turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey Slayers!

Started by davisd9, January 11, 2012, 07:30:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M,Yingling

Iam still shottin the mossberg 500 A   ,,,With #5  winchesters    :z-guntootsmiley:
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

davisd9

Quote from: tcook7 on January 12, 2012, 08:44:44 PM
Yes davis that is it, except I just got the 4" tape roll instead of the sheet.  Nichols has it back in the clothing section.

Will have to pick some of it up.  Want to see if I can camo my scope.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

davisd9

Quote from: M,Yingling on January 12, 2012, 08:57:16 PM
Iam still shottin the mossberg 500 A   ,,,With #5  winchesters    :z-guntootsmiley:

Nothing wrong with that.  If it is not broke then there is no need to fix it!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

C J Stahly

Quote from: tcook7 on January 12, 2012, 05:31:56 PM

Anthony Jackson for Carolina Custom Camo did the dip and it looks great...he has bottomland too!

Super Nice Guy!  He does some of my bow work, when or if I dont do it myself.  I usually end up spending a couple extra hours in there because he can talk up a storm! 

I thought about having him dip my guns, but figured I might try the new pre cuts first. 

You like that sight pretty good tcook?

tcook7

So far I love it.  But I haven't used it on a turkey yet, I've busted some skeet and killed some crows with it so far and it has surpassed my expectations shooting those.  We'll see when I get a chance to put it on some waddles!

Anthony is a superb gentleman.  Does a little tinkering on my bow as well.

davisd9

Here is a picture of the whole gun after adding camo to the scope.  I am very satisfied with it.  Thanks for the heads up on the tape tcook7!  I recommend it to anyone that wants to add a little camo to your gun.  :icon_thumright:

dirt road ninja

Just finished cleaning the turkey guns . Going to try to shoot them this weekend.

dirt road ninja

I just finished up shooting the turkey guns. I've already got a nice bruise and head ache. The patterns looked good on the 12 the 20 wasn't great but appears to be a 40 yard gun. I'll count the pellets shortly a post the results today. I post pictures this week as well. 15 rounds of 3.5 are brutal.

davisd9

I know about them headaches.  I cannot shoot one too much either without getting one.  Those 3.5"s will lay it on you.  I used to shoot them but I shoot 3" now.

davisd9

CJ got a limbsaver for me and I put it on last night.  Hope that it will help with the pounding of the old 835.  She is a good gun, but she likes to put a hurting on you.

JVA54

That will help!  Love those 3.5 they will rock your socks!

dirt road ninja

Well I did the counts and I still can't claim 300. My tiny 20 gauge turned in better numbers then I thought, so we'll start with that one.

All counted shots were fired at a lasered 40 yards off sand bags. The choke I used today was a JellyHead .570 and loads tested were Hevi 13 3" straight 7's and the 3" Magblends. The highest count was a good looking 137 with the 7's. The worst shot with the 7's was 113. I aslo took a shot at around 18 -20 yards (didn't range) and the pattern was very forgiving. The magblends didn't do near as well with the highest count going 83. This little gun was a joy to shoot and is a forty yard gun if need be.

My beloved Mossy shooting the Stardot choke turned in a high of 271 with the Hevi 13 3.5" straight 7's and a low of 233 (same load). The patterns look like they would crush a bird, but I am a little diappointed in the final count.
I also ran a couple 3.5 magblends thru the Stardot and it went 199,186, and 178. The 7's seem to carry the magblends. There wasn't enough of the larger shot to make me believe that it makes a difference. If your happy with the magblends you'll love the straight 7's.

I wanted to shoot a few of the Magblends thru my Jellyhead on the 835, but I'm not man enough. My shoulder was killing me and a headache had moved in. I'll try them as soon as the bruise goes away or when I buy a lead sled. I will post pictures of the best and worse this week.

trkehunr93

Quote from: davisd9 on January 22, 2012, 12:33:33 PM
CJ got a limbsaver for me and I put it on last night.  Hope that it will help with the pounding of the old 835.  She is a good gun, but she likes to put a hurting on you.

Best $$$ you'll spend.

davisd9

Quote from: dirt road ninja on January 22, 2012, 08:10:30 PM
Well I did the counts and I still can't claim 300. My tiny 20 gauge turned in better numbers then I thought, so we'll start with that one.

All counted shots were fired at a lasered 40 yards off sand bags. The choke I used today was a JellyHead .570 and loads tested were Hevi 13 3" straight 7's and the 3" Magblends. The highest count was a good looking 137 with the 7's. The worst shot with the 7's was 113. I aslo took a shot at around 18 -20 yards (didn't range) and the pattern was very forgiving. The magblends didn't do near as well with the highest count going 83. This little gun was a joy to shoot and is a forty yard gun if need be.

My beloved Mossy shooting the Stardot choke turned in a high of 271 with the Hevi 13 3.5" straight 7's and a low of 233 (same load). The patterns look like they would crush a bird, but I am a little diappointed in the final count.
I also ran a couple 3.5 magblends thru the Stardot and it went 199,186, and 178. The 7's seem to carry the magblends. There wasn't enough of the larger shot to make me believe that it makes a difference. If your happy with the magblends you'll love the straight 7's.

I wanted to shoot a few of the Magblends thru my Jellyhead on the 835, but I'm not man enough. My shoulder was killing me and a headache had moved in. I'll try them as soon as the bruise goes away or when I buy a lead sled. I will post pictures of the best and worse this week.

Sounds like the Mossy put up good numbers in the 7s and Mag Blends.  I shoot the 3" mag Blends and I am getting around that number.  Have not tried 3.5"s in it but I am thinking about it.  I like the Mag Blends.  I am going to do some more patterning with them on the weekend of February 3rd and I will let you know what I find out.  I am going to put some 3" Mag Blends through the Jellyhead I picked up, it should be here today or tomorrow.  I will post up my findings. 

I would not be dissappointed in your results with the Mag Blends or 7s.

dirt road ninja

Here are a few pic's of patterns from the weekend. I'm still learning photobucket, so please bear with me.