OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mind Wandering?

Started by guesswho, December 11, 2011, 06:13:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guesswho

With my ADD in full swing my mind waders all over the place.  Thought of something turkey related today that I've wondered for years. 

Turkey habits on the same piece of property year after year.   I've been fortunate enough to get to hunt some same properties for 10 to 20 years.  It's seems like as long as the property hasn't been clear-cut the birds year after year will travel and react about the same they did the year before and the year before that ect.  What I mean is I can find birds roosted in almost the same spot as previous years and they fly down and head the same way year after year, taking what sounds like the same route to get to the same areas.  Birds I'm calling in will take almost the same route coming in as birds have in years past. 

My question is do you think this behavior is learned from traveling with past generations of birds or is it terrain driven.  I always wondered if something wiped out the entire turkey population on a tract of land, then birds were reintroduced would they use the same travel routes, roosting areas, strut zones ect.  as the birds that were there before them.   Or would I have to figure out the new population.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

mossy835

You have too much time on your hands.
:TooFunny:
For me new birds never there before different actions but I could be wrong and it would not be the first time. Possums leave a trail they all follow but they are rodents?

guesswho

Quote from: mossy835 on December 11, 2011, 06:44:50 PM
You have too much time on your hands.
:TooFunny:
Thats kind of what I was thinking also ;D

So you think its learned behavior.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

chatterbox

I think what makes the birds do what they do is terrain and habitat.
I believe these things are instinctual, and are a part of their makeup. If you put an entirely different flock of birds in there, I believe they would act the same as the turkeys before them.  

gob09

i would think it is probebly both learned and terrain features

Eric Gregg

I believe that terrain plays a pivotal role. Turkeys like to feel comfortable and like seeing everything. Which ever route feels the safest is the route they will take. If that route was altered to a state where it was thick and hard to see, you bet that is going to change a lot in regards to travel routes.
Also, don't forget food availability. The birds I hunt stay the same year after year because little changes in this environment. I can bet you Dr. Evil will be roosting on the other side of that power line and will hit the ground and walk the back edge of the property to go to his favorite food plot and strutting area.
Happens all the time. And, before it is all over he will walk down that gravel road after he has breed all receptive hens looking for more....

Struttinhusker

It's my opinion (and only an opinion since I claim no expertise) that learned behavior is involved from generation to generation.  But if a completely new flock were to be introduced in the scenario you described and the food sources, desirable roosting trees, and terrain stayed the same, that new flock would eventually take up the same habits.

selinoid44

'Flush Draw' Calls
Charlie Louthain
574-527-9785

Tail Feathers

I would guess, if nothing changes such as clear cutting, they have a safe route with or to a reliable food resource and other turkeys would very likely fall into a similar pattern.
Turkeys being turkeys and all.

But this would be a great question to ask Dr. Lovett Williams on his page here.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

handcannon

I think it is more than likely instinctive behavior that is probably through repetitive behavior. Turkeys are naturally nervous by nature so known areas of safety are where they are gonna frequent the most. Kinda like me, I know that I am comfortable sleeping on the couch but if I cant get there (cause my son is laid out on it) I always have the bedroom. From each of those spots I know the best way to get to the kitchen. Sleep and food. We all need it.

Eric Gregg

Should we ask the Dr. on this one? I would be interested to know if there has been any research on this.

I heard that the ducks and geese are flying more towards LA and TX due to changes made to the highway systems. Instead of following the traditional water routes down, they are following HWY systems, which is completely different than their previous generations have done. I live in the heart of the flyway and we are not seeing as many ducks this way as we have in the past.
They are staying more on the West side of the river.

Crutch

I don't think can always seperate it from Learned Behavior and Terrain.  At some point, some old hen decided she wasn't going to walk this way or that because of a preditor ambush or a fence or visibility issues. She learned the easy, safe, most productive route and her offspring learn from her.  IMHO, a doe will take the easy route, if it is safe and the food sources are in the right location, where as an old buck might slowly move thru terrain that is difficult to navigate but he feels safe that way.

Bottom line is I believe food sources will cause a new flock to move in the same direction and then back again because of the favored roosting trees.
Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble:

anthonyjhallen

--From Oh Brother where art thou--

"I am with you fellers"

fallhnt

Thats why I think bowhunting turkeys is easy.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy