OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Take a youth Hunting

Started by HogBiologist, January 09, 2012, 03:08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HogBiologist

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been fortunate enough to be asked to mentor two kids recently. An old friend of mine has 2 sons with her ex Husband. He was a buddy of mine, but I have not seen him in years. He dont have much to do with them. Since the youngest is a cowboy to the max (when he gets in trouble all his momma has to do is take away the boots and hat to get him straight) he wanted to try bull riding. His dad and I met at the rodeos years back. His Momma asked me to help him get started in riding. Also, both boys want to try hunting. The youngest, Luke, is 11. The oldest, Tristan, is 12. Yesterday i took Luke out for his first squirrel hunt. We went to bodcau hoping to see some rats. We heard 2 barking at us, but squirrels can see orange hats from a long ways off. I go tto show him a beaver dam on the area too. He was having a blast. I taught him how to tell the difference between a fox squirrel and a cat squirrel by the call they make. We worked back out to the car and headed to the range to let him shoot. I had a box of 22 shells. We set up a target at 25 yards and then some plinking targets there as well. I got him seated and proped up on the sand bags. I stood beside him and helped hold the gun steady so he could shoot. I went through the basics; safety muzzel direction, etc. He was hitting bullseye in the first few shots. I would load 10 rounds and let him shoot. Boy was a natural. He shot up a box of 50 shells in no time. I was so proud of him.

While we were sitting in the car that morning before daylight we were talking about his dad (I have and will never talked bad about his dad) he looked at me and said if it were between me and his dad, it would be me. His older brother Hates his dad.

Here is a pic of the happy sniper and his target.

Certified Wildlife Biologist

VaTuRkStOmPeR

You did a real good thing.

Good to see you seizing an opportunity to be a positive influence.

njdevilsb

I bet that was a very rewarding experience.  I'm glad you got to take the young man out and made it fun for him.  He seems like a natural for sure.