OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Does Red Light Spook Turkeys?

Started by Wrangler95, January 11, 2012, 10:54:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wrangler95

I know red light does not spook deer and varmits but I was wondering about turkeys because I hunt alot out of my blind around fields and the turkeys sometimes roost around the field edge.Anyone know?I just bought a Black Diamond headlamp and I was gonna use it this turkey season.
Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

Neill_Prater

I honestly don't know, but it has always been my understanding that birds see the full color spectrum just like we do, so I'm guessing they can see it. Whether or not it would spook them, I couldn't say. Neill

Wrangler95

Neill,I bet your right about turkeys seeing colors like humans,I bet they would be scared of the red light!
Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

bird

Red or Green = No

I prefer a green light myself.

Been using a green head lamp for years and I've walked right under roosted birds several times without spooking them.

dirt road ninja

If it does spook them, I would think be the movement of the light and not the light it's self.

gob09

most of the time i dont like useing a light at all unless im in new territory. i have needed one from time to time and been scared to use it. my cell phone has a small light on it and if i need a light i'll turn it on and  cup my hand over it to show just enough light to see
but id like to have a way of seeing without haveing to do fumble around with a phone  im goin to check on a red/green light

chatterbox

No light for me. Too worried about spooking roosted birds.

guesswho

I don't think the light would spook them but I do think it might get their attention.  The spooking part probably happens because of people stumbling through the woods who happen to be carrying a light.  I don't use a one only because I don't get started as early as some of you.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

catdaddy

Quote from: guesswho on January 11, 2012, 07:01:39 PM
I don't think the light would spook them but I do think it might get their attention.  The spooking part probably happens because of people stumbling through the woods who happen to be carrying a light.  I don't use a one only because I don't get started as early as some of you.

I agree. I can't say if i have ever spooked a turkey with a light--it's the stumbling under the roost that gets them and then the light gets blamed.   

bird

Quote from: catdaddy on January 11, 2012, 09:32:37 PM
Quote from: guesswho on January 11, 2012, 07:01:39 PM

I agree. I can't say if i have ever spooked a turkey with a light--it's the stumbling under the roost that gets them and then the light gets blamed.   

Exactly... I have used a green light for years and honestly cannot count how many times I have walked under or past a roost tree with birds in it and never had a bird spook because of a light.

TRKYHTR

I was told years ago that turkeys can't see very good at night. I am here to tell you that turkeys can see in the dark. I walk outside at night and a few of my turkeys flydown in  the cage. They also don't like it when I take my flashlight out there. BTW did you know that a turkey sticks his head under his wing at night when they sleep? It's pretty hard to see any light when their head is under their wing. So if his head is not under his wing I think he will see the light and maybe even spook.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Holston

After years of seeing myself and others rush through the woods with a really bright light running everything off I decided that there has to be a better way.

The first year I was experimenting I tried using no light at all, sort of feeling my way through the mountains or waiting until I barely had enough light to see enough to get around.

The second year I bought a very small green light and a also carried a very dim, small mag light.  This time I would get up earlier than I needed and really took my time heading to  my stands.  Focus was to be as quiet as I could and use as little light as possible.

I've stuck with the latter and see more game right at daylight than I ever did in the past and seem to have better success early than anyone I hunt with.

I mostly hunt state land and you'd be amazed at the people I see crashing through the woods a mile away with what appears to be a spotlight strapped to their heads.

(EDIT: sorry, forgot to mention, the above applies mostly to deer and bear.)

gob09

i know my brother has spooked em off the roost an hour before day light and he was in a field looking for a dang dead fall to setup inbut we still had a good hunt though

ctwny1

I've been using a green light for years and never had a bird spook from it.