Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

You guys really got my considering 7s.....Dangit.

Started by TheSportsman, February 17, 2011, 07:53:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSportsman

Guys- after reading all of the talk- you guys really have got me thinking about shooting the Hevi13 7s in the 3.5" 2 1/4oz load... I was thinkin of going to the range tom. afternoon to do some patterning and I am really thinkin about going and grabbing some 7s at the store before I head out.... I bet they would be devastating out of this new IC .665 I got for my 870(23" polished barrel) 

YES- I have had my doubts about the whole penetration factor that everybody on here jokes about.  Ive seen stories of birds shot at 50-55 that dropped stone dead... Ive seen where folks dug pellets out of breast bones off of birds shot at 52yds and so on and so on.

I STILL have my doubts but I havent given them a try- I am a fair guy, so the only thing I know to do is try them on paper and on the live thing.  I have 6 3.5" Magblends left...  Guess I will pick up a box of the 3.5" 7s and compare them on paper to the MB's EVEN though I know what the outcome is gonna be in terms of numbers... The 7s are gonna shatter the Blends.  I do like the velocity of the MB's better but im sure 1090 vs 1200, the 1090 will killem out to 60 yards.
NOTE-  It seems like we have all gotten caught up in numbers, esp in that 10" circle at 40yards.  I remember 15 years ago, I did like most.  I bought turkey targets and shot them. if I had 5-10 pellets in the spine and brain- keep going! The days and times have changed... HTL shot is taking over the turkey hunting world.  Dead is dead, well all can agree on that. BUT like many have said, im glad to see everybody so wrappped up in it- people are spending more time with there equipment and thats great.  I think back to the last 10 gobblers(as an example) that ive killed and I think that farthest one prob. was 30-32 yards...  Yall keep it up.  When I get done testing, I will let ya know first. Wonder what kinda numbers I am going to see... Time and weather will tell... Thanks to all.

hookedspur

Please try them they are way ahead of any lead Ive ever shot.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Gobble!

Please pattern some I was to see how they do with a polished barrel. Sounds like our setup is exactly like mine but my barrel is not polished.

ILIKEHEVI-13

That sounds just about like me before I tried Hevi-13 #7's.  I said the same things you did pretty much.  But at least you didn't let your stubborness get in the way of trying them.   :z-paddy-smiley113:

maustypsu

Yep, even this old-fashioned 30-something is thinking of dropping the big old lead pellets for some Hevi #7's.  I don't think I need them and don't think my choice of shell has ever cost me a bird.  But it is cool to see 300 pellets that close together that far down range. 

I'm not worried much about the penetration, seen and heard to much to worry about that.  But I am a lover of big holes - carry a .45, not a 9mm.  That's my hold back - big holes.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: maustypsu on February 17, 2011, 08:29:33 PM
Yep, even this old-fashioned 30-something is thinking of dropping the big old lead pellets for some Hevi #7's.  I don't think I need them and don't think my choice of shell has ever cost me a bird.  But it is cool to see 300 pellets that close together that far down range. 

I'm not worried much about the penetration, seen and heard to much to worry about that.  But I am a lover of big holes - carry a .45, not a 9mm.  That's my hold back - big holes.

Well sometimes you get more than 300 pellets.   :z-paddy-smiley113:

12 GAUGE

ROLL TIDE

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: 12 GAUGE on February 17, 2011, 08:46:50 PM
now thats what i call a pattern

That's a cheap $20 Star Dot choke that I bought from a member on here. 

The 835's seem to love the Star Dot chokes. 

And thanks for the comment. 

mossy835

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

WyoHunter

You'll have no doubt about the killing power of Hevi-13 7's when you pull the trigger on a gobbler especially the ranges you've been killing birds.  :icon_thumright:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Gobble!

they are some mean shells theres no doubt about it

AndyH

Quote from: TheSportsman on February 17, 2011, 07:53:16 PM
Guys- after reading all of the talk- you guys really have got me thinking about shooting the Hevi13 7s in the 3.5" 2 1/4oz load... I was thinkin of going to the range tom. afternoon to do some patterning and I am really thinkin about going and grabbing some 7s at the store before I head out.... I bet they would be devastating out of this new IC .665 I got for my 870(23" polished barrel) 

YES- I have had my doubts about the whole penetration factor that everybody on here jokes about.  Ive seen stories of birds shot at 50-55 that dropped stone dead... Ive seen where folks dug pellets out of breast bones off of birds shot at 52yds and so on and so on.

I STILL have my doubts but I havent given them a try- I am a fair guy, so the only thing I know to do is try them on paper and on the live thing.  I have 6 3.5" Magblends left...  Guess I will pick up a box of the 3.5" 7s and compare them on paper to the MB's EVEN though I know what the outcome is gonna be in terms of numbers... The 7s are gonna shatter the Blends.  I do like the velocity of the MB's better but im sure 1090 vs 1200, the 1090 will killem out to 60 yards.
NOTE-  It seems like we have all gotten caught up in numbers, esp in that 10" circle at 40yards.  I remember 15 years ago, I did like most.  I bought turkey targets and shot them. if I had 5-10 pellets in the spine and brain- keep going! The days and times have changed... HTL shot is taking over the turkey hunting world.  Dead is dead, well all can agree on that. BUT like many have said, im glad to see everybody so wrappped up in it- people are spending more time with there equipment and thats great.  I think back to the last 10 gobblers(as an example) that ive killed and I think that farthest one prob. was 30-32 yards...  Yall keep it up.  When I get done testing, I will let ya know first. Wonder what kinda numbers I am going to see... Time and weather will tell... Thanks to all.

Not only do they pattern great they have will flat out lay a gobbler out. I've posted this pic before but if your still not sure about #7's just ask this guy

ILIKEHEVI-13

joshua

Turkeys are as smart as hunters make em and public land offers more classes.
George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them.