OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Bartow County, Georgia

Started by I-55Bandit, January 03, 2012, 12:19:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I-55Bandit

:wave: Well I finally joined. I have been browsing since last spring. I'm a missouri hunter and see a lot of guys from the south are members.

Gonna spend a week chasing some pine tree gobblers down in Georgia this spring. My uncle is part of a 1200 acre deer club in North Georgia and only 1 other guy turkey hunts it. He already has it setup for me to come down and hunt it and hopefully put one in my 12 year old cousin's lap too. I am pretty pumped to go being as though my cousin was diagnosed with cancer when he was just 10 years old and fought like a champ for a year and a half to beat it. Anyhow, just wondering when the primetime to be down there would be. Any help would be appreciated I'd like to go before April 16th so I don't miss Missouri

redarrow

guesswho

Welcome aboard.  I hunt not to far from Bartow County.  If I had only one week to pick I'd probably choose Around April 6th to start.  But to be honest anytime should be pretty good.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

CASH

A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

I-55Bandit

Quote from: guesswho on January 03, 2012, 03:11:09 PM
Welcome aboard.  I hunt not to far from Bartow County.  If I had only one week to pick I'd probably choose Around April 6th to start.  But to be honest anytime should be pretty good.
Perfect. I have really enjoyed this site hopefully I can chime in with some cool pics from Georgia. excited for some new scenery

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

savduck

Id come early. The last few seasons they have still been bunched up in fall flocks at the beginning of our season. You get 3 tags, why not fill them all. We usually have a lull that varies but runs smack dab in the middle of the season usually between 4/1 to 4/15. Its been good early 4 of the last 5 years. Last year was slow for some hot for others. Last year was the first in 6 years that I didnt score opening day.

You know how turkey season is, gobbling like mad down the road and silent at your place. You should do fine. Good luck.
Georgia Boy

stone road turkey calls

Hope you do well this season  :welcomeOG:
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

The Cohutta Strutter

I hunt a little above you in North Ga. and I tend to favor the second half of the season, really from around April 15th on. Just seems like them gobblers are more ready to play up my way during that time with more hens going off to nest- but that is in the mountains and it may fall a little different in Bartow. Like Savduck said- hey it's turkey hunting and there is certainly no absolutes in this sport. Come on down and I think you'll be fine with whatever time frame you choose. Welcome and glad you decided to join. The folks here are great! :icon_thumright:
Anybody seen America lately?

Shellwaster

Welcome aboard and good luck in our great state. What Cove said is fairly accurate. Although I dont hunt I Bartow as I'm more in the piedmont region of the state I have felt the struggles early the last couple seasons then as Easter approaches I've had the birds turn on. But anytime you can be in the turkey woods is a good time. You said your uncle's club is in central Ga, any idea what county? 

cannonball

dirt road ninja

:welcomeOG:

There isn't a bad time to turkey hunt, but it seems like its always better a few days before I get there or the day after I leave. Good luck.

Crutch

:welcomeOG:

You will be a true hero taking that kid. You will help create a memory he will never forget. Don't be surprise if you get Tom fever like you have never known trying to help a kid bag a gobbler.

Good luck and be sure to report back with whatever happens.
Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble:

I-55Bandit

Thanks so much for all of the replies. I had a guy on another forum tell me not to worry about getting there too early. I would like to come down the week before Missouri's opener so that I can hunt my honey hole in Southeast Missouri on opening day on the way back home. Either way it is going to be a blast and my uncle and cousin are pumped. I bought him a slate call to practice on for Christmas and he is already driving his mom up the wall, which is expected. Here are a few Missouri birds from the last couple of years I'd figure I'd post.

Turkey Trot

I am confused by the reference to Bartow County and then to central GA, because Bartow is in NW GA on the I-75 corridor.  

Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter