News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Scary Stories

Started by Ol'Mossy, December 30, 2011, 06:25:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chatterbox

Quote from: Deputy 14 on December 31, 2011, 06:43:18 PM
I was bow hunting in southern wv about 5 years ago and the area I was hunting was about an hour walk through the woods to get to.   Me in brainy self had worked all night and used the batteries almost dead in my flashlight. So about 15 min into the walk my light died. Having been to the tree several times and having moonlight I decided to go at it in the dark. I made it to the tree in a timely fashion and was somewhat proud of myself for getting there, at which point things went to hell. As I was putting the top section of my climber onto the tree I heard something about 100 yards behind me on the logging road I was on but didn't give it much thought. About 5 seconds later I hear the creepiest growl that anything on earth could make.  As I was in the middle of a panic attack I could hear whatever it was running at me and still growling. Thank God there was a boulder in the middle of the logging road that I was able jump on at the time (tried several times later before I left and couldn't begin to get on it). Once on the boulder I could still hear it in the leaves coming toward me and growling. I had just enought battery in my light for it to flash and when I shined it down the logging road there were at least 8 coyotes standing there. I shot an arrow into the dark toward them and screamed out something like the movie Braveheart (kinda funny now) and scared them off. Waited until daylight and haven't been back to that spot since. Tried several times but get the goosebumps as soon as I shut the door of the truck.
I have heard about stories like this happening. That is one of the scariest things I have read. Gave me the chills.

Bonjour

Quote from: mason0366 on December 31, 2011, 06:21:15 PM
I got startled by coon one morning deer hunting. I was sitting on the ground . Heard someing come fling over the hill. By the time I got to my light and turned it on. It was about two feet from. It turn and ran about a foot beside on over the hill.

Then one time I was sitting in tree stand. Watching a squirel climb the tree beside of me. When got up about head high. It decided to ju
mp. It landed on my arrow and both hit the ground. If it would of came couple inchs closer it been in my lap.

I went bowhunting this morning and had a run in with a squirrel similar to this. I had a squirrel in the tree next to mine get curious to what I was so he decided to go up the tree and cross into mine. I could hear him coming down the tree so I decided to stand up. He then comes sneaking around the tree at head level and hangs there looking at me from about 6 inches away. I just froze to see what he would do and was startled to see him start reaching out at me and feeling my shoulder to try to figure what I was. I must haved moved just enough that went flying back up the tree and back to the ariginal tree and sat there for a half hour barking at me. I thought this was quite funny though and wasn't scared.

Ol'Mossy

Quote from: chatterbox on December 31, 2011, 06:45:43 PM
Quote from: Deputy 14 on December 31, 2011, 06:43:18 PM
I was bow hunting in southern wv about 5 years ago and the area I was hunting was about an hour walk through the woods to get to.   Me in brainy self had worked all night and used the batteries almost dead in my flashlight. So about 15 min into the walk my light died. Having been to the tree several times and having moonlight I decided to go at it in the dark. I made it to the tree in a timely fashion and was somewhat proud of myself for getting there, at which point things went to hell. As I was putting the top section of my climber onto the tree I heard something about 100 yards behind me on the logging road I was on but didn't give it much thought. About 5 seconds later I hear the creepiest growl that anything on earth could make.  As I was in the middle of a panic attack I could hear whatever it was running at me and still growling. Thank God there was a boulder in the middle of the logging road that I was able jump on at the time (tried several times later before I left and couldn't begin to get on it). Once on the boulder I could still hear it in the leaves coming toward me and growling. I had just enought battery in my light for it to flash and when I shined it down the logging road there were at least 8 coyotes standing there. I shot an arrow into the dark toward them and screamed out something like the movie Braveheart (kinda funny now) and scared them off. Waited until daylight and haven't been back to that spot since. Tried several times but get the goosebumps as soon as I shut the door of the truck.
I have heard about stories like this happening. That is one of the scariest things I have read. Gave me the chills.

That story reminds me of one my buddy told me what happened to him. He was bowhunting in the evening once, right before dark as he was climbing down his tree he saw 3 deer run past him like their tails were on fire. He really didn't think anything about it. As he was walking to his truck with his treestand on his back, a pack of coyotes came running towards him yipping and growling. He quickly shed his treestand and dropped his bow then climbed a tree as fast as he could.  The coyotes then circled the tree barking and growling at him. He started yelling at them and about 20 minutes later they all left. By then it was getting dark. He climbed out of the tree and ran as fast as he could to his vehicle. He went back the next day armed to get his bow and treestand. The whole time he was telling me this I was laughing so hard. He didn't think it was funny though.  ;D

Longbeardfever4ever

Lol guys these stories are great!!

