OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

htl for ducks?

Started by LBSS, November 29, 2011, 02:04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LBSS

Im getting started into duck hunting this year . And im deciding on weather I should buy a case of htl like wingmaster hd or heviduck. Vs steel shot.  I know that steel is 25rds box compared to the $$$r 10 rd boxes .but if the htl is that more effective couldn't I do the same amount if hunting with half the shells if I have less cripples? 

Spring Creek Calls

IMHO anything is better than straight steel. I've been shooting the Heavy Metal in 3" 4's and having good success on mallard size ducks and below. They also come in boxes of 25 for maybe 50% more than the steel. Good luck!

:smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

LBSS

Would you go as far to say that with straight htl over the hevimetal your ratio would increase

savduck

Steel will kill them just fine. I have killed hundreds of ducks with expert 2.75 number 4s. Lately i have been shooting black clouds ( premium steel with special shape of one of their pellets) and hevi metal ( premium steel with smaller hevi shot mixed in) I feel both of those loads up my killing percentage when i pass shoot (which I normally dont do). The HTL loads do most certainly have an advantage for long distance shooting....in close your just burning dollar bills.

My suggestion if your just getting started, is to learn HOW to duck hunt. Learn to scout and find where ducks want to decoy and land. If you learn to do that, you can kill them at 15 feet and 2.75 steel #4s is all you will need.

I think shooting 3.5 inch loads with full choke for ducks is absurd. Thats what sky busters use.

Here is a video of what you should be looking for. Minutes before i took this we had tagged out for the day shooting 2.75 #6 steel.
Georgia Boy

drenalinld

HTL will increase killing range. Only you can decide if it's worth the money. If you are a disciplined shooter that picks out a single bird and takes only shots in your effective range you may love it. If you pop off three rounds into every group near your setup, you may think it's a waste of money.

I love the HTL stuff and sometimes use it on open fields. I kill a ton of ducks with Expert steel. My preferred shell is Kent Fasteel for performance at a decent price.

drenalinld

Awesome footage Del! One of these days we're gonna share a blind.

savduck

Quote from: drenalinld on November 29, 2011, 08:27:53 PM
Awesome footage Del! One of these days we're gonna share a blind.

Sounds good to me, When times get a little better we shall make it happen. Wish I could offer the same quality of duck hunts you central and mississippi flyway boys can. I plan on traveling again in a few years. Ive shot many limits on public land in Missouri and Kansas. Cant wait to start traveling again
Georgia Boy

Old Gobbler

I dont think I have used anything but #4 steel  for 30 plus years now, I see no need to change what works very well for shooting decoying ducks
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

LBSS

Im having fun also on my jon boat project.  Its getting a wood floor cargo hold in the front storage compartment in the benches and swivel seats and etc . Its painted oregano kinda like a olive drab.

Old Gobbler

Quote from: LBSS on November 29, 2011, 09:55:03 PM
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemListing.aspx?catid=8076

What loads look good?

Almost all of those loads ,and for that matter the usage of 10 gauges for waterfowling seemed to be orientated towards extended range goose hunting and not decoying ducks - I haven't  tried these yet , but to be honest if I was in the market to try a box it would be those Black Clouds {out of stock} - I keep hearing raves about it , it might be darn lethal out of a 10

The straight hevi shot in 10 box packs can get to be a pricey habit if you acquire a habit of shooting those for duck hunting

-Shannon

LBSS

I can go to googleshopping punch in the federals manufacturor # for the blackclould and it will pull o like 20 stores that have it

Old Gobbler

I would try just one box , that stuff is pricey , but..... the black cloud looks to be of the same price range of the other "run of the mill" steel loads 

- I have heard that setup right , that the Black Cloud can reach on out on there and fold them up - I was tempted to by some but to be honest the way I hunt with layouts I rarely take a over 30 yard shot anymore

-Shannon

LBSS

Yeah I dnt want to shoot past 40 yd just want to be as effective as I can inside that and take fewer shots to get my bird if that means htl or run of the mill loads .

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/182794/federal-premium-black-cloud-ammunition-10-gauge-3-1-2-1-5-8-oz-2-non-toxic-flightstopper-steel-shot-box-of-25

I git to build a blind for my boat. I plan on putting my back to the trees or hide close the the catgrass