Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Opinions on a Browning Maxus 12 ga bottomland camo...

Started by Turkeykiller12, December 24, 2011, 01:44:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkeykiller12

Im looking for some reviews from some hunters that have put this gun to use against some turkeys. I really like the looks of the Maxus in Bottomland and with the 26" barrel I would really like to try it. I haven't held the gun yet, when I do it may totally turn me against it or I may have to have it. Who knows. Just looking for some general reviews from some of you that have used the Browning maxus lately. If there are any that have hunted with it, do you have any trouble with the gun jamming or not wanting to eject any certain type of shell? I have a brand new 870 that will not shoot some of the cheaper "low brass" shells. It'll eject a magnum load just fine, shoot a cheap shell out of it and it wont eject the shell. If im dropping over a grand on a gun I want it to shoot any kind of 12 gauge shotshell that I decide to run through it. Thanks in advance for your input. :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an

gobble157

I got one and absolutely love it! Check the pics out below.
Life long obsessed turkey hunting from the great state of Georgia!

23 more states to go!!! US Slam bound!

ChiefBubba

I got one about a year ago for mainly duck hunting. It's a 28" barrel 3 1/2 with Mossy Oak Duck Blind camo. I've tried to pattern a few Turkey chokes and loads with mine but like you I have a 870 Super Mag that I use as my main Turkey gun. I've shot the Maxus quite a bit at the range and duck hunting and am planning a trip to Texas Goose and duck hunting with it.

The only problem I'm having with mine is the adjustment, right out of the box with the neutral set up I found the comb on mine was to high. So break the gun down and start fiddling with the shims that came with the gun. The shim that lowered the comb wouldn't get it low enough for me. I shot with it at the range some and didn't like the fit, I found I had to shoot low to hit consistently. So I got a brain storm and thought well I can put 2 shims in? Well that got the comb looking pretty good and I was able to hit targets pretty good. I actually duck hunted with it and was killing pretty good with it. The problem with that is it's really only made to hold one shim and the second one started to slip out. So what I've done now is taken one of the shim's that drops the comb and has the cast off and since they're made from plastic I just took some emery paper and sanded it down thinner on the bottom half to lower it even more.

I haven't shot it yet but I believe it'll work just fine. Once these guns with all the adjustments get on the market for a while I think some after market companies will start making different shims for them.

That being said it's a very nice shooting gun and I've been on the range shooting all different kinds of shells through it and have had no problem with any of them. I haven't jammed it yet and has ejected every shell I've put through it.  It's very easy to break down and clean with not a lot of parts.

I would recommend it anyone looking to get a gun but would advise to really check the fit and make sure it's comfortable to you. If you have any questions just ask. Chief.

Turkeykiller12

Thanks for the replies fellars. I understand the importance of the gun havng to feel right. My 870 doesn't feel right to me but it kills turkeys. I 'd love to try a maxus out and see if it fit any better than my 870. I have a benelli nova that is just about the perfect gun.

rempumpman

Have owned the brownings but not the maxus; you might also want to look at the BPS; now those are some eye-poppin', turkey-slayin' guns for sure; hope you find what you want; Merry Christmas and a happy 2012........ :jesus-cross:..... :santaclaus:
God has always provided the tree, but you never read where he built the nest.

Gus_13

I am in the same situation. I want either a Maxus or the SX3 in Bottomland. I've held and shouldered both and love both. Gonna be a tough decision. Only thing making me lean in SX3 direction is its a little cheaper and it's hard to find the Maxus in Bottomland with 26" barrel. It is gonna double as duck/turkey gun for me. I already ruled out an SP-10. That was my other option but that's way too heavy.
Strut. Gobble. Die.

allaboutshooting

I own the SX3 and have shot all kinds of different loads through it. It's a very good gun and practically maintenance free.

I have shot the Maxus pretty extensively and also find it to be an excellent shotgun.

Each gun seems to have some advantages, so to me, it's just a matter of which one fits best.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

drenalinld

My buddy has a brand new 3.5" and the pin you work the action with fell out in the water on the first hunt. Hopefully just a fluke. He also could not remove the choke to try a different one. The gun shot great, though. It is light and for me it swings like some o/u guns. I love the bottom land camo but am not crazy about the forearm. The SX3 is a winner for me. I mostly shoot SBEII.

Gus_13

Quote from: allaboutshooting on December 25, 2011, 09:33:03 AM
I own the SX3 and have shot all kinds of different loads through it. It's a very good gun and practically maintenance free.

I have shot the Maxus pretty extensively and also find it to be an excellent shotgun.

Each gun seems to have some advantages, so to me, it's just a matter of which one fits best.

Thanks,
Clark

Mack's PW has the SX3 exclusively in Bottomland. I may have to scoop it up. I like the looks and feel of it. I think it would do well for turkeys, doves and ducks.
Strut. Gobble. Die.

bunk

I like the SX3 better than the Maxus. To me the forend on the Maxus feels to square. As for your 870, I've seen several new ones including mine have the shell stick in the chamber and be hard to eject. It will quit after it brakes in or you could polish the chamber. Mine would hang up on the cheap winchesters, but after several rounds it will cycle any shell smoothly. I have theory sureshot stock and a red dot on mine and it's a great turkey gun.

Turkeykiller12

Gus_13

Quote from: Canyonhunter on December 27, 2011, 09:58:16 PM
I appreciate all the responses guys.

I went last night after work and held and pointed the Maxus, SX3, Versamax, Super Black Eagle 2, a Beretta something, Mossberg 935 and a Stoeger model as well. It was the best thing I could do. The gun shop here let me walk behind the counter and pick them up however I wanted to. I had 5 shotguns laying on the counter at one time. It definitely cleared up all the free issues I had with some and let me figure out which one was for me. They recommended shooting one if I could too do I'm going to find someone who has the top two of my choices and fire a few rounds. I'm not recoil shy by any means but it foes matter after a long dove/duck hunt. So my research continues. But now at least I'm down to two!
Strut. Gobble. Die.

Eric Gregg

Thanks,
Clark

Clark, what do you think may be causing the 870 mentioned to not throw the cheaper brass shells. Would This an extractor issue? I had extractor issues with mine before due to spring rusting.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: TeocTom on December 28, 2011, 12:58:26 PM

Thanks,
Clark

Clark, what do you think may be causing the 870 mentioned to not throw the cheaper brass shells. Would This an extractor issue? I had extractor issues with mine before due to spring rusting.

What I see most times is some brass swelling and making it difficult to extract. Of course it could be that everything needs a good cleaning. Gunk can build up and not let the extractor get a good grip on the rim. If however, it's just with one brand of shell, my guess is that it's the brass.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

RutStrut

I got a good deal on a used 28inch 3.5 black synth maxus last year.  I am not a fan of the long barrel, but with an IC choke and Winchester XR's it flat out shoots.  I really like the light weight, balance and feel of the gun along with the low recoil.  Its also very easy to strip down and clean.  I shot about 3 different boxes of turkey shells trying to pattern it and no issues with fte, load, etc.  The real test for me was in the field, it was more than effective at 40+ yards on the bird I took and my brother in law also made a longer than average shot with it on his bird. I did add the true glow rifled sights, magnum I think and they really help.