OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Another Have You Ever?

Started by guesswho, January 03, 2012, 08:02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guesswho

Some replies on The Most Butchered Butchered tread got meto thinking.........again.

I've read on every turkey board that I've ever been on where peope have heard the worst calling only to find out that it's coming from a real turkey and not someone on a call. 

I have spent a day or two in the turkey woods and have never run into that.  I've heard them crisp and clear, low and muffled, all the way to raspy and raunchy.  But they all had one thing in common, it was pure turkey.

Have you ever heard a turkey that sounded like a bad caller on a call?  If so does it happen very often.  I'd love to hear one but so far they have eluded me.   I feel left out.               
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

gob09

yes i have once.... thought it was a hunter turned out to be a hen i think. or maybe she was simply walking away from the bad caller or was just passing through my area. i have a huge problem with noise and direction i can hear faily well just cant really get a good bearing on where the sound is comin from

Crappiepro

I was hunting a property about 10yrs ago where I thought I was the only there. Well after I heard this hen call out I thought someone was there too making some really bad yelps. So I set tight and didnt call anymore hoping they would pass through the area, well about 10 minutes went by and out on the pasture steps this hen making an aweful cackle and yelps LOL. I just thought to myself "Well my calling isn't all that bad LOL"

BOFF

I've heard a lot of calling which I thought was not a live hen, only to find out it was. None of the hen talk was bad though. It just wasn't as perfect as "we" think it should be.  :toothy12:

Always been told/taught it isn't the sound, but the cadence which is important.

God Bless,
David B.

stone road turkey calls

Quote from: BOFF on January 03, 2012, 09:19:51 PM
I've heard a lot of calling which I thought was not a live hen, only to find out it was. None of the hen talk was bad though. It just wasn't as perfect as "we" think it should be.  :toothy12:

Always been told/taught it isn't the sound, but the cadence which is important.

Finely, someone understands turkey calling.  :z-guntootsmiley:

God Bless,
David B.
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

dirt road ninja

A few years ago while in a deer stand I heard what sounded like a person walking through the woods dropping rocks in to a coffee can. As the sound got closer I saw a lone hen making the most metallic hollow sounding clucks I'd ever heard. If I did not see the bird I would have bet anything it was a person.

Crutch

I was hunting on a grown up farm road bed with my buddy about 50 yards up the fence row one spring and I let him do most the calling cause I thought his glass call sounded awesome. I would text him every now and then and tell him to yelp again. It was getting late in the morning and I laid down and was listening to him and thought, wow, he is really good. A few seconds later I thought,wow, he can even pitch the sound and make it sound like it is right next to me.  I started to set up and caught a hen walking the edge of the field next to the sunken roadbed. I texted him and said "a little warning next time".  Hr texted back and said, she busted him cause he didn't pull his mask down far enough to spit and he was cleaning the mess.  Good memories.
Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble:

WildTigerTrout

I have heard a couple of REAL hens that sounded horrible. Put it this way, in a calling contest they would have come in last! :lol: I look at it this way, if I make a mistake with my call while hunting I just keep going. REAL turkeys make mistakes too. ;)
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Hognutz

I had it once, also. I was set up in a woods with a road between another timber and myself. Just after flydown, it sounded like a guy with a boat paddle on steroids. It was nonstop and raunchy for at least 10 minutes. So I started my calling, and danged if that ol' girl didn't come to me. She squawked all the way, so I knew it was her. She got to my set-up, smacked my hen deke around, and flew into a small maple above the deke. She stayed for 10-15 minutes and left. She at least, could have brought a longbeard with her, but she was alone. Probably to grumpy to keep a fellow!! It was absolutely the worst hen talk that I have ever heard..
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

TrackeySauresRex

Yes, the one hunt that comes to my mind occured at least 10 years ago in the fall. A hunter not far off from me on a neighboring property had  scattered the flock the birds were calling from all over and around me. For sure I thought there was a dog barking in the middle of these birds (hunter or dog). Then thought maybe the dog scattered the flock. Next thing you know the dog....which was a big HEN walked right by me. Not only she sounded like a dog,but she sounded like a dog who smoked 2 packs a day!
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

drenalinld

I can usually tell you if it is a hunter or a hen and if a hunter if it is a box, pot, diaphragm, or tube call. However, I have been fooled a couple times thinking a hunter sure needs to work on his calling only to have the calling hen walk by me sounding like a beginner trying to manipulate a four reed call. I have ran across two or three hens that just sounded awful, but as mentioned earlier, the cadence was there.

Gobble!

have not heard a turkey that was not pure turkey. heard a few rough gobbles but never a bad sounding hen.

longspur

Maybe a little off topic but I made some gobblers commit after being hung up just out of range with some really REALLY bad stuff. Dropped my call out of my mouth into my facemask. Made some terrible mouth noise.

Reloader

I've heard some hens that sounded terrible. Also heard Mallard hens that sounded bad as well.

stinkpickle

I heard a hen in Missouri that had me laughing at her squawking yelps.  I thought somebody was playing a trick on me until she walked out in front of me.  I had a gobbler last year that sounded hoarse, also.