OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Freak Hunting Accident

Started by briancady, January 12, 2012, 07:24:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

briancady

My wife's cousin was hunting with his 15 year old son yesterday, and the son shot a deer and the bullet  richocheted off the deer and came back and hit his dad.  The bullet went through the side of his nose.  He will be alright, he had to have surgery to repair his nose.  I was told it was a very bloody sight.  I just pray that this accident does not scare his son away from hunting. 

I posted this just as a reminder that anything can happen in the woods, so always be aware and be careful.

Brian

Old Gobbler

Prayers sent for his full recovery  :cross2: --Shannon
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

redarrow

Prayers sent for a speedy recovery Brian. That must have been one tough deer.

Hognutz

That is freaky. I have never heard of anything like that. How can that happen?? Did he get the deer? Cazy!!!!
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

Reloader

That's a bummer, I hope he has a speedy recovery.

I have seen some very strange deflections on deer, but haven't seen one come back and hit near the hunter.  About the worst I've seen was a finisher shot on a buck at 80yds. The load was a 150grn Nosler Partition Gold over 60g H4350 in a 30-06.  The bullet impacted the deer's shoulder bone and deflected right back out of the entrance hole.  It created a large surface would and broke the bone, but no parts of the bullet made it past the bone, all came back out of the entrance hole.  I've seen bullets deflect at very hard angles or create surface wounds without penetrating, but that was the only one that I've seen come back out of the entrance hole.

Hognutz

That's the thing. In order for it to come straight back, it would have to be a straight on hit. I just don't understand how a high powered bullet would ''bounce'' off of a deer's hide.
I could understand, barely, I might add, how a weird angle could possible cause a ricochet, but it certainly wouldn't come back towards you. The angle would prevent this..

mnturkey

SEMPER FI

briancady

Quote from: Hognutz on January 12, 2012, 09:40:37 AM
That is freaky. I have never heard of anything like that. How can that happen?? Did he get the deer? Cazy!!!!

Yes he got the deer

Hognutz

I'm glad that he will be O.K. That is a weird one..Godspeed..

briancady

I got some more info on the accident last night.  The bullet richocheted off a pipe sticking out of the ground not the deer.   Now that makes a little bit more sense I guess.

Cleburne

Glad that he will be ok, hate to hear about things like this.

kamski1151

Glad to hear he will be OK..  :icon_thumright:

When I'm not in the woods, I'm honkin on a Blues Harp

Hognutz

Quote from: briancady on January 13, 2012, 08:26:36 AM
I got some more info on the accident last night.  The bullet richocheted off a pipe sticking out of the ground not the deer.   Now that makes a little bit more sense I guess.

Now it makes a little more sense..Still a bad stroke of luck..

Leader