turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Need new video camera

Started by gobbler74, November 20, 2011, 09:21:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gobbler74

Looking for a good compact video camera with good features and takes great video for hunting. You guys have any ideas? Like to edit the videos too so kinda need something thats user friendly.
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

gob09

jim unclerick has a really small one it fits in a pocket on his vest that takes pretty good video he has a jvc everio that reasonibly priced i think

unclerick

Jim I have a Everio JVC HDD Micro, that is pretty good. Got it from Wally world for around $300, it takes still pics as well. It does a pretty good job and has all kinds of stuff on it plus the battery life is pretty long. If there is one down fall to it, it beeps when you open the screen to start filming, but it's not to bad.
Before all else fails,talk to Jesus

gobbler74

Hey thanks rick..I am planning a personal cam like the gopro or kodak playsport but first need to upgrade to a relatively small HD cam with good optic zoom, light sensors for filming hunts with a dedicated camera.
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

gobbler74

TRKYHTR

First let me just say that you get what you pay for. I have been videoing my hunts for several years.I started out with a small video camera, no tripod. It didn't work for me. I wanted something I could actually see the critters. Most of the small videos have a hard time zooming in on objects that are further than 50 yards. They are great for recapping your hunt when you are setting still and only 10' away.But put a gobbler out at 30 yards and he looks like he is in the next county. Also they have very poor low light capabilities. Most of my hunting was done early at daylight. I had gobblers strutting within arms reach and the camera wouldn't pick it up because of the low light. To get a good video camera that you can zoom in and have good quality your going to have to pay 1000-2000. You should be looking into a 3 CCD camera. I had a Cannon to begin with and didn't like the low light capabilities. Then I got a Sony and it was much better. I would suggest a tripod as well otherwise you will have alot of footage that is unwatchable secondary to movement. Or it could just make you seas sick.Believe me I've been there and ruined some great footage because I wasn't able to hold the camera steady enough. I have a buddy that guides and he wanted to video some of his guided hunts. He started out with the cheaper model cameras even after I gave him my sh-peal. He is on his 3rd camera now and it would have cost him less if he would have bought a good camera to begin with. He also has some great footage of animals and hunts that are unwatchable because he didn't think he needed a tripod as well. Good luck it is addicting. If I can hep you shot me a PM.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Cove

I'm using a Sony CX110. . . it's not the big $$ camera like Joe talks about but works fine for me for now anyway. It's HD which is much better than what I was using before, takes really good video quality in my opinion. It does have sensors for low light filming but still lacks considerably when compared to the models Joe has, I can tell by looking at the footage. It all depends on what you want to invest, I carry it in my vest alot and dont want to haul a tripod hunting solo. But when calling for someone, I have the tripod. The difference in the footage is much much better.

gobbler74

Hey guys, first I want to thank Yall for jumping in..I'm sure glad to be able to talk to folks that have run cameras from a hunters standpoint. Most cam forums jump all over and its hard to get a bearing on what's good because everyone is running something different. Well to start I'm kinda after something like a Canon Hf m41...something about that level..I've got some others picked out but what do Yall think about that one?  I want to get my feet wet before diving into a 3-4000k dollar setup if I decide its something I want to get in to. Don't Yall run off because I will be throwing more at you in pms. Thanks again!