OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Snake boots

Started by ccleroy, December 27, 2011, 08:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ccleroy

Been a while since I've purchased boots and looking to get some reviews on them, I need a 18" boot and they seem to be few and far between. I've looked at the Danner Jackal's and they look sporty but kinda leary of dropping money with no review or first hand knowledge of them.

Thanks guys

fl panhandler

I use russell moccassin turkey hunters. NOT cheap but VERY GOOD boots.  They have been waterproof for 6 yrs now.  I wear them turkey and deer seasons.
Rick

gob09

Quote from: fl panhandler on December 27, 2011, 02:39:39 PM
I use russell moccassin turkey hunters. NOT cheap but VERY GOOD boots.  They have been waterproof for 6 yrs now.  I wear them turkey and deer seasons.
Rick
your not kiddin ill stick with what i got

ccleroy

I've heard that the russels were very nice boot from a few guys I hunt with, I'm just not in the position where I can justify $500 + on a pair of snakers just yet lol..... I do appreciate your advice though.

CB on the run

Try a search.  I remember last spring someone reporting on a reasonably priced pair that performed very well.

CB

lowcountry

Have you looked at the Muck Woody Armors?  Ive got a turkey season and deer season on the pair i've got and love them. 

Just a suggestion.

The Cohutta Strutter

Quote from: ccleroy on December 27, 2011, 08:56:41 AM
Been a while since I've purchased boots and looking to get some reviews on them, I need a 18" boot and they seem to be few and far between. I've looked at the Danner Jackal's and they look sporty but kinda leary of dropping money with no review or first hand knowledge of them.

Thanks guys
I recently picked up a pair of the Jackal's and plan on putting them through the paces literally this spring. So, I'll be more qualified to give an opinion after the spring season. I think a more proven Danner boot would be their Pronghorn model.
Anybody seen America lately?

Arkansawyer

My old Danners were finally about worn out last year, so I thought I'd try some snake boots last year.  I found some Lacrosse lace-ups that were a Cordura type material.  I've had good luck with their rubber boots, and the shipping and return shipping was free, so I gave them a whirl.  It did not work out!  Those suckers ate my lunch!  I tried to break them in, but they just were killing me.  I sent them back after a couple months with that prepaid postage, and Lacrosse did grant me an exchange for some rubber boots so that was good at least.

So recently I was at Cabelas in Kansas City.  They only had their private label snake boots in stock, so I tried those on.  They felt to me just like those Lacrosses.  Very stiff, and the way they buckle where the upper meets the heel cup seemed like a recipe for disaster.  I decided that maybe snake boots just arent for me, and I bought another pair of regular Danners.  I do a lot of walking in some pretty nasty terrain.

I'd like to know how it works out for you though.  I'm real curious if the Danner Pronghorn snake boots would be any better than what I've seen.

stinkpickle

Those Jackal snake boots came out right after I got the Pronghorn version.  I still like my Pronghorns, though.

ccleroy

Thanks gents, I'm thinking about just chancing it and going for them, throughout my hunting I've always used lacrosse alphas and burlys and I'll still use them for my wet tromps, I still have yet to find a snake boot that's totally waterproof like a lacrosse

timbrhuntr

Like you I have always worn the lacrosse rubber boots. I do alot of bow hunting for moose and deer, it is always wet. .Last year I bought a pair of the pronghorns and really liked them. I wore them everywhere and they never leaked once.I need to cross alot of streams and creeks and some were up to near the top of the boot and no leaks. I didn't take them off until it got really cold in December and I had to get out the insulated boots for the stand. Like I said they worked for me and I would not hesitate to buy them again. I was thinking of getting a second set as cabelas has them on $219 and I paid full price last year $239.

Neill_Prater

I realize they aren't the same quality as boots like Danners, but I've had really good luck with the Redhead boots marketed through Bass Pro. I like the ones with the zipper. Handiest thing they have ever come up with, in my opinion. If you get back to the truck and have mud on your boots, it takes all of 30 seconds to take them off, and put them back on. I also often unzip them when I set up, if it is hot, to allow my feet to cool off some. I like them so much I have 3 pair. I buy another every time I catch them on sale.

I treat the leather portions with Mink Oil, and spray the Cordura with silicone waterproofing. They are Gore-Tex lined, and I've waded water almost up to the tops, withouth a leak. Neill