turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

I let a nice buck live

Started by Flydown, December 03, 2011, 08:39:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flydown

I gave a pass on a beauty of a buck yesterday. On our place we only shoot 5 year old bucks or better and this young man blessed me with his presence yesterday and he was fun to watch!  I hope he makes it a few more years! ;D

guesswho

Yep, he's going to be a toad if he makes it.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

njdevilsb

That's a great buck and will be unreal in a few years.  What do you think he is right now, 3?

turkey slayer

Flydown

Quote from: njdevilsb on December 03, 2011, 08:59:17 PM
That's a great buck and will be unreal in a few years.  What do you think he is right now, 3?

3 1/2 at the most.

gobble157

Life long obsessed turkey hunting from the great state of Georgia!

23 more states to go!!! US Slam bound!

BOFF

Beautiful deer.

Basically the same we do at our place.

Now go edit the video you made of him and let us watch it. I know you have some.  :toothy12:

God Bless,
David B.

chatterbox

He's a beauty Chris! :icon_thumright:
I envy you guys that can age those buggers. I wouldn't even know where to begin, especially when they get older.
Is it the mass of the beams, body size, or just a combination of different factors?
I figure if the deer hangs out on your property, and you can keep an eye on him with cameras, it probably would help age him.

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Ol'Mossy

Gobble!

congrats to you for letting a deer like that walk!

drenalinld

Woodsman4God

Quote from: chatterbox on December 04, 2011, 04:37:17 AM
He's a beauty Chris! :icon_thumright:
I envy you guys that can age those buggers. I wouldn't even know where to begin, especially when they get older.
Is it the mass of the beams, body size, or just a combination of different factors?
I figure if the deer hangs out on your property, and you can keep an eye on him with cameras, it probably would help age him.

I am not great at it but I would have guessed 2 1/2 to 3 1/2. His back hasnt begun to sag yet, think of a horse a little U shape to it his belly is starting to hang some but not alot so thats why I figure closer to 3 1/2. His face is still pointy looking not looking like a racquet ball for a nose, or a Roman nose as some call it. There are usually a few articles every year written on aging deer and tell tale signs to look for