OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Help me plan my ultimate retirement present to myself.

Started by Tom Threetoes, January 08, 2012, 01:56:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Threetoes

My dream has always been to hunt at least four states my first season after I retire. Well that time has finally come. I must hunt my property here in Indiana and my turkey huntin' doctor has just about talked me into a hunt in his home state of Nebraska. That still leaves a couple of states and a whole lot of logistics. With out spending a fortune ( this translates to public land) and taking into consideration my bad knees, please help me plan my dream hunt. Thanks, Tom PS my wife will be hunting with me.

Spring Creek Calls

Sounds like you have eastern's and rio's covered, how about a trip north from NE to SD and get a merriams. You can always catch MO either on the way out or on the way back.

My retirement hunt was to SD where I shot a gobbler in the Black Hills and another gobbler on one of the many Indian Reservations. Good luck!

:smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

barry

From what I hear Missourri is THE state for big bodied big beaded turkeys.
Definitely go for the true Merriams, so maybe South Dakota.
Just my 2 cents worth

Noticed that Gobblez and I were posting the same time...seems that we think alike

pseshooter300

I would do Florida and find a state with good non resident license price for merriams
Tater
Thunder Chicken Mafia
This Ain't Hollywood

OLE RASPY

North west nebraska for merriams they are loaded then i would do a florida hunt for osceolas you have the easterns taken care of and texas for rios. jmo.

Neill_Prater

Assuming you are going after Merriams in Nebraska, or even if you aren't, Kansas is a logical choice from a logistic standpoint. The northwestern part of the state has Rios. Not a terribly large amount of public land, but lots of walk-in hunting areas (WIHA's). Missouri, is, of course, great, but out turkey population is down somewhat from a few years ago due to some bad hatches. Northern MO, logistically speaking, would be better for you, but has less public land than central or southern MO.

If your friend can accompany you, great, if not, just drive separate vehicles and hunt your way back through Kansas and MO. Tags are over-the-counter in both states. Good luck.

I've had the same kind of dream as you, retiring in 2010, but I have a mowing business which makes it tough to get away after the end of March. I go to Alabama early, but wasn't even able to make it to Kansas last spring, something I've pretty much done every year since the mid-1990's. My Dad used to say that it is no disgrace to be poor, but it is awfully inconvenient.  :) Neill

Gobblerstopper

First of all, Congrats on the retirement!!  I knew it was coming around sometime soon.  I know that you will enjoy it.

If you are hunting Nebraska, then anywhere else you go will not matter much.  After hunting the birds in Indiana and Kentucky for as long as you have, you are probably going to be blown away in Nebraska.

I would also hit Kansas and maybe either Oklahoma or Texas.