I don't have a story of my own.. although the first time I heard coyotes in the woods I was alone, unnerved me a bit.

But my buddy was burning the trash outside his farm one day in a burner barrel..  He starts walking away from the barrel and a coon comes flying out of the barrel squalling; it was on fire!!! He flipped out and didn't know what to do as this flaming raccoon runs away. Well he was afraid it was going to catch one of the building on fire so he chased after it and stomped it to death with his boot.  One of the funniest stories I've ever heard in person.
Hook's Custom Calls
Keep The Fever Custom Calls
Romans 3:24

Deputy 14

Quote from: Longbeardfever4ever on December 31, 2011, 09:45:40 PM

But my buddy was burning the trash outside his farm one day in a burner barrel..  He starts walking away from the barrel and a coon comes flying out of the barrel squalling; it was on fire!!! He flipped out and didn't know what to do as this flaming raccoon runs away. Well he was afraid it was going to catch one of the building on fire so he chased after it and stomped it to death with his boot.  One of the funniest stories I've ever heard in person.

That is quite possibly the funniest thing I have ever heard.

Eric Gregg

Nice thread!
Gues I will chime in here.
I was deer hunting one evening and it was really windy. I was positioned looking down a road in the middle of cut over that had been planted with rye grass earlier that year to prevent washing. The grass was really good, and I found a spot where I could watch about 100 yds or so down this road. I was laying flat on my belly with my gun propped up on my back pack when I hear the distinct yipping of a coyote to my right coming out of the cutover. The coyote comes out 5 yards in front of me, crosses directly in front of me, the turns to his left and walks 4 yards parallel of me (I am still on my belly). He catches sight of me, stops, and turns around and trots off about 10-15 yds in front of me and stops.
We stare at each other for at least 10 minutes. Finally, the coyote turns and walks away. About his second step a Bobcat jumps out of the brush, way lays the coyote and rolls him across the road. The last view I caught of the coyote was him gettin up and running into the brush, and the bobcat pouncing on him.
I heard the most aweful, screams coming out of that brush as that bobcat killed that coyote. I wanted to kill the cat, but didn't know where it was as I couldn't see it. I got outta there.
A couple of weeks later I come back and was in the same location. I heard a distinct snarl/growl to my right but can't see anything. Had to be the bobcat.
I turkey hunt around the same area, and I can tell you there isn't a moment when I am calling that I am not checking my 6 oclock to make sure that bobcat doesn't think I am breakfast.

Eric Gregg

Quote from: PaTurkHntr on December 31, 2011, 06:05:18 AM
I just remembered another one. My cousin and I were hunting a certain gobbler that came into a field just about every day. I told him we would get to the edge of the field well before daylight and get set up with decoys. So off we went and set up early, we were sitting there waiting for it to get daylight when a thunder storm rolled in. Lightning was streaking across the sky and it was pouring down with rain. I don't know what made me do this, but I looked around behind me in the woods and saw a round blue light floating through the trees.  I nudged my cousin and said look behind you. He said that's probably someone walking up the road to the field. I said, RON that road isn't THAT close to us. He said, you're right. I had a chill go up my spine.

This is ironic.........my father in law had the same type of thing happen with him while hunting. He was walking down a road when he noticed a round, red light following him behind him. It floated. My father in law doesn't make stories up like this. I wish that I could remember more details..... I go hunting there and you better believe that this story freaks me out when I am walking down that old dirt road in the middle of nowhere.

