OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey Slayers!

Started by davisd9, January 11, 2012, 07:30:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davisd9

Well I cannot speak for the other parts of the country but here in SC where I hunt I have to kill time to April 1 to get in the spring woods for my first hunt.  Of course in March I will be out scouting and finding roosts, but until then why don't we pass the time by showing off some turkey slayers.  Does not matter whether it is a bow or gun or Remington, Winchester, Mossberg, or etc!  Let's just see them!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

davisd9

Here is my Mossberg 835 with a 24" barrel and a Star Dot .676 using Hevishot Mag Blends 3" 2 oz. At a lasered 40 yards I get 176 hits in 10" with it being nice and even.  For optics I have a Simmons Pro-Diamond 4x32 mm scope.  Bought the gun in July so it has yet to drop a turkey and my oh my how I cannot wait to get it dirty.

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

dirt road ninja

I'll try to takes a few pic's of mine and post tomorrow.

I too shoot an 835 with the StarDot (thanks to Davis9). It sports a 24 inch tube with a Truglo sights. I tried the scope thing years ago and didn't like it. This will be my first year shooting 7 shot. Last year I shot a few different shells, but ended up hunting with the Hevi-13 2.25 #6's. I was getting consistant patterns of 200 + thru my IC .675.

I just picked up a lightly used 11-87 youth 20 gauge. It is tiny. 21 inch barrel with a JH .570, and Truglo sights. Told the wife it was for my son, but we all know better. I have 4 boxes of the Hevi 13 1.25 #7's and a few boxes of the magnum blend, but have yet to shoot it. Hoping to get a good 35 yards out of it. If the JH doesn't work out I'm calling Sumtoy.

WNY Bowhunter

My turkey slayer for the past 4 years has been a Browning BPS 3.5", 26" barrel, hi viz sights with a Pure Gold .670 & IC BDS .675 chokes.  I currently shoot 3.5" Mag Blends with great success.  So far, the gun has done me well...12 shots in the past 4 seasons with 11 birds down. 

Here are a few victims from the past few seasons...

She looks a little different now as I had it was sent out over the summer to be camo dipped in Mossy Oak Bottomland.  Looks pretty sweet and still gets the job done...

"I'm not from New Yawk.  I'm a REDNECK from Western New York!!!"
"It's not a passion. It's an OBSESSION."

trkehunr93

The top gun is a Savage Arms Stevens Model 12 gauge, 28" barrel w/ a fixed full choke, killed my 1st turkey with that gun.  

The middle gun is Mossberg Model 500 i got for a graduation gift, it has a 28" barrel and I only used the full choke that came with it, it has been the demise of quite a few birds while it was in action.

The bottom is my 835, I absolutely love the gun and will never stop using it.  24" barrel and a Star Dot tube, I added the Beartooth comb kit to ease the cheek slap 3.5" shells gave me and the Limbsaver to help with the "kicks like a pissed off mule" recoil the 3.5" shells seem to have.  Plus I'm a lefty and the Mossbergs have the ambiodextrous safety which is perfect for me.  

JVA54

807 Express Super Mag with a Bushnell 1.75-4 scope and a Remington super full choke.

davisd9

Those Slayers look great!  Love the bottomland WNY!  Need to look into the Beartooth Comb kit.  JVA, you like that Bushnell pretty well?  I tried one but did not really care for it, but it was a lower end one.  It was good a clear, but I did not like the recticle very much.

Dirt Road Ninja, that Star Dot looks good in the 835!  That gun is going to get it done.

JVA54

davisd9  I'm not crazy about that Bushnell scope, but my boys like it and for some reason they think that they own all my guns.  I was ready to take it off after missing a bird in Missouri three years ago. :angry9:      Like to try the new Burris FastFireIII.

C J Stahly

I want to put a dot or scope on one of mine and keep the other open w/fiber optic sights.

tcook7

I've been shooting a Benelli M1 but decided to switch it up this year to this Mossberg 500 that had just been sitting in the safe.  I had dipped a few weeks ago and put a Tru-Glo Tru-Brite on it.  Have Turkey Thug style pistol grip and Indian Creek on the way!

davisd9

Did you get the sight dipped also?  I like that sight, it looks really good.   If I remember correcty, you said you got the company in Camden to dip if. Is that right?  Whoever did it did a wonderful job.

tcook7

Actually the sight is just taped up with the new Mossy Oak Graphics stuff.  I highly recommend it for anything.  I put it on the sight and end of the magazine tube where he wouldn't dip.  Very easy to put on and doesn't leave any tackiness when taken off.  We'll have to see how well it holds up but as cheap as it is, it's definitely worth it so far.  I'm kind of addicted to the stuff now, I look for all kinds of things to put it on!!

Anthony Jackson for Carolina Custom Camo did the dip and it looks great...he has bottomland too!

davisd9

boomer

Here are mine Knight TK2000 and a Benelli SBE with a Indian Creek choke.

tcook7

Yes davis that is it, except I just got the 4" tape roll instead of the sheet.  Nichols has it back in the clothing section.