OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkeys hearing ability.....

Started by scott ellis, November 02, 2011, 08:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scott ellis

Ever wonder about producing a tree yelp or a fly down cackle from the ground?  Do you really think that gobbler doesnt realize that you were not elevated when you gave the either of those calls?  I have actually drifted further from the traditional tree yelp and fly down........Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with giving a low level plain yelp, but I try to give it late as I can to give the illusion I'm a hen that is already on the ground.....

I just thought this would conjure up alot of opinions.....

SE

Old Gobbler

I myself am not a big fan of the flydown cackle or the tree yelp I will often even restrain myself from even plain yelping too early if I think the gobbler is likely to stay on the limb and be a loudmouth about it 

Worse case scenario is a gobbler that can see your position clearly from the limb , and stays up there gobbling until he sees miss hen , or eventually spots the hunter -I'm sure every hunter has experienced how a gobbler can zero right in on your one yelp location even from distances of 1/4 mile or more .So in my mind, a gobbler that is 200-300 yards away that hears that hunters flydown cackle will most likely spend a good spell staring right at you   

one of the biggest mistakes hunting public property with other hunters is a getting a gobbler fired up too early {still dark or not } and neighboring hunters start to move in on your position - if they don't spook or kill the gobbler that morning those hunters are more likely to hunt the area you were in, in the future - fun hunting for the next day ... :(

Every hunter needs to weigh the hunting situation at hand , the preferable hunting situation is to get him worked up just prior to flydown time in the hopes he pitches down your way - Shannon

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

CMBOSTC

I agree with you old gobbler. However, I do give him a couple tree yelps until he responds and then I shut up until he's on the ground. My hopes is that he knows where I am and decides to stroll my way.

drenalinld

I believe a turkey can and will recognize the sound is coming from the ground just as we hunters can determine if a gobbler is on the limb. I don't think a turkey can reason it is too early for a hen to be on the ground and relate it to danger nor do I believe a turkey would determine tree yelps were unrealistic because they came from the ground. JMHO.

I totally agree with Shannon. If I get a response from a gobbler on the limb, I will only call again if I hear hen or hunter competition before the gobbler is on the ground.