mightyjoeyoung

Probably 8 years ago, My then buddy Joe and I were walking up the hill on an old logging road behind one of the local reservoirs to try and get him his spring bird.   I had already filled my tag the opening day and was along just to call for him.  He was about 10 feet behind me and as we walked in, I was doing the "locating".  Just as I crested a little rise on the logging road, I spotted this browninsh/grey lump in the middle of the road maybe 6 feet in front of me.  I hunt the area very often, taking my first buck on that hill some 27 years ago, and I did not remember "that rock" in the path.  I stopped and as my foot came down, The "lump" let out the most blood curdlling, hissing growl I have ever heard and the mangiest, ugliest coyote...or chupacabra, I don't know, :help:  rose up from the ground and snarled at me, its hackles all raised up from what hair it had left on its body.  I didn't have my 835 with my and my buddy Joe didn't realize what was going on until he literally ran into me.  I YANKED the gun out of his hands and shouldered it, aiming at the coyote, only to pull the trigger on an empty chamber as he hadn't even loaded it yet.  At the CLICK, the coyote didn't run, he didn't even flinch.  He just kind of "slithered" away into the blackberry thicket, producing this horrible, gurgling grown the whole time.  I couldn't move for probably 15 minutes after that, and believe me, Joe's gun got loaded toot sweet!

One other time when I was had just turned 19, I was hunting fall turkey and I had just broken up a big flock after only getting into the woods maybe 5 minute prior.  I sat down and started to kee kee and less than 30 seconds later got answers from every direction.  I was carrying the old "Long Tom",  a full choke 30" barrel, single shot H&R.  I was sure this was going to be the quickest fall turkey hunt in history, but then all the calling simply stopped.  I was scanning the hemlock bottom where I saw about half the flock break into when I heard leaves crunching behind me and off my right shoulder.  I didn't kick any birds that way but thought maybe one had circled back to find the flock.  That's when I heard the panting!  From my right, less than 6 feet from me I see a coyote come into view.  I had never seen one in PA, let alone less than 10 feet from...and obviously stalking my calling!  He was up wind of me and had no clue I was there but he had to sense the lump against the tree wasn't supposed to be there because as I turned ever so slowly to get a better look at him, he stared right at me, a that "holy $#!T" look on his face.  He about turned himself inside out trying to get away from me!  I never did get a shot at him.  BTW.  That was 1991.  Long before the PGC had supposedly "transplanted" coyotes into the state.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

guesswho

Quote from: Neill_Prater on December 31, 2011, 11:17:22 AM
Quote from: guesswho on December 30, 2011, 08:49:24 PM
I've never really been scared while hunting but I did find myself in an eerie situation one time while turkey hunting.

I was engaged with a hot gobbling bird in Georgia close to a not so old moonshine steel.  He was moving parallel with my location.  I let him move far enough for it to be safe for me to move.  While I was waiting for him to move far enough I spotted what looked like the base of a shed deer antler.  Once I decided it was safe to reposition I figured I'd pick up the shed before falling in behind the gobbler.  When I got to it I realized it was the entire leg from human remains from the hip joint all the way to the foot.   What I had seen was the ball of the upper leg bone.   Then I noticed several mounds of dirt that looked like it may be multiple burial sites.  It's kind of eerie being deep in the woods looking at what I was looking at.   

Ronnie, I hope you did contact the authorities? Neill
Yes, I called 911 when I got back to town.  They got on to me and told me 911 was for emergencies.  I told them thet where I'm from finding body parts in the woods is an emergency.  Anyway they sent out 600 lbs. worth of Laurens County sheriffis.  There were only two of them and I didn't think they were going to make it back to the spot I found it.  It was probably a mile and a half in a straight line and I thought I was going to have to call 911 again and asked if officers down were considered an emergency.  Turned into a big cluster.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Dbrnmllr

Quote from: guesswho on January 01, 2012, 01:11:34 PM
Quote from: Neill_Prater on December 31, 2011, 11:17:22 AM
Quote from: guesswho on December 30, 2011, 08:49:24 PM
I've never really been scared while hunting but I did find myself in an eerie situation one time while turkey hunting.

I was engaged with a hot gobbling bird in Georgia close to a not so old moonshine steel.  He was moving parallel with my location.  I let him move far enough for it to be safe for me to move.  While I was waiting for him to move far enough I spotted what looked like the base of a shed deer antler.  Once I decided it was safe to reposition I figured I'd pick up the shed before falling in behind the gobbler.  When I got to it I realized it was the entire leg from human remains from the hip joint all the way to the foot.   What I had seen was the ball of the upper leg bone.   Then I noticed several mounds of dirt that looked like it may be multiple burial sites.  It's kind of eerie being deep in the woods looking at what I was looking at.   

Ronnie, I hope you did contact the authorities? Neill
Yes, I called 911 when I got back to town.  They got on to me and told me 911 was for emergencies.  I told them thet where I'm from finding body parts in the woods is an emergency.  Anyway they sent out 600 lbs. worth of Laurens County sheriffis.  There were only two of them and I didn't think they were going to make it back to the spot I found it.  It was probably a mile and a half in a straight line and I thought I was going to have to call 911 again and asked if officers down were considered an emergency.  Turned into a big cluster.

