News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Right Handed, but Left Eye Dominant

Started by gatrapper, January 04, 2012, 03:11:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gatrapper

Hey Y'all,

Took the girlfriend shooting this past weekend.  Found out after a few minutes of trying to coach her up that she is left hand dominant, yet right handed. 

Any tips on training her to use her right eye?
"Champions don't make excuses, they make plays." - Richard Seymour.

redarrow

Try a patch over the left eye and shoot with both eyes open.

gotcha

If she has not shot much or at all it may be easier to have her shoot left handed,that way sitting at the same tree this spring you will have the place covered 360.

Shotgun

I'm the same way.  All you have to do is close your left eye when shooting.

TrackeySauresRex

MY boy has the samething goin on. He is right handed and left eye dominant. I was lucky enough to spot this when he was young,he was taught to shoot lefty,gun and archery. Now at age 13, he does very well with it. With an adult it could be a little harder at a later age. You could have her practice handling/mounting and squeezing the trigger of a pellet gun or 22,just to get her comfortable. Tin can shootin is also cool, and it builds confidence. That patch thing has also worked for a friend of mine and his girl.
:anim_25:
Have fun
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Holston

Quote from: Shotgun on January 04, 2012, 09:30:35 PM
I'm the same way.  All you have to do is close your left eye when shooting.

Yep.

While some have a stronger eye dominance than others, mine seems to be pretty weak, but it's still my left eye. (I'm right handed.)

I've never experienced any problems with archery, rifle, shotgun, or pistol shooting.

maustypsu

Quote from: redarrow on January 04, 2012, 03:49:46 PM
Try a patch over the left eye and shoot with both eyes open.

This is what I did when I first started shooting a pistol.  Now I just have to shoot the first few dozen this way and I can better pick up my sites.

I took a pair of clear shooting glasses and put masking tape over my left eye. 

For long guns I just close my right eye.  But I wish I had learned to shoot left handed.  Let's face it your right arm is strongest and the arm holding the forearm of the gun has to handle the most weight.  This would actually put you at an advantage.  Just like baseball or golf.  Your hand closest to the end is actually your "strong" hand or "lead" hand so a rightey should be better batting left hand if that is the way they are taught.

Old Gobbler

I'm right handed  , but my vision is superior in me left - The result is that I can wing shoot left and right handed - when shooting pistols I will hold with the right hand bit sight with my left sometimes

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

bigjb

Get her to learn to shoot left handed.  She needs to learn what's natural for her eyes. I'm left eye dominant but right handed as well.

decoykrvr

I to am right-handed, but left eye dominate and have been shooting since I was 4 years old.  Of all the "tricks" I've tried, the one one which has worked for me for the last 35 years is to place a small dot of fingernail polish or circular piece of opaque tape on the upper quadrant of the left lens (I wear prescription eyewear) which occludes vision out of the left eye when you mount a shotgun or rifle w/open sights and look down the barrel at the front bead.  This technique allows you to keep both eyes open when you shoot which allows for true binocularity as your mounting the gun and peripheral vision when you shoot.  With all this said, if you've had little past experience shooting, by all means, learn to shoot left-handed.  I was too old and had shot for too long to make the switch.

Joe2Kool

If she hasn't shot much, teach her to shoot left handed.  I'm RH, but Left Eye'd.  I shoot guns RH, but shoot a bow LH.  Then again, I'm mostly RH'd, but dad was LH, so I learned some things that way.

Woodsman4God

Quote from: gatrapper on January 04, 2012, 03:11:51 PM
Hey Y'all,

Took the girlfriend shooting this past weekend.  Found out after a few minutes of trying to coach her up that she is left hand dominant, yet right handed. 

Any tips on training her to use her right eye?

Gun or bow? I have the same problem and I have tried to work it out several different ways for sake of ease have her close her dominant eye. You get less of a field of view but it works, the other thing is have her close the dominant when she lines up on crosshairs/pins then open the other eye and tell her to try to keep focused with the one eye, she will see it slip in and out and she has to concentrate to keep the sight window the same. Its tough I have been working on it myself when I discovered this problem

C J Stahly

A patch is what my brother had to do until he trained himself to use his right eye.  Even though its been a long time he still catches himself closing his right eye first when he draws up fast on something.

30_06

It would be easier to teach her to shoot left handed....once thats done she can get all the super cool left hand only guns!

gob09

i have drilled it in kaitlyns head to use your right eye or you'll miss