OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Have You Ever?

Started by guesswho, December 23, 2011, 08:19:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guesswho

Have you ever run across a gobbler that finally made you just tap-out and quit?   I mean give up and quit messing with him for good.   If so how many days or seasons did it take for you to give up?
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Eric Gregg

Dude, I have one that I have been chasing for the past couple of years, and he flat out embarassed me this past season. I have knick named him Dr. Evil.
Old dude is slick. I hope I get his number this year.

Gobble!

An old field bird got the best of me for about 2 days then I got out the 270

dirt road ninja

Those are the ones that make turkey hunting. The best birds are always the ones that get under your skin.

Eric Gregg

I like the Bad Bird sections in the Turkey and Turkey Hunting magazine.
Jim Spencer does a great job sharing those stories and lets you know that you are definitely not alone.

Took a friend of mine hunting, bird gobbled his head off before daylight and finally flew down. We moved to get in position, and while we moved I heard a hen start yelping. She cut us off. Her and her boyfriend went away from us onto some property we could not hunt, roughly 200 yards from us. I had a crow land over head and watched the crow watch the gobbler as he strutted on top of a hill on the land we could not hunt. Told my friend that we were good since we hadn't been busted so let's go eat some breakfast and come back right after lunch. We came back, called, and nothing answered back. So, I told friend we would go to where we were that morning and see if he would come back to that area. This was roughly 100 yds off of the road we were locating off of.

We walk roughly 50 yards from where I was locating, step off of the gravel road, I look up and 5 yards in front of me is guess who??????Before I could say "turkey" he was gone. I almost cried, bad stuff.

Flydown

Quote from: Gobble! on December 23, 2011, 10:33:18 PM

What  shame!  :(

Neill_Prater

I wouldn't say I actually quit, but I have hunted birds multiple times, then decided to try somewhere else and end up killing a bird elsewhere. In fact, that has sometimes become part of my overall hunting strategy. It is easy to get hung up on chasing an individual bird, and sometimes can be fun to do so, but many times if you just trotted over the next hill, you would have scored on another bird.

Ronnie, I hunted a bird down there in Alabama this spring that I never did kill. I had a chance once, or at least I think it was the same bird, when he was spooked by other hunters and walked into my lap, but I didn't have my red dot turned on, so blew it. He would come out on a powerline every afternoon and feed. I watched him from my a blind a couple of days, just uphill from me perhaps 75 yards for over 2 hours each day. The next day, I set up my blind where I had seen him previously. Guess what, he came out right where I had been the day before. He totally ignored calls and decoys, so ambush was the only option, and I never got the job done. My buddy John did manage to kill him later in the season after I came back home. Neill

Crutch

Yeah. I might not be smart enough to quit, but I am smarter. Had one take me to school. On the last day of season he stayed in the middle of the field and answered for a bit then walked directly away. Worked him on the first week of season also. If he doesn't see a hen walking around he goes away from you.  I learned to keep my calls few and far between but to late.
Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble:

sugarray

I haven't given up on him, but I'll be after him come spring.  He sure whipped me good though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tail Feathers

If I don't get him in 2012, yeh... :lol:

Been on him three springs and never got real close even.  One more time...
I have a better plan this year....again. :fud: :TooFunny:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

mossy835

Twice he walked across the road and onto private property, may just have to ask to hunt there next year and surprise:   :fud:

turkey slayer

Every year I always have 2 tap out right after the last day of the season.

maustypsu

Quote from: Flydown on December 23, 2011, 11:31:33 PM
Quote from: Gobble! on December 23, 2011, 10:33:18 PM

What  shame!  :(

I was hoping this post was a joke.  Two days is nothing.  How about 3 years???

We had 3 turkeys on our property for years - the 3 amigos.  Always together, never came to a call and BIG birds last season.  I finally determined to spend my season trying to ambush them without calling.  Unfortunately I filled my tags too soon.  But I was able to set up a friend on the second Saturday of the season and he shot one around 10:30am in the place I told him to sit from 9am until noon.

So the answer is I only give up for 47 weeks at a time.  And the dumber they make me look, the more times I'll foolishly try to get them.

Ferguson

Anybody that sez they haven't been beat, hasn't hunted turkeys much. Giving up? that's only by definition. Moving on, yep, but always go back time and time again or until no tags left. #4s at 40 or he's won.
David Ferguson
Eminence, MO
573 226 5939

drenalinld

I never give up, but I sure have had a few keep me up at night and always get the best of me!