OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Favorite range?

Started by chatterbox, January 08, 2012, 06:41:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's your favorite range for harvesting turkey birds?

40-45 yards
1 (1.6%)
30-35 yards
41 (64.1%)
20-25 yards
17 (26.6%)
poking his head in the gun barrel
5 (7.8%)

Total Members Voted: 59

barry

25-30 yards is my ideal range. Far enuff where my pattern has spread but close enuff where it doesn't spread all down in the body

pseshooter300

Tater
Thunder Chicken Mafia
This Ain't Hollywood

Joe2Kool

30-35 - best pattern without too much damage to meat.  Inside 40 and I pull the trigger.  Inside 25 I tend to shoot their heads off, and there are too many pellets in the breast meat.

FttFttVroom!

30-35 id great for my shotgun pattern.....much closer and I stand a good chance to miss em.

RutnNStrutn

The closer the better. I like to feed my addiction and get my heart pumping. With that said, 90% of my birds have been taken in the vicinity of 20 yards.

TrackeySauresRex

"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

ncturkey

I picked 30 to 35. But I would not pass up a good shot at 40 yards. I have shot them a 3 yards. Some would ask why did you let him get so close. I shot him as so as I had a clear shot. It was not a pretty picture for sure.

WildTigerTrout

I voted 30 to 35 yards. Good patterns at that distance.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

3" 870 Shell Shucker

The Patterns are at their best at 30-35 Yards.  Big and dense, like a hammer!!!

maustypsu

My pattern is most deadly at 25-30 yards. However my favorite range to shoot them at is inside 15 yards. 

Get 'Em close and know what your gun will do at that range. You might wet yourself but to me it is the greatest thrill in all of hunting. I've had to let a few start to walk away because I let them get into "knife" range. Those I'll never forget.

Neill_Prater

I prefer 36.5 yards, but it wasn't an option, so I voted for 30-35.  ;) Neill

njdevilsb

There is nothing like having one right up close, and if I can do my part, I'd take one as close as they want to get.  Last year I shot one at about 15 yards, and seeing him blown up in full strut walking down that old dirt road is one of the coolest experiences I've ever had hunting.  I've shot some farther than that, and a couple closer than that.  It's hard for me to pick an answer.  Obviously shooting a slug sized pattern at his head isn't as easy as a 25-30 yard pattern, but the closer the better, as long as I can pull off the shot. 

rbreedi1

Thunder Ridge Totes

turkey slayer

Quote from: anthonyjhallen on January 08, 2012, 10:44:53 AM
IMO there is no such thing as too close.  I like to get a little splatter on me.   :happy0064:
:agreed:

Hognutz

I voted 20-25 yds. Nice tight pattern for head mashing and few pellets, if any to the breast..
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.