OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

htl for ducks?

Started by LBSS, November 29, 2011, 02:04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

misfire

If you plan on shooting a great deal of ammo, I would recommend Kent Fasteel #2s or Winchester #2s. Cheap enough that you wont cry every time you miss, but effective enough to knock a duck or goose down when in range
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

LBSS

That's the thing I don't know how much I will shoot maybe 50 rds or 250 .

savduck

My suggestion would be to buy several single boxes of different brands and find which works for you, your gun, and your choke of choice.

Shannon...........black cloud is for real with the right choke( non ported or wad stripping)..........so is hevi metal. Again, if your decoying them and letting their feet hit the water, cheap steel is the way to go. No one can argue your success with those number 4s....keep those pictures coming.

LBSS...........check out Rogers Sporting Goods for shells. They have GREAT prices.
Georgia Boy

LBSS

I didn't come  this far to miss.   :bike2:

LBSS

Here's my pattern with heviduck #6 329pellet hits

LBSS

From what i've read if you fire 3 or shells at a bird then you need to use steel because you suck.  But if you know how to use your gun then use htl

tiggere

Quote from: LBSS on December 06, 2011, 06:51:06 PM
From what i've read if you fire 3 or shells at a bird then you need to use steel because you suck.  But if you know how to use your gun then use htl

I need to stick with steel then !!!!! :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: LBSS on December 06, 2011, 06:51:06 PM

2010 goose season:  1 case of winchester 3" #1 Experts...228 dead geese, not including a few finishing shots. I'd say steel works.  And/or I know how to shoot.  I'd like to think its both.  :icon_thumright:
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

gordongekko

I have been shooting wingmaster HD...I am gonna miss that load.   Still, if you have a dog and keep shots inside 30 yards steel will be fine.  Yes you'll have more cripples, but a dog will take care of those unless you're hunting deep water.   

But, if you shoot well, you can do things with HTL that will make your partner's jaw drop.
In God we trust; all others pay cash.

surehuntsalot

Quote from: Old Gobbler on November 29, 2011, 09:45:26 PM
I dont think I have used anything but #4 steel  for 30 plus years now, I see no need to change what works very well for shooting decoying ducks

exact same load here 3" 1-1/4oz #4 steel is all I shoot and been doing  fine with it for over 20 years
it's not the harvest,it's the chase