turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Scary Stories

Started by Ol'Mossy, December 30, 2011, 06:25:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kylongspur88

1. Got attacked by dogs when i was little out behind the house squirrel hunting. 2. Found myself on top of a mountain in the middle of a lightning storm with a tree stand and rifle strapped to my back. 3. Middle of a lake in Florida bass fishing when a lightning storm rolled in. 4. Standoff with a very large bear in Canada at dusk while dragging the bear i had just shot out.

stinkpickle

The most startled I've been was when I was sneaking out to my deer spot in the dark (back when I was in high school).  I saw something dark laying on the ground in my path.  I couldn't make out what it was, so I decided skirt around it...keeping my eyes on it at all times, of course.  While doing so, I walked right into a covey of quail.  The sound of covey flush at my feet in the pre-dawn hours when I was already on edge certainly tested my body's ability not to soil my pants.

The most recent scary moment happened two years ago when the guy pictured below brushed up against my hip while stalking my hen decoy.  I probably scared him more, though.   :D   He stopped about 10 feet away and let me take his picture.  There wasn't enough room to swing my gun barrel.  It's just freaks me out that he could sneak up that close to me (right underneath my elbow) and I had no clue.

Ol'Mossy

I just remembered another one. My cousin and I were hunting a certain gobbler that came into a field just about every day. I told him we would get to the edge of the field well before daylight and get set up with decoys. So off we went and set up early, we were sitting there waiting for it to get daylight when a thunder storm rolled in. Lightning was streaking across the sky and it was pouring down with rain. I don't know what made me do this, but I looked around behind me in the woods and saw a round blue light floating through the trees.  I nudged my cousin and said look behind you. He said that's probably someone walking up the road to the field. I said, RON that road isn't THAT close to us. He said, you're right. I had a chill go up my spine.

Woodsman4God

I was pretty deep back in the swamp I hunt, opening day deer season and I was just packing up and had just unloaded and put my gun away and heard a screech/scream come from not far away that made my skin crawl. I think it was a bobcat or something definately startled me.

Same area just 2 years ago I was just finishing up for the night and a lone coyote howled not far from me in the hills and the another and another then all of a sudden the hils sound like they were alive with coyotes, definitely had my hair standing on end. That morning my dad had mistakenly taken a whole box of shells out to his blind with. At this time I thought that that might not be a bad idea because 5 shots seemed woefully inadequate at the time.

This year my brother almost stepped on a racoon or Yote or something like that early one morning bowhunting, I heard the growl but thought it was my brother, he side stepped quickly, I thought he rolled an ankle but he said that was whatever growling at him. My son was their in between my brother and I and it rattled him pretty good.

Laslty , this one happened to one of my Uncles years ago. While deer hunting in Canada he walked out onto the bank of a small river to see 2 small bear cubs at waters edge, Immediately they start bawling when they see him. He looks around to see Mama onher hind legs looking at him. He is between the cubs and Mama. She charges ( not a mock charge either) He unloads a semi auto 30-06 into her with her last step and dying swipe tears his hunting vest and outer clothes apart welting his skin. He now has the bear head mounted after getting it form the CO's and underneath has the hunting vest framed. To this day he doesnt hunt anymore.

Crappiepro

Here's a story for ya's
I was bow hunting in the middle of October 2009 in a rural area close to the house. I was standing on the edge of a woods watching a clearing that led to a corn field a 100yrds or so away. I had my back to the woods and was still hunting my way through. I heard something behind me so I eased around and there's this guy standing there 20 yrds from me LOL. He was dressed in a leather coat with blue jeans on and a stalking cap. He had strips of cloth tied around his knees, elbows and head. His beard was real long and he was pretty dirty to say the least, I could smell this guy 10ft away. This guy started to circle around me not sayin anything. Stairing all the time while he circled me with his hands out like he was gonna jump on me at anytime.
Well, I started laughing at this guy thinkin to myself "You gots to be kiddin me", He just stopped and stood there. I said "Come on man, what hell the you doin" He said "I'm huntin people" I told him that I hadn't seen any as I was still laughing!! I then told him that he'd best be movin on cause I'm done with all this stupid sh*t and fixin to put it on em. So he backs up with his arms out and slowly walks backwards away from me. He said "Watch your back!" and then runs off throught the woods. LOL I wasnt real scared, but I didnt hunt that area anymore LOL. I think that guy was a crack head or something LOL, who knows!

