Need a good Smoked Backstrap Recipe

Started by hookedspur, January 11, 2012, 06:43:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

mommicked

IMO it's hard to "smoke" whole BS well w/o making it tough. I prefer to marinate or dry rub- bacon wrap- and grill over med/hi heat to brown slightly on all sides ,  then roast/smoke indirectly 15- 45 mins+   (depends on thickness of backstrap)    on a grill w soaked woodchips for smokeflavor It is easyier/repeatable than typical smoking methods when using venison IMO. I like my deermeat med. rare to rare though. If you want real smoking it must be slow w low, moist heat (pan of liquid on the hot part of the covered grill or smoker - usually my marinade!) or it will turn  tough and dryish. Hard to get it right each time for me this way. If you slice the bs it cooks faster and can get tougher before it's ready to eat if not marinaded for at least 24hrs. w some sort of tenderizer. I prefer a good Red wine for the tendering in my venison marinades. Onion, garlic,sugar or brown sug, salt,pepper, bayleaf, and other herbs, spices of choice, some olive oil makes a fine marinade for smoking all red meats.
Learning something new, on every hunt.

hookedspur

[I like my deermeat med. rare to rare though.

Me two   thanks
CRUSADERS

rebelman

Don't forget the bacon wrap. I prefer a weave. It is going to dry out if you don't.

Gooserbat

I don't ever have problems with it being tough.  I first filet the silver off then I dry rub with one of several different rubs, but one of my favorites is Pamperd Chef Peppercorn Garlic then I let it set for 24 hours.  

Then wrap on thick fatty bacon. I leave about a bacon width between slices of bacon.  Get your smoker up to temp (190) and presmoke your meat for 30 min.  

Then pull it of the smoker and wrap it length ways in heavy foil, but before you completly cover it, pour a 1 inch wide strip of black strap molassas down the entire length.

Then place it back in the smoker for and forget the meat for 1 1/2 hours, but don't forget the fire.  Keep it between 190-210 (I try to never let it get higher than boiling)

After 1 1/2 hours unfold the foil back and let it continue to cook in the juice for another hour or so. then pull it out of the foil and let it set on the rack to "glaze over" for about 20-30 min.  Remember to keep the meat wraped with bacon.

It should be done but check with a thermometer.  Another thing is if you reheat it should be done in the oven not the microwave and keep it wraped with foil while you reheat to prevent it from drying out.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

hookedspur

CRUSADERS

Gooserbat

Quote from: hookedspur on March 08, 2012, 05:19:04 PM
Sound good
It is.  I have a smoked bean recipe I usualy cook at the same time too.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.