So what was ever figured out with the bones/graves?

guesswho

Strange situation.  I stopped back by the sherrifs office a couple weeks after that when I was back up there hunting, I was living in Florida at the time.  I was told it was a deer leg and it was  taken care of and not to worry about it ???  I took that as don't ask any questions, so I told them okee-dokee and went on about my business.

I didn't have a camera but did have a cam-corder.  Here's a still shot taken off the tv.  I video'd it before I left the first time.  Strangest looking deer leg I've ever seen.

BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

chatterbox

Quote from: guesswho on January 01, 2012, 03:45:31 PM
Strange situation.  I stopped back by the sherrifs office a couple weeks after that when I was back up there hunting, I was living in Florida at the time.  I was told it was a deer leg and it was  taken care of and not to worry about it ???  I took that as don't ask any questions, so I went on about my way.

I didn't have a camera but did have a cam-corder.  Here's a still shot taken off the tv.  I video'd it before I left the first time.  Strangest looking deer leg I've ever seen.

Deer leg my azz!

guesswho

Actually I got it wrong.  After I found it I went and found my Dad and told him about it.  He said you find the dangest things but I don't think you found a leg.  We went to the truck and got the cam-corder and I took him to it.  I wanted to have film to show the cops, so I actually filmed it the second time I was there.  It was kind of embarrassing showing them the tape with the audio going.  I found out my My Dad doesn't have much cooth in situations like that.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

fallhnt

My first one is funny:My buddies brother got a wild hair years ago and went to a National Forest where a black bear and cub where seen.He and his friend hiked into the area and were taking pictures when the sow charged them.This is on film.They ran,he lost his wallet,and had no money to get home.My buddy wired money to them so they could get back home.A year later a hiker in that area found his wallet a mailed it to him. Story two is why I carry a handgun while bowhunting.A year after I was turkey hunting in the Pine Ridge area of NE. some friends of mine went out on a gun hunt.As one of the guys was napping a guy from TX. put a gun to his head and told him if this was TX. he would be dead and buried!He told him to give him his cloths,gun and wallet.He handed over his gun and wallet and told this guy to shoot him in the back becouse he is walking out with his cloths on.My friend was talking to a retired game warden at his truck when his buddy came out.He told him the story and the police were called.They were waiting for the man from TX. when he came out and arrested him.The TX. guy claimed he was leasing the public ground they were hunting.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

drenalinld

The first year I turkey hunted, I was about 17 and hunting alone. I was at the top of a mountain at first faint light. Two turkeys started gobbling several hundred yards down the mountain. After about the third gobble from the two birds I was ready to go down the steep incline! At the top there was a bluff about head high and I had sat down and was letting myself down to the slope below when a roosted buzzard that was within arms lengt up under the bluff decided to make himself known with a god-awful screech/skwawk/scream. I nearly turned inside out, I somehow ended up several feet down the slope on my backside trying to figure out what happened. After a few seconds, the gobblers sounded off again and got my head right. I was back on the chase! :you_rock:

Another time I was deer hunting an archery only management area and walking a narrow food plot between the timber and crp field about head high. There was enough moonlight that I was just walking without a light. A small bobcat come out of the crp and almost ran directly in to me. It let out a growl/roar/meow that had me levitating for a few seconds. He was gone in a flash, but I let out a teenage girl scream that may have ruined my hunt.

On another occasion, I struck up several gobblers mid-morning. I had set up on the closest one and started working him. He was staying put at 80-100 yards, but one behind me had quickly cut the distance from 200 yards down to 100! :you_rock: I gave them the silent treatment and after about 15 minutes I heard walking directly behind me and very close. I froze expecting the gobbler to walk by me and shoot him after he got out in front of me. I was squinting my eyes as I do when turkeys are close. When the walking got even with me, it stopped at 3 or 4 feet to my right. I slowly opened my eyes wider to get a peak to find a big coyote staring me in the eye. I'm not sure who was more alarmed, me or the yote? I somehow landed on my feet from my butt and then I was amused and laughing until the gobbler in front of me sounded off again. I set up a little closer and called in a pair of coyotes, only one left! :you_rock: No turkeys that morning.