Dbrnmllr

I used to hunt an area that was next to a cemetery.  Had hunted it a few times with a stand for deer.  I always wait until 1/2 hr after sun down to come out of the woods. Well that night it was a full moon so I could see out over the clear valley up to the edge of the cemetery.  I came down to my edge of the valley and walked along the edge of the timber.  I got about a half mile up the valley and I heard this...... This cross between a screech and a cackle.  Stood every hair on my body up.  Sounded like a movie special effect for a flying sic-fi creature or something.  At first I thought it was across the cemetery which meant it was 3/4 mile away but you could hear it getting closer.  It was moving fast enough that it had to be flying and the second time it cackled it was close to the near edge of the cemetery.  I don't know what that thing was, but I didn't stick around to find out either.  I only hunted that spot in light hours after that and it never panned out anything so I only hunted it a few more times.  Never hard a noise like that except in movies/cartoons.... I don't scare easy, but that night Carl Lewis couldn't have beat me back to my truck.

Dbrnmllr

Quote from: Crappiepro on December 31, 2011, 08:42:44 AM
Here's a story for ya's
I was bow hunting in the middle of October 2009 in a rural area close to the house. I was standing on the edge of a woods watching a clearing that led to a corn field a 100yrds or so away. I had my back to the woods and was still hunting my way through. I heard something behind me so I eased around and there's this guy standing there 20 yrds from me LOL. He was dressed in a leather coat with blue jeans on and a stalking cap. He had strips of cloth tied around his knees, elbows and head. His beard was real long and he was pretty dirty to say the least, I could smell this guy 10ft away. This guy started to circle around me not sayin anything. Stairing all the time while he circled me with his hands out like he was gonna jump on me at anytime.
Well, I started laughing at this guy thinkin to myself "You gots to be kiddin me", He just stopped and stood there. I said "Come on man, what hell the you doin" He said "I'm huntin people" I told him that I hadn't seen any as I was still laughing!! I then told him that he'd best be movin on cause I'm done with all this stupid sh*t and fixin to put it on em. So he backs up with his arms out and slowly walks backwards away from me. He said "Watch your back!" and then runs off throught the woods. LOL I wasnt real scared, but I didnt hunt that area anymore LOL. I think that guy was a crack head or something LOL, who knows!

You have way more patience and risk taker in you than me.  The second he said "hunting people" he would have found himself smack dab in the middle of a "predator or prey" situation.

savduck

Growing up in the Swamp you hear some pretty weird things, so as a kid you can imagine there were many scary situations. As you get older you figure out they are some bird,frog, coyote or doe deer. You start to actually enjoy some of the screams, except the coyotes.

As an adult, the two scariest moments were both busting critters out of their bed in the wee morning hours in the pitch black dark.

On several occasions, Ive walked up on wild coveys of quail roosted in the swamp thickets. The first time was probably the worst. When I stepped on them, the went every direction......including upwards. They were hitting me on the legs, in the crotch, fluttering in my face. I screamed bloody murder and came very close to soiling my pants. i think my heart skipped a beat or two. After a few moments my legs quit shaking and I got back to business, but my stomach had turned so bad I couldnt eat breakfast when i got out of the woods.

The second story is basically the same, only I walked into a pile of baby piglets and a mama Hog. I stepped right on one of the piglets and it let out a bloody curdling scream. They went scattering everywhere. they were hitting me in the legs as they ran. I think I startled mama just as bad as me. She must have been big because She took off busting brush and I could hear the thuds of her feet on the ground. i think she was long gone, but i jumped into a small scrub oak anyway until daylight came. I dont care much for pissed off mama hogs.
Georgia Boy

Neill_Prater

Quote from: guesswho on December 30, 2011, 08:49:24 PM
I've never really been scared while hunting but I did find myself in an eerie situation one time while turkey hunting.

