turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Choke for Rem 11-87

Started by sharxfan, January 05, 2012, 09:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharxfan

I have a Rem 11-87 that is chambered in 3.5" with a 28" barrel. I have searched all over and most others on here have shorter barrels that they are using with various chokes. I was wondering what would be the best bet choke to get if you could only get one? I know each gun is different but some things always seem to work no matter the gun. Just as an FYI I am new to the turkey game so forgive my ignorance.

SumToy

I would go with a 650 to 660 in our chokes.  Now I know alot of folks run the IC and Jelly Head chokes in I think 665.   PG has also put up some good numbers.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

allaboutshooting

Quote from: sharxfan on January 05, 2012, 09:27:33 PM
I have a Rem 11-87 that is chambered in 3.5" with a 28" barrel. I have searched all over and most others on here have shorter barrels that they are using with various chokes. I was wondering what would be the best bet choke to get if you could only get one? I know each gun is different but some things always seem to work no matter the gun. Just as an FYI I am new to the turkey game so forgive my ignorance.

First of all, welcome to OG. It's good to have you here.

I shoot 2 Remington 11-87s with 28" barrels. There are several choices in chokes, as has been already pointed out to you. Many shooters prefer a specific brand and/or a particular exit diameter.

As far as I can determine, I've tried most of the commercially available chokes in my Remington guns. Many do a good job, some just a little better than the others.

Here are the chokes that work very well for me in those guns: Wright's, Pure Gold, Hevi-13, SSX and Jeb's.

The one constant with all of those different chokes is the choice of shotshell. I have my best results with the Hevi-13 shells with either #6 or #7 shot. I also prefer the 3" shells to the 3.5" shells but to each his own in that.

I hope that helps some.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

sharxfan

I did see a lot of Jelly Head reviews that had 660 and 665 and was wondering about barrel length and ID. I had to do a lot of searching on the interwebs to find a Jelly Head at 660. I could stop by Cableas and get the 665 one. After seeing so many great Hevi Shot patterns I think I may have to get a few for turkey season.

My daughter has been bugging the heck out of me to get her a turkey everytime she sees them on my game cam. Hopefully luck is with me and I can manage to get one my first year hunting them.

Thanks for the welcome AllAbout.

joshua

I shoot a Rem. 1187 with a 26 inch pipe. I use the IC BDS in .665 and get awesome results shooting Hevi 13 #6s and #7s. I also get great patterns with the Magblends.  :anim_25:
Turkeys are as smart as hunters make em and public land offers more classes.
George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

Gobble!

Cost for performance the jellyhead is the best choke on the market.
With a 28" barrel either will do well.

Reloader

It depends on the ammo.

I've had really good luck with JH660 and Rhino 660 in Rems.  The JH665 and ICBDS665 are both great chokes as well.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Your going to get your best patterns with something in the .660 to .675 range.  I believe around .670 will probably yield your best bet shooting Hevi-13 6's or 7's.  That's going off of my 870 28" barrel.  I know some guys talk great things about the Jelly Head .660 or .665 chokes.  My Rem 28" barrel must have not heard the great reviews from the Jelly Head chokes is all I will say.  I had a .668 Indian Creek choke that shot great.  I now shoot a Pure Gold .670  and a Mad Super Max .675 which was made by Indian Creek.  

yukonhunter

i have the same gun jh .660  is awesome
www.harvestmoonmalamutes.com      GIANT Alaskan Malamutes
http://www.harvestmoonmalamutes.com