OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Bug spray?

Started by harvester, February 16, 2011, 07:12:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harvester

What kind of bug spray does everybody use during the spring after greenup?
I will tell mine a little later...

ElkTurkMan

I spray my clothes down with permonon.  While hunting, I don't use any kind of spray anymore.  I always use a thermacell.  I baught one of those holsters they sell for it, and I strap it to my vest.  I absolutley love it.  It's seems to keep the skeeters off.

harvester

Quote from: Hawken on February 16, 2011, 07:17:19 PM
I spray my clothes down with permonon.  While hunting, I don't use any kind of spray anymore.  I always use a thermacell.  I baught one of those holsters they sell for it, and I strap it to my vest.  I absolutley love it.  It's seems to keep the skeeters off.

What about seedticks?

ElkTurkMan

Quote from: harvester on February 16, 2011, 07:18:45 PM
Quote from: Hawken on February 16, 2011, 07:17:19 PM
I spray my clothes down with permonon.  While hunting, I don't use any kind of spray anymore.  I always use a thermacell.  I baught one of those holsters they sell for it, and I strap it to my vest.  I absolutley love it.  It's seems to keep the skeeters off.

What about seedticks?

As long as I keep permonon on my clothes I don't get to many ticks.  I'm not gonna say it totally eliminates them, because I usually get a stragler or two every spring, but that's usually in areas that get exposed.    

gob09

harvester

I buy the cheapest stuff I can get at the dollar store or general dollar. I always wear a leafy suit and take it off before I come in the house. It doesn't matter to me if it is ant/roach or just whatever. I don't want to spend $10 on a can permanon that will last only a couple of times. Seedticks are attracted to me like you wouldn't believe. I put enough spray on everytime I go out to last the normal person all season long. Those little suckers itch me for a week, its pure misery.

unclerick

Before all else fails,talk to Jesus

mfd1027

Permanone, regular mosquito spray (whatever's cheap) and a thermacell or two.   I deal with a lot of bugs and hate every one of them.
Dan

mfd1027

Yeah.  What is Talstar?   

Do you other guys have to deal with chiggers in the spring?   They're not too bad in Ga. during the spring but down here forget it.   I had to go to the hospital one time from chigger bites. 
Dan

keyser12ga

I use a thermacell for the flying bugs, usually sportsmans off the one with high deet around my head.  I am going to take the recommendations to try permanone this year.  I had the high deet stuff on my hands from rubbing it on my neck and it melted the polymer trigger guard on one of my guns last year.

Dan, We have chiggers really bad here, I had chigger bites from spring to fall last year, don't have so much of a problem hunting as I do fishing.  I couldn't get rid of the bites no matter what I tried.

gob09

talstar is a resrticted use  insectcide that is safe to use in the house around kids and pets its good for ant to bed bugs
we use it at work and i get it for free ya mix .5 to 1 oz per gal of water put a dab of surfactant in it so it won't wash off while walking in the high wet grass
we have the same problem with chiggers this stuff works on those too
i might've had two ticks on me last year

nctrkyhntr

Iuse the spray with the highest deet I can find to keep ticks off of me, but I also use my therma cell to keep the blood suckers away

gob09

an ole boy that works with me said when he was in the army they put a flea coller aroundone ankle and that kept the ticks off im thinknig about trying that thid yr.

mossybird

Well, every now and again, Ill spray a little but my thermacell is ALWAYS handy on my vest.

Kevin