turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Glock owners - ???

Started by lightsoutcalls, December 13, 2011, 10:46:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightsoutcalls

I have always been a revolver fan, but hated the extra weight of the revolver I had that was built in the 80's.  I looked at a number of of semi-autos and liked several.  After reviewing velocities and penetration, I decided I wanted something in .357 sig.  (I know, I'm just weird that way... ammo is more expensive and less readily available... I just like something different.) 
   A friend recommended going to a small, local gun shop that was opened on what was formally part of the local military base.  It doesn't look like much from the outside, but walk in the door... oh, my!  I took my old Dan Wesson .357 in and let the store owner take a look as I browsed his displays.  I found a Glock 31 in .357 sig with tritium sights and 2 extra magazines for $409.  This gun is used, but appears to be in great condition.  The price is about $150 less than a new one without the night sights and extra mags.  I handled it for awhile... awhile too long...   ;D  I traded my old .357 in and put the Glock in layaway. 

I'm guessing some of you folks own or have owned Glocks.  What do you have to say about them?  I have always heard they are very reliable and hard to beat for going boom every time you pull the trigger.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Hognutz

Wendell..
I do not own any Glocks, yet. I am going to buy one after Christmas. I am going to buy a G23. It is the compact model in .40S&W. I have never wanted to own one, but my BIL bought a G33, which is the .357Sig round, and I was mildly impressed. Great trigger, easy to take down, reliable, and butt ugly. I never did care for the looks of them, but that is another story. After seeing his, I am willing to make the purchase. I have done my homework, and am becoming quite familiar with the Glock line of pistols.

I would say that you got a good deal. The G31 is the full size model, i.e. full magazine and long barrel. The .357Sig is a great round. Only the 10mm is more potent in the Glock platform. The shells are more expensive and harder to find, but if you do your homework, they can be had.. It is a smokin' round..For self defense, you can't go wrong..Enjoy your new pistol and let us know how it works out..Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

lightsoutcalls

Mike,
   I'm with you on the "butt ugly" part.  I wanted a model 32, the compact .357 SIG, which he had in the store for only $39 more.  I handled them both and just liked the feel of the longer grip.  I have a feeling it is going to grow on me.  I wanted something I could get accessories for, which was impossible for a Dan Wesson (my old revolver).  I like the idea of the lighter weight, and will be more likely to carry it more frequently on hunts and want to get my concealed carried permit in the upcoming year. 
   I found some decent deals on Sportsmans Guide for ammo and recently joined their Buyers Club, so I get a 10% discount on everything I buy from them.  I'm looking at the 147 grain Hornady XTP rounds for woods carry. 

Hognutz

By handling them both, you know which one is the right one. The longer grip, mag capacity and sight radius, is all good.
Do you happen to know what generation your new Glock is? I am going to buy the gen 4. It has a few extra ammenities..They offer both the gen 3 and gen 4.

Enjoy!!

lightsoutcalls

It doesn't have the replaceable "backstrap?"... maybe not the right term.  I'm guessing Gen. 3.  It felt good and I was pleased to find it at the price.

Hognutz

The replaceable backstrap is gen 4. If yours has finger grooves and no replaceable straps then it is a gen 3 that you are getting. They are all good.. As long as it felt good in your hands, that's all that counts...I can't wait to get a range report from you.   :you_rock:   Keep me posted..Mike

West Augusta

I don't have any guns.  Honest.

Well, maybe just two shotguns and a .22 but that's it. :TooFunny:
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Holston

I've currently got 2. 

G17 for practice, IDPA practice, burning through cheap ammo, et.

G29 for carrying purposes

What can I say about them, well, they plain out work and can shoot better than I can.   That's about all I'd ever ask of a pistol.

I've always looked at Glocks as tools, whereas something like a 1911 is a machine.  Tools usually don't fail near as much as machines.

Hognutz

Kevin.
I have a Sig 229 in .40. Great gun and fun to shoot. As stated above, I am going to order a Glock 23 after Christmas.. Can't stinkin' wait..Mike

lightsoutcalls

I've seen the pachmayr grip sleeves... are they worth buying?  I do like the feel of the pachmayr and hogue rubber grips.
I love the OD green.  I would have snatched one up if it was available where I "shopped".   ;D

BOFF

Glock is a great gun.

I've never owned one, as the cant of the grip is just awkward to me, and uncomfortable.

As long as what ever gun you choose to get, goes BOOM each time you pull the trigger, and you can shoot it well, it's a GOOD gun.

God Bless,
David B.

CB on the run

You can't beat a Glock for service action.  My department carries the Gen 4 model 22 40 S&W.  I'm also a Glock armourer.  All drop in parts, no machining required if something breaks.  On our orginal Gen 1 guns we had several locking block pins snap but the guns still functioned.  The orginal pins were a little too brittle and have been redesigned.  The .357 Sig is a nasty little round.  Enjoy!

CB

Hognutz

My Sig has the E2 grips. Very nice..

Tail Feathers

Good purchase!  That .357 has some snap to it.  if you are an experienced handgunner it won't be a big deal.
Those guns are tough.  Cop-proof...and cops can tear up an anvil with a glass hammer! :toothy12:
I carry a .40 cal Model 22 on duty and a 40 cal model 23 off duty.
Great guns.  Truly the closest auto to the revolver in reliability.  Load, point and shoot.  It does those things very well.
They aren't pretty but they sure are functional.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Gus_13

I think you made a great decision. I was torn between .40 S&W and .357sig. I chose the .40 as ammo was more available and also had the ability to buy a barrel and shoot the other out of it. U have the same option. Mine was the Model 22. It always shot and was VERY accurate. I had an opportunity to trade it for a H&R Handi Rifle in .444 and a Nikon Buckmasters scope. I took the deal as I have a S&W M&P .40 as well. I also use a shotgun as my home protection.

Anyways enjoy the new pistol I think you will.
Strut. Gobble. Die.