OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Reccomended Reading

Started by 870BkWht, December 23, 2011, 08:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

870BkWht

I wasn't sure where to post this at so I figured it would be ok here.  I just finished reading "Practical Turkey Hunting" by Ray Eye, and I am desprately wanting something to read while waiting on the next issue of Turkey and Turkey Hunting and while waiting on Turkey Seasont to come in.  I also have both of Steve Hickoff's books and have read them both as well.  I am looking for more of a tips and tricks kind of book, rather than a book of stories, but I am open to those as well.  Does anyone have any must read books for me to know about?

I think I have some kind of a sickness, I have to read about turkey hunting, play my turkey calls, and think about turkey hunting all the time. 

Eric Gregg

My friend, it is not a sickness, it is a passion!
I would like to get my hands on a Tom Kelly book myself for some reading.
Cuz Strickland has a couple out too. That may be a good route to go if you want a mixture of how to with story.

Best of luck!

gob09

tom was at the turkey show last year selling and signing books he is a really nice guy he even had his picture made with rick and i he was the hilight of the whole day for me

ccleroy

Tenth Legion of course, Better on a rising tide, heck anything by the Colonel, and if you get a chance my favorite....Illumination in the Flatwoods.

870BkWht

Quote from: ccleroy on December 23, 2011, 08:44:06 PM
Tenth Legion of course, Better on a rising tide, heck anything by the Colonel, and if you get a chance my favorite....Illumination in the Flatwoods.

Whats Illumination in the flatwoods about?  Is it a collection of stories and tales?

zeke632

The Old Pro Turkey Hunter, by Gene Nunnery.   Old school turkey hunting at its finest. 

chatterbox

Quote from: 870BkWht on December 23, 2011, 10:51:52 PM
Quote from: ccleroy on December 23, 2011, 08:44:06 PM

Whats Illumination in the flatwoods about?  Is it a collection of stories and tales?

Illumination in the flatwoods is written by Joe Hutto and it is his story of raising abandoned wild turkey eggs from egg to maturity, without human imprinting.
It really gets into the life of the wild turkey in a way most people would never know. One of my favorites!

T-Dub

X2 on Illumination in the Flatwoods!
There is also a PBS television show that recreates the book. It is cool to watch but I recommend reading the book first.

gob09

another good read is secrets of the turkey pros a book from the North American huntnig club.. it's a good stratiegic book with a few stories in it as well it helped me out when i was first starting to hunt turkey

strutnva

Bsd Birds by Lim Spencer.  You may have read most in T&TH but still a good read.

PALongspur

Another vote for Bad Birds, I'm a huge Spencer fan. I really like the fact that he does alot of hunting on public land.

shadetree callers

Earl Mickels 3rd book is a great read also . It has alot of great turkey calls pictured in it along with tales of him killing a bird in all 49 states that have turkeys . He used a local call for all of the hunts . Anything by Tom Kelly is good reading but I will forewarn you , it takes a minute to get his sense of humor and writing style but once you get him , you will be hooked . If you want his books , contact Tom directly and he will sign them for you . For a complete list of all great turkey huinting books , contact Jim Casada at www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com . JIm is a dealer in all hunting books and has almost anything you can think of , in stock . He is a great guy to deal with too .
Bob

870BkWht

Anyone read any of Brian Lovett's books? 

chatterbox

I just ordered "Practical Turkey Hunting Stratagies" by Ray Eye.
It was reccommended by a good friend of mine a while ago, and I just pulled the trigger on the book this morning! :icon_thumright:

ElkTurkMan

Quote from: zeke632 on December 24, 2011, 10:20:07 AM
The Old Pro Turkey Hunter, by Gene Nunnery.   Old school turkey hunting at its finest. 
:z-winnersmiley:  My all time favorate read!  I am reading Illumination in the flat woods right now, and it is an awesome read.