OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

The internals of the SS Indian Creek BDS chokes are different.

Started by 3" 870 Shell Shucker, January 03, 2012, 02:50:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

3" 870 Shell Shucker

There's more going on than just a switch to Stainless Steel. 

I already had an original style BDS choke in .665 Remchoke, and my wife gave me one of the new SS chokes in .665 INV+ for Christmas.

Looking at the inside of the choke, the SS choke has more wad catching rings than the original choke does.  The most noticeable is a wad catching ring about half-way down the length of the 30 parallel ports.

It appears that Indian Creek is still experimenting with the design, trying to squeeze out as much performance as possible.

Gobble!

Surprised this is the first we have heard this. Can you post some pics?

allaboutshooting

Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on January 03, 2012, 02:50:33 AM
There's more going on than just a switch to Stainless Steel. 

I already had an original style BDS choke in .665 Remchoke, and my wife gave me one of the new SS chokes in .665 INV+ for Christmas.

Looking at the inside of the choke, the SS choke has more wad catching rings than the original choke does.  The most noticeable is a wad catching ring about half-way down the length of the 30 parallel ports.

It appears that Indian Creek is still experimenting with the design, trying to squeeze out as much performance as possible.

It has a wad stopper ring in the ported area? Have you shot that choke?

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteIt has a wad stopper ring in the ported area? Have you shot that choke?

Yes, it clearly has a ring in the middle of the ported area.  I've owned a few of these, and this was a surprise to me.  I thought that maybe it was part of the new SS design.  I haven't shot it yet.  It's too cold right now for good patterns.  Can't post any pics.  Sorry.

I'm not at home right now, but there are 4 or 5 wad catcher rings prior to the ports, and then another ring half way down the length of the ports.  I thought that maybe they were tweaking the BDS design?  This one came straight off the rack at the BPS in Pearl, MS.

mcgruff1533

My original Indian Creek BDS did the splits and was replaced by the company with a new SS model.   I can't compare the two side by side, but I can say the SS model outshoots the older model.

Not sure if it makes a difference, but mine was a standard Invector model.

Gobble!

Quote from: mcgruff1533 on January 04, 2012, 09:14:09 AM
My original Indian Creek BDS did the splits and was replaced by the company with a new SS model.   I can't compare the two side by side, but I can say the SS model outshoots the older model.

does your new choke have the wad stripper in the ports as well?

mcgruff1533

Quote from: Gobble! on January 04, 2012, 10:04:37 AM
Quote from: mcgruff1533 on January 04, 2012, 09:14:09 AM

does your new choke have the wad stripper in the ports as well?

It sure does.