OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

I hate decisions...

Started by Holston, December 27, 2011, 06:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holston

Well, got a call from my uncle today, said he heard I was buying a new shotgun.

Told him yea, and he said he would sell me his 935.

I took it home, gave it an excellent cleaning, and carried it duck hunting this evening. 

Fired 6 shots and had 2 jams.  Didn't like the shorter barrel either (22").

Needless to say, it's going back to him, but it kinda put a sour taste in my mouth towards 935s in general. 

I did manage to find a NIB SX 2 NWTF edition (the camo model, not the wood) for a great price.

What's the word on them?

Thanks again.

Dbrnmllr

I don't have one, but you are in the minority of people that don't like them.  Might have not liked the shells you were putting thru it??  Don't know.

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: Dbrnmllr on December 27, 2011, 07:46:17 PM
I don't have one, but you are in the minority of people that don't like them.  Might have not liked the shells you were putting thru it??  Don't know.

Yup.  That and they can be finicky when over lubricated too.  I like to use a spray on dry film type lubricant like PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench with PTFE.  It won't gunk up your gun but will keep friction to a miimum.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Holston

Yea, it probably was the shells I was running, I stocked up on some steel a long time ago..they were pretty old.

There was a few more things I didn't like about the gun too, but they were all just personal opinions.

The SX2 is just a little more than what I'll have in a 935, and it really feels good coming to the shoulder.

Chances are this gun will play a double role.  Primarily it will be used to turkeys, but it'll see some duck/geese action too. 

Just hoping to get some opinions on the SX2s, as I can't find a whole lot on here or by using google to search.

maustypsu

If the SX2 fits you for just a few dollars more then it's a no brainer. 

In fairness, I'm not a fan of the 835/935 and wouldn't buy a Mossberg in semi-auto based on my experience with several.  However, there are people all over who bet their life on Mossbergs.

But brand aside it sounds like you know which one you like best and have little reason to consider the 935.

drenalinld

SX2 is a great gun. Shoots very very smooth, cycles fast, and requires little care.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Holston on December 27, 2011, 06:50:53 PM
Well, got a call from my uncle today, said he heard I was buying a new shotgun.

Told him yea, and he said he would sell me his 935.

I took it home, gave it an excellent cleaning, and carried it duck hunting this evening. 

Fired 6 shots and had 2 jams.  Didn't like the shorter barrel either (22").

Needless to say, it's going back to him, but it kinda put a sour taste in my mouth towards 935s in general. 

I did manage to find a NIB SX 2 NWTF edition (the camo model, not the wood) for a great price.

What's the word on them?

Thanks again.

I have a 935 and the SX3. I do not own the SX2 but they are essentially the same gun with some slimmer and lighter features on the X3. Both are excellent guns. I've had absolutely no problems with either and have shot both about equally. My 935 also cycles 2.75" loads even though the manual says it won't. The X3 is lighter of course but I'd be very happy with either.

I also agree that it's largely a matter of which one feels better to you.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

chrmayo

Where is your uncle located that is the gun I'm looking for.
-MAYO-

Holston