Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

whats important? and how do you carry it?

Started by Preacher, January 01, 2012, 09:01:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Preacher

I have finally found a person who has agreed to take the Time to custom sew a turkey vest to my personal specs.     a few questions for you all to add to my attempt to get it just right.

1.   how heavy of material to use?   this is a lot more important to me than which pattern

2.    I travel light,  but do you have any items that you wish had a custom pocket   ie. for me its binos,   btw,   I dont hunt with a box ,  because of carring issues

3.  how should I secure the pockets    Velcro is out!!!!!!!!   

4.   what do I NEED to decide before we chose a basic design?

5.   any other input will be greatly appreacted,   I will try to post pictures of the process
Romans 8:37

redarrow

An extra thick fold down cushion. I could find a rock or root no matter where I sit. I'd go with nylon zippers and hit them with candle wax at least once a year. Dont forget a cell phone pocket.You cant have too many pockets even if you travel light.

Woodsman4God

I have been kicking around a few out of the ordinary things to carry over the last year or so and one that I have come up with is Pepper spray, where I hunt there has been an increase in bears, while I have not had any encounters recently I wonder if a spring bear encounter is inevitable, I know Heay shot to the face would be a deterent however the pepper spray thing might be better especially for the bear. Not sure if this is what you had in mind but definately worth thinking about

BOFF

WOW!!

I never thought of having a custom vest made to turkey hunt in.

You ask some good questions.

1. Material which is pliable, and not "scratchy" against brush. I really like the material I have on one of the first Mossy Oak brand vest. I've hunted out of it for over 12 plus years?and the material is not an issue, but a few seams have come undone. Heavy cotton material?

2. For me I like the box pocket running vertical, and large enough to hold the wrap (belt carrying case)  and the box, which keeps it quiet.  I really like the design of the vest I have. A lot of pockets, inside and out.

3.I would think for securing pockets, a larger button, nickle to quarter size, which can be managed with gloves might be of help, and a good quality zipper for pockets inside the vest, and on pockets which see little use (hunting license, compass, extra gloves and face mask).

4. What your willing to pay, and if you are willing to pay enough to do it one time and be done with it. (Assuming the tailor is capable of the task at hand).

5. A lot of pockets, varying designs. Though this may be your main turkey vest, will may find you will be using it for other things like quail, deer, dove, hiking, etc. to help you make it through, to the next turkey season.

God Bless,
David B.

Gamblinman

A pocket for a hydration pack, and loops to bring the tube and mouthpiece close to your mouth.

I would use magnets for securing small pockets.

One thing I add to all my vests is a small alligator clip to hold my diaphram when I want to take it out for a few minutes.

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

drenalinld

I would use waxed cotton like a Mcalister waterfowl vest. Tough, tough, tough and I just like it. I would choose MO oak bottomland if available, but would be happy with brown or olive drab. My new vest needs room for six tubes, three trumpets, and two scratch boxes as well as a 30 lb gobbler. !

This vest gets used for everything by me. Would love to have one made for turkey! :you_rock:

http://m.cabelas.com/cabelas/product/detail.do?itemId=1096948&categoryId=&path=

Dbrnmllr

2X on the magnet pocket flaps.  The cushion can not be thick enough either.

gob09

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

WildTigerTrout

Good HEAVY duty and padded vest straps. You can carry more weight and still be comfortable.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

TRKYHTR

Why don't they just make the pockets, that are horizontel with the ground, with a large flap over the pocket. So you can get in and out quietly. If the flap is heavy and long enough nothing will fall out. I have velcro. You can hear that stuff a mile away in the dark 30. The verticle pockets can have the large plastic zippers. They are pretty quiet and easy to get to. Can't have enough pockets if you ask me. You don't have to fill them all up with stuff but it ios nice when you need it. You've been on this project for a long time. Glad to see it's coming to fruition.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

mossy835

I read a good article when shopping for a commercial camera bag some years ago that might apply. With out boring you the idea is to place "all" items you want to pack or take with you in the vest on a table top and see just how (big) a bag you need but in your case how many pockets and storage areas you really need. Then walk away for an hour and think about what you forgot, go back and add the items you want to include. When this is done you have a better idea of what you need. And yes a good thick waterproof pad to sit on will top off your needs.

JELLYHEAD

Preacher, on your cushion, use a wheelbarrow inner tube with slime in it. You can pick them up cheep at wally world. Get them to cover it loosely with your camo material. This is what myself and a few friends use. I also have hunt comfort cushions, the innertube blowes them away. You can get rare earth magnets to hold in place between setup's, I found them at wood crafters. We did a velcro closure to take it in and out to adjust air pressure. If you do this make sure to put the valve stem so it is facing down! The slime will help with any puncures which we have had no problem. I hope this helps, and for $9.00 for the tube you can't go wrong. By the way it takes very little pressure .

Neill_Prater

Robin, all vests can't be all things to all people, so your idea is possibly a good one. I do regularly use two, however, because of changes in weather conditions. I have a Primos I use as a primary, but also have an old cheapie strap vest I bought on clearance at Walmart a few years ago. I don't like the pockets on the Walmart model, because they are layered, meaning you can feel something inside, but sometimes can't figure out which opening to put your hand in.

However, when it is really hot, I much prefer the strap vest because it is so much cooler to wear. I also wear it if I'm concerned I'll get caught in a shower. The material the Primos is made out of takes forever to dry if it gets wet. The strap vest is primarily nylon, I'm guessing, and will dry out quickly because it doesn't absorb the moisture. This is something I'd definitely check out when looking at possible materials for construction of the vest. Neill

TauntoHawk

Ol' Tom vestless shirt is probably the best non call piece of turkey gear I ever purchased.. magnets for silent access bungee straps for locator calls, two pot calls and strickers on my chest, and large pit zips for hot afternoons.. combo'd with a good backpack and comfortable pair of boots and i can carry calls, decoy, lunch an extra layer/rain gear along with a comfortable pad buckled to the pack and it feels like nothing.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>