turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Howa Rifles-Opinions

Started by Gobble Nole, December 07, 2011, 11:54:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobble Nole

I am interested in looking into a new rifle for deer hunting.  The Howa's seem to be really popular and well known for accuracy as well as building actions for many major brands of production rifles.  Does anyone have any experience with them?

I am thinking about a Howa with a 4.5X14 X50mm Leupold in 7mm-08 caliber.

What caliber would you recommend, I currently either shoot a browning A-bolt .308 with a Leupold or a .270 Ruger M77 Mark II with a Nikon scope. 

I kind of like the new thumbhole rifles they have in the wood stock, look nice and from what I hear they are extremely accurate. 

Thanks, 
GN

redarrow

Are Howa rifles still in business? I know they make barrels for the Weatherby Vanguard. My BIL has a Howa and it is a fine rifle. Also the 7.08 is a great deer caliber. If you have a web site for Howa rifles could you post it please.

lightsoutcalls

http://www.legacysports.com/products/howa/index.html/

Hopefully this link is good.  My work laptop blocks all gun related sites.... grrrr!
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

redarrow

Link did'nt work si i tried   www.legacysports.com       that works

Holston

A lot of guys around here bought Howas a while back.

All have been satisfied and it wouldn't bother me at all to buy one.  Prices are still decent on them and they seem just as accurate as most Wins, Rems, and Rugers from the factory.

Actions must be fairly strong as I've seen several custom jobs built from them.

I can't see how they'd be a step above what you already own, but a new gun is never a bad thing.

natman

Howa rifles are well made and accurate. When Weatherby Mark Vs were made in Japan, Howa made them. They still make the Vanguard, which is a Howa 1500 with a Weatherby style stock and a few cosmetic changes. The Howa 1500 has also been sold as the S&W 1500 and the Mossberg 1500.

7mm-08 is a fine deer cartridge, although I'm not sure what advantage it would have if you already have a 308 and a 270.

Finally a 4.5x14 scope would be fine for varmints, but it's an awful lot of magnification for deer. If a deer is too far away to hit at 7x, it's too far away period.

TheTwistedOne

Like natman said.  The Weatherby Vanguard is a Howa.  Darn good rifles.  In addition to the rifle stock, Weatherby also adds a couple vent holes to the bolt.  This is extra safety in case of an over pressure situation.

Look around and you will find a good deal on a Vanguard.  Then get whatever stock you like for it aftermarket from http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/StoreFront.

Wingbone

I have a Weatherby Vanguard (HOWA) 270 and it is incredibly accurate. My grandmother bought it for me around 1990. Didn't know a thing about them before then, but I can't say anything but good about it. Killed my first deer with it and it's still my goto rifle if I'm hunting anything serious. I know without doubt, that if its within 300 yards, it's as good as on the ground. I have actually been looking into buying the new Vanguard S2 in .300 win mag for my elk hunt.
In Hoc Signo Vinces

surehuntsalot

they are very accurate rifles
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

WyoHunter

If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!