you want is 100 hits in the circle. This is how I do it, others may give you another way and it could be better than how I do it.   I suggest trying a Jellyhead .665 and 3" 2 oz. Hevi Mag Blends.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Jgspahn on January 18, 2012, 02:03:19 PM
Well guys I went with this one

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model-870/model-870-express-shurshot-synthetic-turkey.aspx

Picked it up locally for 415 out the door. I also picked up some sights that I plan on installing this weekend.

Now, its time to pattern the gun and find out what kinda shot it will throw the best. I have also never done this before. I made up some targets tho, and planned on using the printable targets off this site I saw somewhere. Does anyone have some tips, tricks, starting point in doing this? I know there are prolly some other people who have asked this before, so if someone could maybe point me in the direction of a good post id sure appreciate it. Thanks for yalls help so far!!!

Here's what I do and what I recommend.

http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=302

I hope it helps.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

cgarner1

WildTigerTrout

Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

deltaeta

I'd stay with the factory choke. That way you won't be tempted to try and shoot too far until you're comfortable. Personally I use the Jellyhead.

FttFttVroom!

Just remember to make sure you don't shoot anything other than lead through that factory choke.  I had the same one in my 870 Supermag and it's not rated for hevi-shot. 

rempumpman

Just got here on this thread and wanted to also add..................................

:welcomeOG:

As far as your choice in guns, you made a great one for sure; have used remington guns for over 45 years now and they have NEVER let me down; the great thing about turkey hunting today is the choice of shells that are out there along with the different chokes as well; it takes some time shooting your gun and shell choice to fine tune it but that's what is so great about this forum; alot of very smart guys here (not me) who really knows the technical side to the puzzle of getting everything one can get out of a gun; NEVER be afraid to ask ANY question that you may have;

Hope you have a very successful season this year and a very safe one as well...........rem
God has always provided the tree, but you never read where he built the nest.

gophert

Quote from: bird on January 12, 2012, 09:07:14 PM

Get a Rem870SM 23" VR barrel and a Pure Gold .670 choke, Burris FastFire III and add a Knoxx recoil reducing stock and your all set.

+1

Jgspahn

Ok, so im going to install my sights and pattern my gun this weekend. I have a large piece of plywood and some paper im going to use. Here is what I need clarification on. Ive been told that some guns shoot #6 better than #5 or #4 better than #6 etc. Is this true? Will the difference cause that much of an advantage/disadvantage. Shells are freaking high for a broke college student like me, and Im just trying to get an idea of where to start.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Jgspahn on January 27, 2012, 02:18:11 PM
Ok, so im going to install my sights and pattern my gun this weekend. I have a large piece of plywood and some paper im going to use. Here is what I need clarification on. Ive been told that some guns shoot #6 better than #5 or #4 better than #6 etc. Is this true? Will the difference cause that much of an advantage/disadvantage. Shells are freaking high for a broke college student like me, and Im just trying to get an idea of where to start.

Congratulations on all your choices. I'd recommend that you shoot #6 shot. It flows better and that big swarm of shot will certainly deliver enough energy to cleanly kill a turkey at reasonable ranges.

Lastly, I'd be sure to deep clean the bore of your gun and choke. I'd also clean the fire control unit of any excess oil/grease before taking it to the range.

Best of luck with your new gun and in the turkey woods this spring.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."