North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Favorite range?

Started by chatterbox, January 08, 2012, 06:41:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's your favorite range for harvesting turkey birds?

40-45 yards
1 (1.6%)
30-35 yards
41 (64.1%)
20-25 yards
17 (26.6%)
poking his head in the gun barrel
5 (7.8%)

Total Members Voted: 59

chatterbox

What is everyone's favorite range for killing a bird and why?
I know there are a ton of variables, but I 'm sure if you could pick one to hammer birds at all day long, you guys would have one.
I personally like 30 yards. I can see everything I need to see, I know my pattern is gonna have developed nicely, and there is less ability for him to spook because he's still out there a ways.

sugarray

Just what I was thinking!!  Couldn't sum it up any better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joshua

I voted 30-35 yds. I will say tho that I used to hunt with a old fellow who would always tell me "I'll let him get close enough so I can poke him with the barrel that way I know I want miss"
Turkeys are as smart as hunters make em and public land offers more classes.
George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

M,Yingling

I like to take them at 20  25 yds gun patterens pretty good that this range ,, but ifin the birds seem little spooked i ll take them little futher 30 ,35 yrd 
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Woodsman4God

Quote from: chatterbox on January 08, 2012, 06:41:47 AM
What is everyone's favorite range for killing a bird and why?
I know there are a ton of variables, but I 'm sure if you could pick one to hammer birds at all day long, you guys would have one.
I personally like 30 yards. I can see everything I need to see, I know my pattern is gonna have developed nicely, and there is less ability for him to spook because he's still out there a ways.

Ditto

redarrow

When I read the title of the post I thought, Amana,or Kenmore,maybe Fridgidaire. Dang I need to get out of the house. 

20 yds - at least . Any closer and I hyper ventilate.

chatterbox

Quote from: redarrow on January 08, 2012, 09:08:14 AM
When I read the title of the post I thought, Amana,or Kenmore,maybe Fridgidaire. Dang I need to get out of the house. 

20 yds - at least . Any closer and I hyper ventilate.
:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:
Red, you crack me up!

mightyjoeyoung

I always like to see how close I can get em before sending them to valhalla,  That being said, When a bird is so close you can smell him...let's just say adrenaline does funny stuff to your vision, your hearing, your sphincter... :o
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Reloader

I like em around 30-35 to allow the pattern to open up a bit.  Killed a pile of em really close, but there's always a chance of missing them with the slug like patterns from a turkey choke at close range.

dirt road ninja

I picked the 30 yard mark, would rather have them too close then too far.

Gobble!

Quote from: Reloader on January 08, 2012, 09:51:52 AM
I like em around 30-35 to allow the pattern to open up a bit.  Killed a pile of em really close, but there's always a chance of missing them with the slug like patterns from a turkey choke at close range.

X2

VAHUNTER

i like them around 20 to 25yds. when you have them close it really makes the ole heart pump. knowing that if i dont do my part and if he picks me out the hunt is over.that kind of excitement is what keeps me going back day after day.nothing like it
Good things come to those who wait

anthonyjhallen

IMO there is no such thing as too close.  I like to get a little splatter on me.   :happy0064:

mossy835

30 -35 yards is ideal for me but it all depends on the bird and the situation at hand.
I thought shooting range at first glance glad I read on.

guesswho

85 yards!  If I miss him I wan't a valid excuse.  Since 85 is not an option I'll take 20-25.  I can always so they were to close. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff