turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Most Butchered?

Started by guesswho, December 30, 2011, 06:10:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guesswho

Ok, I'm bored again.  Two part question.  Between hunting, tv, Youtube ect. 

1.  Which call do you hear butchered more than any other.  I'm talking yelp, cutt, purr ect.  I think the most butchered that I hear every year is the cutt.   Seems like a lot of folks have no idea what a cutt should sound like.

2.  Which caller is the most butchered.  I mean diaphram, box, pot ect.  I'd have to say the diaphram.  I hear some funny stuff coming from a mouth call sometimes.

Ok, three part question.

3.  Would you tell a hunting partner if they sound horrible?  The only people I tell that they sound awful are the ones who are good.  The others are to entertaining for me to tell them.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Ol'Mossy

1. The only call I hear butchered is the yelp especially when the person is starting to learn it. They either hold the striker wrong, even if I show them a hundred times how to hold it. Then they'll run it like a girl (no offense ladies) like they're afraid to put a little pressure on it.

2. Pot call

3. Now you have me thinking on this one. My best friend is one of the best callers I know and when I get to calling around him with a diaphram he always says that sounds good, but now I wonder.  :TooFunny:

Gobble!

1) I will go with yelp. Seems that's the only call most use
2) slate
3) hell yes. It's been to the point were I have told a friend don't bring ur calls.

flintlock

Probably some dude with a diaphram on the outside of his teeth trying to gobble.  LOL!!!
If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!

hootn

heard some guy opening morning here in bama using a owl call in the national forest. he keep squaking on it up till 700 am or so till i left. i went around to see if i could find him next to his truck, i knew which road he was parked on. but he was gone. i was going to tell him to let me see the call and i was going to break it in two or show him how to use it right. it got to the point it was down right funny

scott

drenalinld

I hear the yelp butchered the most with a diaphragm. I won't tell most of my partners they sound bad but I will tell them they are calling too much or too loud.

TRKYHTR

I think the mouth call is the most butchered. Most guys can make a pot and box sound decent if they practice a little. But most people think that if they can make a little noise with a mouth call they can use it to call a turkey. Most of the time is because everybody uses them and you can't kill a turkey unless you use a mouth call.
I've been the "caller" with the guys I hunt with since the 80's. I encourage most of the hunters I hunt with to call. But I will tell them if they sound bad.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

gob09

i have to go with the yelp cause i butcher it up pretty bad sometimes myself for me to really make good yelps i have to concentrate a little and like guesswho i think i have a touch of ADHD

most of the guys i hunt with and hear call are way better than me on most calls the call i butcher up most the new anodized aluminum pot caller i got awhile back but im working on it and can call decent with other pot calls

my hunting pard. wont tell me if i sound bad but if he sounds bad i look at funny atleast thats what i been told

chatterbox

I think that mouth calls are butchered more than any other. They are by far my worst call, only because I haven't tried to butcher a trumpet yet! :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:
I think box and slates are by far the easiest to run, but I agree with Ronnie. I think guys go way to hard when they run their cutts on any call. I only get aggressive with my cutting when I'm engaging a hen that has a tom with her, and I want to get her to bring the tom closer.

savduck

1. The yelp

2. The diaphram

3. Hell Yes, Im not gonna have bad calling ruin the hunt if your with me.
Georgia Boy

Hognutz

The purr.

The diaphragm mouth call.

Absolutely, I will tell a guy his calling stinks. No need to ruin a hunt because the perp chased the birds away. I would then do the calling and try to help him out after we were done..Nobody is good from the get go. And it is much different calling to a real bird, than calling to yourself.
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

mossy835

Quote from: Hognutz on December 31, 2011, 12:09:47 PM
The purr.

The diaphragm mouth call.

Absolutely, I will tell a guy his calling stinks. No need to ruin a hunt because the perp chased the birds away. I would then do the calling and try to help him out after we were done..Nobody is good from the get go. And it is much different calling to a real bird, than calling to yourself.
I do not have anyone local to practice with so I listen to callers from this site on line to practice with.

For me
The yelp
any mouth call on my part for now.
Yes I tell my self I need more practice

But with a Gaskins call I did trick some turkeys to come in on a ridge so the practice must have helped.

Old Gobbler

For some reason nothing spells pack up and move the other direction than a guy with a box call doing fly down cackles and cutting {badly} on a early spring morning -  sometimes the calling resembles a coot { not kidding} more than anything - If some of these guys would take the time to listen to some audio tapes they would be much more effective in the woods with that same call

I have found out that getting as much distance away from these fools is the best way to kill a gobbler

But back to the cutting , it is one of my favorite calls to use , I do very high pitch cutting on a tight/thick diaphragm - and it does sometimes get them fired up good and plenty - If you have ever heard a real gobbler fight in the woods , you will hear them doing the fighting rattle as they go at it , and the hens around them will be cutting real fast - I try to mimic this scenario while hunting and it pays off consistently - Cutting if done right is a good thing

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

RaspyD

Good topic guesswho!

1. If a caller butchers a yelp on a mouth call then they are likely butchering every other call they try to make.  I think there are some callers who can make some fine yelps, purrs, clucks and kee-kees but when they cutt it sounds more like a squirrel than a turkey.  To me, cutting is a broken sequence with highs and lows and not a rhythmic series of fast monotone clucks.  It drives me crazy to hear the sounds of a squirrel when someone tries to cutt on a mouth call.

2. With some calls, either you can run them or you can't i.e. mouth call, trumpet, tube call.  The one that everyone should be able to use better than they do is the pot call.

3. I would rather help someone try to sound better on whatever call they are using than tell them they sound bad.  I've heard some turkeys that sounded pretty bad too.
Perfection Turkey Calls

Hognutz

That's the thing about callin' turkeys. You don't have to be a pro to get some of them to come to a call. It's all good.. :icon_thumright:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.