turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Deer decoy?

Started by wisconsinteacher, October 31, 2011, 09:56:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisconsinteacher

Has anyone ever used one?  I hunt on land that has a lot of ag fields next to hardwoods.  We see deer everytime we hunt but they are always in a different spot.  I was thinking that this time of year a decoy may bring some of those deer closer for a shot or entertainment.  I am looking at the Scarface from Primos.

redarrow

Never used one. Let us know how it works.

TClark

I think that decoy is just way cool!
My brother in laws neighbor had one similar only it for target shooting? A ten pointer came in his yard and tore that thing up. Be fun to see what happens.
Take Care and be blessed,
Terry

College Students
http://4gcellpay.com/

Crappiepro

Alot of the guys here in Indiana use a decoy. They say its best to use a doe in the early period of the rut. Spray some estrus scent on the rump and keep the decoy as scent free from human scent as possible the bucks will come to it. I thought about using one myself but Im more concerned about safety. If you get one use extreme caution because it may attract other hunters. I hunt areas that have a few others there during gun season. The buck decoy's seem to scare the bucks more than attract them from what Ive read on my state forum. Good luck, let us know how it works out.

wisconsinteacher

Well, I have been reading a lot about them.  I would never use it during a firearm season, bow only and from a tree stand.  Some guys say use a buck because does get mad seeing another doe in their area, where they are use to seeing different bucks.  Others say use a doe to attract the bucks.  One guy said that almost every buck that does see it comes for a closer look.  Like I said, I have read a lot and most of it sounds good.  I would only use it in the early stages of the rut when hunting near ag fields where deer could see it for 200-300 yards away.  Every year you hear a story about a buck that crashes though a window because they saw their reflection or a concrete deer getting mounted or attacked by a buck.  That makes me think that in the right situation, it may work wonders.

longspur

I put my target buck out one time and did some rattleing. Had some does come check it out but they wouldn't come close enough for a bow shot.

LX_Trkyhntr

I haven't ever used a doe decoy, but have used a buck decoy in the past a few times.

When they work there is nothing like having a buck walk up to the decoy ready for a fight!  But, they don't always react positively to a decoy either.

Sounds like you are in a perfect area to use it though!
Hook's Custom Call Prostaff, Ol'Tom's Elite Team, Vaportrail Archery Prostaff, KTECH Design Prostaff
[IMG]http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af259/OpenSeason1/oltom-logo.png[/i

Stoner

I have killed several bucks off a decoy and my daughters have kill a few using the decoy. My largest buck to date was killed using a decoy. This may sound simplistic but put the decoy where bucks can see it from a distance (i.e. greenfield). I never put scent on the decoy, I always sprayed it down with the "no scent products". I also used the "tail-wagger" on the decoy, I think it made a big difference. Do a google search for tail-wagger and you will know what I am talking about.

TnHunter

I have the same one ( scar face ) and it did work one time for me.
Life is good today

Old Gobbler

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon