OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

8 Points to Cure a Heartache

Started by T-town, December 18, 2011, 07:32:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T-town

8 Points to Cure a Heartache

Okay, not a romantic heartache, but one, no, two, of those deep cutting heartaches that come when your property owner gives you bad news about the 150 acres of land you've come to love as if it were your own. Both happened before this deer season. The first one hit this year when the landowner said the family had been talking and decided to clearcut the property. Down to the dirt. And they're going to replant it ALL in pines. While its a deer-only property (turkeys are rare there. I've only know of two gobblers on it in the last twenty years - I killed one and the landowner's son in law killed the other). Some beautiful hardwoods are soon heading to the mill. Oh the heartache.

Heartache number two came when the landowner calls me and says his son in law and his hunting buddy lost their lease on the adjacent property and would be hunting on the property I hunt. Now, they're good guys, safe hunters, and don't shoot just anything that comes by. But still, I've put in twenty years, I know where the deer are, where they bed, feed and carry on rut activity. I also know this herd is extremely reactive to pressure. I know when and where to hunt the wind. Frustration and heartache!

Now, the eight points to cure this heartache. Today was the first day I've hunted this property this year. My new partners have been in there since bow season opened October 15. The temp today was in the upper twenty's, and the wind was right. I hunted my old faithful stand. About 8:00 five does came along followed by a nice 18" eightpoint. A nice cure indeed.

CASH

A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

chatterbox

Flydown

That's a great buck Dave! Congrats on the heartburn medicine! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

drenalinld

GOLD HUNTER

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Bonjour

That's a dandy. Nice going buddy.  :you_rock:

turkey slayer

redarrow

stinkpickle

NICE!!!  I'd stick a bullet in that fatty any day!   :z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley:

HARDCORE

Great deer Dave, glad you got em instead of those other guys.

I wouldn't say a word to them about it.....you ain't seen nothin.  ;)

HC

Saylfish

IAFF 1377

T-town

Quote from: Hardcore on December 19, 2011, 06:10:30 PM
Great deer Dave, glad you got em instead of those other guys.

I wouldn't say a word to them about it.....you ain't seen nothin.  ;)

HC
I think they have him on camera, but it'll take a while before they realize they're hunting a ghost.  :)

Reloader