News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Question about turkey "coughing"

Started by Tap, December 14, 2011, 08:14:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tap

I'm new to the site. Hello to everyone.
I have a question for the biologists out there...
We have a nearly tame, old bearded hen thats been hanging around our home for years.
About 6 months ago, she developed a persistent "cough" or sneeze. This poor old thing coughs all of the time. She was roosted by my driveway last night and I could hear her coughing in the dark.
Any idea what's wrong with her? Does she have some sort of disease that could spread to the rest of the flock? We have about 60 birds hitting our feeders every day.
Another problem she has is her feathers don't shed the weather like a healthy bird. During wet weather, while all the other turkeys look dry, she is wet and haggered looking. I'm expecting her to freeze to death.
I hoping she won't spread the condition to the other birds. Any thoughts? 

redarrow

Check this site. Its about domestic chickens but should be of some help to you.
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2243

CASH

I'm going to copy and paste your question in Dr. Lovett's section.  That's a great question for him.  Since you are new, it's the third section under General Discussion
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

Tap

Quote from: CASH on December 14, 2011, 01:56:16 PM
I'm going to copy and paste your question in Dr. Lovett's section.  That's a great question for him.  Since you are new, it's the third section under General Discussion

Thanks CASH.
BTW, how do I attach a photo to a post and what is the limit of the size of the file?
When I click on the photo icon above, there is no option to go to manage attachments. I'm using a Mac.

CASH

Can't help you with the Mac, but here's links to the tutorial section and posting photos.  Photobucket is the easiest way to post photos and an account is free.

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,10.0.html
http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,6860.0.html
http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,1268.0.html

Oh yeah,  :welcomeOG:
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

Tap

Quote from: redarrow on December 14, 2011, 10:27:55 AM
Check this site. Its about domestic chickens but should be of some help to you.
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2243

Thanks redarrow.
I checked out that forum. Seems like this hen may have something called CRD. Basically a respiratory infection.
That old hen is outside right now. Just standing there, away from the rest of the flock. She does that a lot.

Something else with her is she seems to have bad eyesight. When she is eating corn, she seems to have trouble being accurate with her pecking and she has even more trouble seeing sunflower seeds.

I should probably shoot her, but we've grown attached to her. In fact I won't shoot any turkeys that are around my feeders or in my food plots. They are the "safe-zone".
Mother nature is tough.

Eric Gregg

I dunno man, you may have to help the old girl out and put her down.
Don't let her suffer.

Tap

Quote from: TeocTom on December 15, 2011, 02:04:24 PM
I dunno man, you may have to help the old girl out and put her down.
Don't let her suffer.

I hear ya.
As long as she is eating and able to get into a tree every night, I'll just keep an eye on her. Seems like the other birds don't want to bully her either. You know how turkeys can be... seems like they enjoy picking on each other and fighting. But they don't bother her. She can eat right next to a 20 pound tom and they let her be.
This flock of 50-60 are roosting right outside my bedroom every night. It's really cool watching them fly down every morning.
I had 2 walking on my deck railing today.

drenalinld

Nature will take care of her when it is time. That's awesome you live in a turkey roost. I hope you figure out how to share some pics soon.

woodwzrd

Your a lucky man to have that many birds right outside your house. I couldn't imagine the racket they must make when they come out of the roost in the morning

Tap

Quote from: drenalinld on December 15, 2011, 03:33:59 PM
Nature will take care of her when it is time. That's awesome you live in a turkey roost. I hope you figure out how to share some pics soon.

We have tons of wildlife here... deer and turkeys. It's a paradise.
Is using a site like Photobucket the only way to post pics here? Some other forums allow me to post from my computer. (I'm not exactly a geek). I tried Photobucket a few years ago and got frustrated. Maybe I'll have to try it again.

Tap

Quote from: woodwzrd on December 15, 2011, 03:40:53 PM
Your a lucky man to have that many birds right outside your house. I couldn't imagine the racket they must make when they come out of the roost in the morning

HAHA... No sleeping in around  here!

handcannon

Quote from: Tap on December 15, 2011, 05:03:38 PM

Is using a site like Photobucket the only way to post pics here? Some other forums allow me to post from my computer. (I'm not exactly a geek). I tried Photobucket a few years ago and got frustrated. Maybe I'll have to try it again.

You do not have to use Photobucket. When you hit "Reply" to a post, below the box where you type in your comments you will see "Additional Options". Click on that and a drop down box will appear with an "Attach" selection. Just "Choose File" and find the picture on your computer that you wish to post. To the right of that box is "(more attachments)". Click on it and you can upload more photo's. Hope this helps out.

Travis

Tap

Quote from: handcannon on December 15, 2011, 07:16:57 PM
Quote from: Tap on December 15, 2011, 05:03:38 PM

You do not have to use Photobucket. When you hit "Reply" to a post, below the box where you type in your comments you will see "Additional Options". Click on that and a drop down box will appear with an "Attach" selection. Just "Choose File" and find the picture on your computer that you wish to post. To the right of that box is "(more attachments)". Click on it and you can upload more photo's. Hope this helps out.

Travis

Thanks Travis.
I loaded some photos and a short video onto Photobucket and I'm going through the instructions in the link that CASH gave above. But it ain't workin with my Mac the way the tutorial says.
I'll try your way.

Tap

Here is one of the pics I have in Photobucket. I'm having a hard time figuring this out.