OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Flintlock'n for squirrels!

Started by flintlock, November 07, 2011, 11:46:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flintlock

I first hunted this woodlot some 30 years ago and as the rays of sunlight filtered through the trees onto the forest floor, I expressed my thankfulness to the great Creator.  What a wonderful day this would be and as I waited for the first squirrels to stir, I thought how cool it was to be afield with my .32 flinter.

I made my way to the old "snag" cedar tree to see if the great horned owls were still there, as I had seen them for years.  I was pleased to find them both there, and recounted the first time I saw them some 6-8 years ago while on a bowhunt.  What an amazing owl they are.

As the morning moved along I covered much of the woodlot, and the adjoining one too recounting the many hunts that had taken place there.  Most of the squirrels I spotted actively searching on the ground for nuts and all had to be snuck up on, something I enjoy as well. 

I always enjoy watching the smoke from 30gr of FF black powerder drift through the woodlot after the shot, not being sure if I missed or not.  But, as luck would have it, the .32 flinter shot where it was pointed and the morning ended with a good haul of big fox squirrels and a final gray squirrel, which peeked his head around the tree at 30 yards.

What a great day to be afield!
Wess
If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!

Flydown

stone road turkey calls

Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

Hognutz

That is way to cool, Wess. You need a coonskin hat to go along with that smokepole.. Very nice..Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

longspur

LX_Trkyhntr

Looks like a GREAT day in the field buddy!!  That's too cool about the owls that you have seen there for years!  Good shootn too! :you_rock:
Hook's Custom Call Prostaff, Ol'Tom's Elite Team, Vaportrail Archery Prostaff, KTECH Design Prostaff
[IMG]http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af259/OpenSeason1/oltom-logo.png[/i

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

TRKYHTR

Thats just not fair. You need to give them a sporting chance. I think you should use a sling shot. Lol

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

vaturkey

Awesome Wess !!   :z-winnersmiley:

vaturkey    :newmascot:
Vaturkey

handcannon

Your one of the few still keeping it alive. Keep it up bud.

anthonyjhallen

I was wondering the other day if you had taken that thing out this year.

Good job Wes.   :icon_thumright:

drenalinld

Looks like a great hunt. Thanks for sharing.

Old Gobbler

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: nothin better than blasting off some ol' black powder
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

nctrkyhntr