OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

More Florida layout hunting- pic heavy

Started by Old Gobbler, November 20, 2011, 04:57:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Gobbler

Well this was opening weekend for Florida duck hunting - so I visited a local undisclosed area , to layout hunt the wintering ducks. This year is proving to be very promising , with a wide variety of ducks , some we haven't seen visit the area ever before - I shot or witnessed Pintails , wigeon, teal, gadwall, mallards, readheads, bluebills, ringnecks, motled ducks, Fulvous tree ducks, Black bellies and shovelers -

I was using a pure gold Black cloud Imp cyl choke ,with cheapo regular #4 federal steel and let me tell you the performance increase was noted - give Bill Davis a hollar if you want to know more about these chokes , they rock ! first day I shot 7 shells and killed 6 ducks - had I not screwed up 1 shot I could have had a no-hitter - I'm still looking to get a 6 for 6 one day

Me and my buddy used my boat & his spread of decoys  , I took some pictures with my Iphone after limiting out - there is no zoom and the photo quality isnt the greatest , most of the ducks were with in 15 yards , for reference the farthest decoys are 30 yards out , some of the first ducks to set in were coots at daylight and they almost hit me, some splashed water on me they set in so close   

I would best guess because I used a layout boat I had over 100 ducks lock up on my spread , and more that passed real close for a good look - at this time I dont see ever see hunting ducks any other way - you set up right in the decoys , and the ducks come in with no hesitation what so ever - clean , easy shots , no cripples , and I save big time on ammo . I dont have to rush to spots , I just set up by myself and have wide open areas to myself- It is very relaxing and enjoyable

plovers

the setup minus me- the boat rises up in the rear when I am out of it- when you sit in it , it sets down 4-5 inches more - set up with a J hook decoy spread layout

ummmm....hydrilla , ducks love it , your rowing arms dont

Me and my buddies dog "breeze" with a nice drake redhead I rolled this morning - the lacrosse waders are going on season #12!!!  I refuse to replace them , I take care of them and they keep on going...

Hope you dont mind all the pictures , the ducks didnt seem to mind my sinkbox style decoys on the layout boat, the layout itself, me, or Mr Redhead taking a suntan on the deck - It was a epic hunt --Shannon
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Sherrell

Absolutely sweet my brother!!!!Shannon I do have that permit for January 8th.we are good to go.
Lets plan on a layout hunt next year.Ronnie will be graduated and we can plan on a coastal hunt...you will not be disapointed.

savduck

Georgia Boy

misfire

Thats it!!!! I am migrating south for duck season, congrats on a great hunt.
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

drenalinld

Great pics. Looks like a great morning. I love your setup. Thanks for taking the photos to share the hunt.

HARDCORE

I'll be at your place next weekend, I'm 165-168, have the ballast ready.  ;)

HC