I was engaged with a hot gobbling bird in Georgia close to a not so old moonshine steel.  He was moving parallel with my location.  I let him move far enough for it to be safe for me to move.  While I was waiting for him to move far enough I spotted what looked like the base of a shed deer antler.  Once I decided it was safe to reposition I figured I'd pick up the shed before falling in behind the gobbler.  When I got to it I realized it was the entire leg from human remains from the hip joint all the way to the foot.   What I had seen was the ball of the upper leg bone.   Then I noticed several mounds of dirt that looked like it may be multiple burial sites.  It's kind of eerie being deep in the woods looking at what I was looking at.   

Ronnie, I hope you did contact the authorities? Neill

Neill_Prater

Several years ago, I was hunting on public land in Oklahoma. There were several other hunters in the area, judging from the number of vehicles parked along the roads. Turkeys were scarce, and I saw what I am sure was a gobbler at the other end of a long field, just in the edge of the timber. I circled the field and slipped up to near where I had spotted the bird. It was on a fairly steep hill, and I was at the top. I heard what I thought was a hen clucking just down the hill. I set up, preparing to call, but before I did, I got the weirdest feeling, like I was in danger, possibly from another hunter. I never called, I just slipped back out to the open field and walked away.

I still don't know why I felt that way, whether it was just my imagination running away with me, or perhaps what I thought was a turkey, was actually a man. Either way, I just felt like it was not the place to be at the moment. I've never been that "scared" in any other hunting situation since. Neill

stone road turkey calls

Yea I saw a sasquatch, to bad I had my 1930 kodak camera( that's why the picture is a blurr) and forgot my bullets I could not shoot it. oh well yull just have to trust me. :TooFunny:
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

mason0366

I got startled by coon one morning deer hunting. I was sitting on the ground . Heard someing come fling over the hill. By the time I got to my light and turned it on. It was about two feet from. It turn and ran about a foot beside on over the hill.

Then one time I was sitting in tree stand. Watching a squirel climb the tree beside of me. When got up about head high. It decided to ju
mp. It landed on my arrow and both hit the ground. If it would of came couple inchs closer it been in my lap.

Ol'Mossy

One time while walking to my stand in bow season my flashlight started to flicker and finally went out. I thought GREAT. It was so dark I couldn't see my hand in front of my face. So I started feeling around for a log to sit on until daylight. I finally found one then set down. It wasn't 2 minutes I hear something walking in the leaves towards me. I'm thinking, what the heck is that? I got skeeerd and started yelling at whatever it was. All of a sudden the walking stopped, I didn't hear another step after that. I sat there until it got light and didn't see anything around. I thought whatever it was maybe climbed a tree or something but looked up at all the trees and saw nothing.

Ol'Mossy

Quote from: savduck on December 31, 2011, 10:10:43 AM

On several occasions, Ive walked up on wild coveys of quail roosted in the swamp thickets. The first time was probably the worst. When I stepped on them, the went every direction......including upwards. They were hitting me on the legs, in the crotch, fluttering in my face. I screamed bloody murder and came very close to soiling my pants. i think my heart skipped a beat or two. After a few moments my legs quit shaking and I got back to business, but my stomach had turned so bad I couldnt eat breakfast when i got out of the woods.

I'm sorry but that is the funniest thing I ever read  :TooFunny:

Deputy 14

I was bow hunting in southern wv about 5 years ago and the area I was hunting was about an hour walk through the woods to get to.   Me in brainy self had worked all night and used the batteries almost dead in my flashlight. So about 15 min into the walk my light died. Having been to the tree several times and having moonlight I decided to go at it in the dark. I made it to the tree in a timely fashion and was somewhat proud of myself for getting there, at which point things went to hell. As I was putting the top section of my climber onto the tree I heard something about 100 yards behind me on the logging road I was on but didn't give it much thought. About 5 seconds later I hear the creepiest growl that anything on earth could make.  As I was in the middle of a panic attack I could hear whatever it was running at me and still growling. Thank God there was a boulder in the middle of the logging road that I was able jump on at the time (tried several times later before I left and couldn't begin to get on it). Once on the boulder I could still hear it in the leaves coming toward me and growling. I had just enought battery in my light for it to flash and when I shined it down the logging road there were at least 8 coyotes standing there. I shot an arrow into the dark toward them and screamed out something like the movie Braveheart (kinda funny now) and scared them off. Waited until daylight and haven't been back to that spot since. Tried several times but get the goosebumps as soon as I shut the door of the truck.